2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

No it was a blue seat but it was another over performance by a democrat. 

LOL  - site is acting crazy. Was going to post this - told me it wouldn't let me, then when I refreshed the page iy had actually posted twice but you had already posted in the meanwhile answering the question. Hunter Wendelstedt must be moderating....

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL  - site is acting crazy. Was going to post this - told me it wouldn't let me, then when I refreshed the page iy had actually posted twice but you had already posted in the meanwhile answering the question. Hunter Wendelstedt must be moderating....

Are you trying to post via iOS, i.e., your phone or pad?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Are you trying to post via iOS, i.e., your phone or pad?

Laptop/Safari/Sonoma. I'm usually on a Linux machine. I do get a very occasional momentary drop at home - I don't know if it's ATT's DNS wigging out for a second or just a botched wireless access point hand-off - but when that happens linux will send an offline message to the desktop. What I'd never seen before was the message back from the site saying I was trying to post repeatedly too rapidly. Maybe Sonoma doesn't handle a drop as gracefully and was machine gunning its send buffer into a fault? One of those odd little things that will likely remain a mystery.

AT&T Fiber could be squirrely in A2, I work with some folks who's fiber is down b/c the water company cut the conduit during a road construction project.  

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Laptop/Safari/Sonoma. I'm usually on a Linux machine. I do get a very occasional momentary drop at home - I don't know if it's ATT's DNS wigging out for a second or just a botched wireless access point hand-off - but when that happens linux will send an offline message to the desktop. What I'd never seen before was the message back from the site saying I was trying to post repeatedly too rapidly. Maybe Sonoma doesn't handle a drop as gracefully and was machine gunning its send buffer into a fault? One of those odd little things that will likely remain a mystery.

I don't know what you're seeing on the actual site itself when you try this, but if it just fails without comment and goes back to the original state it was in before you started typing, this might be an Apple thing. On my Pad I occasionally get a situation where I spend several minutes on a post, and when I go to post it, it simply fails without explanation. I have since found I can back button to repopulate the box with what I'd written, which is nifty. Then I can copy and paste it into Notes, close and reopen the browser, re-post what I'd tried to before, and it usually works. Nothing like this ever happens on my Windows machine. 😎

There's another issue where, for some reason, one single word in your post will prevent the post from posting. When that happens, you get a dialog box saying something along the lines of the post you made is no longer there, or available, or something like that. When this happens, you have to repost your content one paragraph at a time until you figure out the offending word, at which point you just change the word and then it's fine. It's probably an Invision issue because that exact same thing happened on the old board as well.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

There's another issue where, for some reason, one single word in your post will prevent the post from posting. When that happens, you get a dialog box saying something along the lines of the post you made is no longer there, or available, or something like that. When this happens, you have to repost your content one paragraph at a time until you figure out the offending word, at which point you just change the word and then it's fine. It's probably an Invision issue because that exact same thing happened on the old board as well

LOL - yeah - this one is so bizarre. The bulletin board software apparently has some kind of susceptibility to magic byte strings - and it has persisted through multiple upgrades of the site SW.

It would be like if the Democrats brought out Ron Reagan Jr and he was talking about Medicare for All and expected Republicans to vote for him because he is a Reagan. The Kennedy family hasn't been relevant in decades. Ted Kennedy died 15 years ago. My mother is in her 70's and is a huge fan of the Kennedy family. Loved Bobby Kennedy and she hates Jr. She can see right through and is mad that he is ruining the Kennedy name. 

4 hours ago, pfife said:

could be a legendary backfire.   My understanding is Bannon was very influential in getting RFK to run and helping is camp pain get going.  

His anti-vaxx stance was always the biggest red-flag.... there was a poll result (I'd have to find it) that found that once once voters who were unaware of his anti-vax views were made aware of them, Republican support increased and Dem support decreased.

It's one of the defining things about his political persona, and will only be further fleshed out as this campaign goes on.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

His anti-vaxx stance was always the biggest red-flag.... there was a poll result (I'd have to find it) that found that once once voters who were unaware of his anti-vax views were made aware of them, Republican support increased and Dem support decreased.

It's one of the defining things about his political persona, and will only be further fleshed out as this campaign goes on.

I guess the theory was it would exploit the left leaning anti vaxers?   Hell idk what they were thinking because antivax is basically a trumper thing so it seems epically dumb

9 minutes ago, pfife said:

I guess the theory was it would exploit the left leaning anti vaxers?   Hell idk what they were thinking because antivax is basically a trumper thing so it seems epically dumb

Even going beyond that issue, he's also shown himself to be pretty right wing on I/P and some other issues as well....

My guess is that Bannon thought he'd be a pretty good avatar for discontent, especially with the last name, but even that assumption is flawed (especially when you consider the demographic changes of the GOP/Dem parties over time, the fact that JFK Jr. is a holy figure in Q, etc.)

Still not worried. People don’t pay attention to politics until October. Once they do, enough of them will come around. Not all, but enough. We’ve been seeing that dynamic in elections since 2018.

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Still not worried. People don’t pay attention to politics until October. Once they do, enough of them will come around. Not all, but enough. We’ve been seeing that dynamic in elections since 2018.

Thats my gut but I’m too superstitious to put it in writing.  

"They" won't. "They" are all voting for Trump.

Trump will win by a landslide.

If he doesn't you will have January 6th 2.0 by November 8th.

The election will be "won" by Trump by any means necessary.