2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

I think that’s far less likely than trump winning the EC. Two reasons. They will now be better prepared. If Biden wins then they will have ramped up security big time.  Trump has no infrastructure or apparatus behind like he did in 2020. Back then he had the defense and military and fbi and all that.  Now it’s just him and some bad lawyers. Nobody has to take his phone calls.  Defeated candidates are nobodies. I remember seeing a picture of Mitt Romney a day after the election in 2012 waiting in the taxi line at an airport. No staff.  No secret service.  He’s just a guy. The minute the campaign is over all the RNC cards are cutoff. You are just a regular schmo.  Sure with Donald it is a little different as a former potus but he’s still not in any position of power to do anything.  

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

JD Vance would be such a disaster.... as such, I suspect he's the favorite.

I think he’s the favorite to carry his mantle forward.  And Rubio… ?  What a disaster. I can’t believe I wanted him to win in 2016. 

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

I think that’s far less likely than trump winning the EC. Two reasons. They will now be better prepared. If Biden wins then they will have ramped up security big time.  Trump has no infrastructure or apparatus behind like he did in 2020. Back then he had the defense and military and fbi and all that.  Now it’s just him and some bad lawyers. Nobody has to take his phone calls.  Defeated candidates are nobodies. I remember seeing a picture of Mitt Romney a day after the election in 2012 waiting in the taxi line at an airport. No staff.  No secret service.  He’s just a guy. The minute the campaign is over all the RNC cards are cutoff. You are just a regular schmo.  Sure with Donald it is a little different as a former potus but he’s still not in any position of power to do anything.  

Also, the lackluster fundraising from small donors relative to 2020 during this campaign tells me that there isn't that sort of enthusiasm for Trump this time around.

Doesn't mean he can't win at the ballot box, obviously....

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

I think he’s the favorite to carry his mantle forward.  And Rubio… ?  What a disaster. I can’t believe I wanted him to win in 2016. 

As much as people speculate about Biden and "one heartbeat away" and all of that, boy, that should matter with Trump too. 

Rubio is a disappointment, but there's a little bit of brain matter still going on there as disappointing as the guy is. Vance, on the other hand, seems more like a modern day Manchurian Candidate to me.... just something really really off there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Also, the lackluster fundraising from small donors relative to 2020 during this campaign tells me that there isn't that sort of enthusiasm for Trump this time around.

Doesn't mean he can't win at the ballot box, obviously....

I wonder if they're just tapped out for donating to him.   Dude's been asking for money straight since 2015.  I know most of them do it relentlessly but he's taken it to another level.  

13 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

If it's Rubio who will be forced to move? Will Trump head back to NY or Rubio give up his Senate seat and force an interim election? That whole scenario could open up a whole new set of issues.

Trump cannot move back to NY - a place he has called a hell hole. Would be a total cuck move and he would get dragged constantly for it. Trump could move to NJ.

But Tuberville lives in Florida, so no reason Marco could just move out of state. The SC and the FLA SC would have no problem finding that whatever the GOP did, it was OK.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I wonder if they're just tapped out for donating to him.   Dude's been asking for money straight since 2015.  I know most of them do it relentlessly but he's taken it to another level.  

That may be part of it.... I also think the polls being more favorable to Trump this time around may be leading to some complacency as well (ie. he's already leading and got it in the bag, why do I need to donate?)

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

That may be part of it.... I also think the polls being more favorable to Trump this time around may be leading to some complacency as well (ie. he's already leading and got it in the bag, why do I need to donate?)

True.  Another thing I was wondering, although this would be mainly reflected in very recent fundraising numbers but.... NPR had a lil ditty this morning about the Trump stock, and they said that some of his supporters are buying that stock in effort to support Trump.

Now far be it for me to infer reasoning on Trumpers, but if I was a Trumper and felt compulsion to get my money into his pockets, and my choices are donating or buying stock, I'd buy the stock.   

10 hours ago, The Ronz said:

"They" won't. "They" are all voting for Trump.

Trump will win by a landslide.

If he doesn't you will have January 6th 2.0 by November 8th.

The election will be "won" by Trump by any means necessary.

Yeah, I just don’t envision where they would “all” vote for Trump after they have been turning red districts and even entire states blue or bluer for six years all across the country.

