2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

5 minutes ago, pfife said:

I'm not smart enough to know what that would do to the stock, maybe someone else does, but he'd also have to have buyers and if most people think he's going to raid the company why would they buy what he's selling unless they're just hard core maga (or don't think he's going to raid the company?)

Yeah, this is the part that's a mystery to me.... could always be some sort of uberwealthy donor (think like Larry Ellison or Peter Thiel or someone like that) rather than Ma and Pa MAGA

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, pfife said:

Good call, yeah same reasoning I had earlier re: stock vs donating but for rich dudes instead of MAGA.   

On another note, it's amazing how Trump didn't so much drain the swamp more than he restocked it with new alligators lol

Edited by mtutiger

2 hours ago, pfife said:

True.  Another thing I was wondering, although this would be mainly reflected in very recent fundraising numbers but.... NPR had a lil ditty this morning about the Trump stock, and they said that some of his supporters are buying that stock in effort to support Trump.

Now far be it for me to infer reasoning on Trumpers, but if I was a Trumper and felt compulsion to get my money into his pockets, and my choices are donating or buying stock, I'd buy the stock.   

True - capital losses are tax deductible, political contributions are not.

• Like 1

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

True - capital losses are tax deductible, political contributions are not.

hahaha I was thinking in terms of "at least there's a modicum of chance I could make money if I bought the stock" but this is obviously true as well and also funny

23 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

On another note, it's amazing how Trump didn't so much drain the swamp more than he restocked it with new alligators lol

Is it amazing, though? 😏

Posted (edited)

Margaret Brennan on CBS Face the Nation had Kristi Noem on and she was pretty bad as well, even though her chances are super slim now.  She apparently initially wrote in her book that she had met with Kim Jong Un and apparently per her repeated statement (paraphrase) "When the anecdote was brought to my attention, I requested it be removed because it was inappropriate"

All of which she just plainly read as factual when she cut the audio book read

How does one not have attention to the anecdotes in one's own book?

Edited by pfife

There's no doubt in my mind that what Tim Scott did on MTP helped his cause with Slump.   He completely and totally publicly debased himself in service to Trump.  That's Trumps #1 criteria

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pfife said:

There's no doubt in my mind that what Tim Scott did on MTP helped his cause with Slump.   He completely and totally publicly debased himself in service to Trump.  That's Trumps #1 criteria

He had to promise in advance not to be Mike "I-will-certify-this-election" Pence

Some historians say saying something along these lines cost Winston Churchill the 1945 General Election ...although i've also heard it said, the people who voted for Labour -- including a bunch of homesick servicemembers -- were really voting for change in general.

17 hours ago, pfife said:

He’s been my prediction for Trump’s VP for some time now, and it’ll go as well as McCain picking Sarah Palin.

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The GOP used to be mean.  Now, they have become the party of pussies.  

They are still mean, by which I mean, bullies as long as someone weak is nearby to push around.