Although I can definitely envision another Jan 6-type event.

Just now, pfife said:

True.  Another thing I was wondering, although this would be mainly reflected in very recent fundraising numbers but.... NPR had a lil ditty this morning about the Trump stock, and they said that some of his supporters are buying that stock in effort to support Trump.

Now far be it for me to infer reasoning on Trumpers, but if I was a Trumper and felt compulsion to get my money into his pockets, and my choices are donating or buying stock, I'd buy the stock.   

Maybe, although he still can't liquidate any of the shares for five more months, I believe.

9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

JD Vance would be such a disaster.... as such, I suspect he's the favorite.

He’s the guy I’m rooting for! He can be campaigned against.

Well, actually, I’m rooting for MTG or Kristi Noem, but I think Vance will do.

9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

As much as people speculate about Biden and "one heartbeat away" and all of that, boy, that should matter with Trump too. 

Rubio is a disappointment, but there's a little bit of brain matter still going on there as disappointing as the guy is. Vance, on the other hand, seems more like a modern day Manchurian Candidate to me.... just something really really off there.

I believe Rubio has no spine and he would follow whoever he thinks the alpha in the room is, even if he’s president. He’s always struck me as a weasel-y follower.

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe, although he still can't liquidate any of the shares for five more months, I believe.

The NPR story said he could sooner if he got approval from the board, which would be basically a rubber stamp b/c it's his family and other trump loyalists.  

4 minutes ago, pfife said:

The NPR story said he could sooner if he got approval from the board, which would be basically a rubber stamp b/c it's his family and other trump loyalists.  

I'll believe it when I see it.

This article from AP  describes the process:

https://apnews.com/article/trump-cash-spac-digital-world-dwac-ce4b055545378ab05d52513ffe2d4d4f?utm_campaign=TrueAnthem&utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0cXqBR4-PAa_0q3DBrIHGjN1v0laR1oul855J76NQ9uVB_jidd__Nkymw_aem_AWqymsnkAY5-rDHfIsLjuHMoLRi7VX2b6r73qsvkfVOcGD9uSysHCeCaHkyDF6CrI9b6J98KQOjh0xYxzuEPew15

SO DEFINITELY NO CASH RIGHT AWAY?

Digital World could waive the lock-up agreement before the deal closes. Or, in what some legal experts say could be a more likely path, the new company’s board could decide to alter the lock-up agreement after the deal closes.

Such a decision by the board could open those directors up to legal scrutiny. They would need to show they’re doing it to benefit shareholders.

But if the value of Trump’s brand is key to the company’s success, and if easing the lock-up agreements could preserve that brand, it could make for a case that would at least spare board members’ lawyers from getting laughed out of court immediately.

Some companies’ boards in the past have altered lock-up agreements to allow investors to sell earlier.

Just now, mtutiger said:

I read the article at the time, but the excerpt again kinda paints the picture of a process that is complicated and not without legal pitfalls.

So I'll believe it when I see it.

Are you saying that you'll believe that he sells within 5 month window when you see it?

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

Are you saying that you'll believe that he sells within 5 month window when you see it?

Correct. 

As a theoretical exercise, it's clear that there's a path to doing it. In actuality, as even the AP article from March states, it's not without complication or without possible legal issues arising from such a move.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mtutiger said:

Correct. 

As a theoretical exercise, it's clear that there's a path to doing it. In actuality, as even the AP article from March states, it's not without complication or without possible legal issues arising from such a move.

Got it, thanks.   I wasn't sure if you meant you didn't believe there was a process or that there was a process and that he'd leverage it.

If I had to wager a guess I'd guess he'll raid the **** out of that company day 1 after that lock in period.   

3 minutes ago, pfife said:

Got it, thanks.   I wasn't sure if you meant you didn't believe there was a process or that there was a process and that he'd leverage it.

If I had to wager a guess I'd guess he'll raid the **** out of that company day 1 after that lock in period.   

That would be my guess as well.... although it'll be interesting to see what the share price is at that point lol

I'm not smart enough to know what that would do to the stock, maybe someone else does, but he'd also have to have buyers and if most people think he's going to raid the company why would they buy what he's selling unless they're just hard core maga (or don't think he's going to raid the company?)