2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Does she even bother to represent her state any more? Every time I see her she's not in South Dakota or says anything about South Dakota. 

Come on, how hard can it be to be the governor of freakin' South Dakota?

Edited by chasfh

9 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

When did early voting open up?

Pennsylvania doesn't have early in person voting but you can turn in a mail in ballot early. I'm going to guess not a lot of people turned in ballots over 6 weeks ago when Haley was still in the race if mail in ballots were even available yet. Pennsylvania is a closed primary so these are registered Republicans. Even independents cannot vote in a primary. This is not a good result for Trump. 

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Pennsylvania doesn't have early in person voting but you can turn in a mail in ballot early. I'm going to guess not a lot of people turned in ballots over 6 weeks ago when Haley was still in the race if mail in ballots were even available yet. Pennsylvania is a closed primary so these are registered Republicans. Even independents cannot vote in a primary. This is not a good result for Trump. 

I registered as a republican just for the primary so I could vote by mail early. I'm currently scouring the August candidate pool to see which party I should join for that primary. It looooks like Dem because the only closed primary that has any kind of race appears to be US Senate. The moment the mail ballot came in, I voted for Haley and sent it right back. She dropped out a couple weeks later. I'd be curious the mail-in ballot statistics, but I'm not really going to spend time on a Flipowski tweet. He's blocked for a reason.

Edited by Edman85

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I registered as a republican just for the primary so I could vote by mail early. The moment the mail ballot came in, I voted for Haley and sent it right back. She dropped out a couple weeks later. I'd be curious the mail-in ballot statistics, but I'm not really going to spend time on a Flipowski tweet. He's blocked for a reason.

I mean, he's screenshotting the current results. Not sure what that has to do with a Filipowski tweet. Pennsylvania had a primary and a candidate who dropped out 6 weeks ago is getting a sizeable chunk of votes. I'm not buying a bunch of Democrats in Pennsylvania switched parties to vote for Haley. Mail in ballots did not go out in Pennsylvania until the end of March after Haley dropped out. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I mean, he's screenshotting the current results. Not sure what that has to do with a Filipowski tweet. Pennsylvania had a primary and a candidate who dropped out 6 weeks ago is getting a sizeable chunk of votes. I'm not buying a bunch of Democrats in Pennsylvania switched parties to vote for Haley. Mail in ballots did not go out in Pennsylvania until the end of March after Haley dropped out. 

Confirmed. (I can't believe I'm wasting time on this, haha)

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Am I following this? Two con-competitive primaries and nearly 50% more Dems showed up to vote? What else was on the ballot?

I don't think an equal percentage of votes have been counted yet. According to CNN, 64% of Dem ballots have been counted and 48% of Rep ballots.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Is this the result of the GOP’s choice to fight abortion to appease the Bible Belt coming back to bite them in other places?  

It showed up in the recent poll where RFK Jr. -- whose is an actual card-carrying felon -- got 14% and it took most of that share from Trump.  People might not know him but they know he's not Trump.   I doubt the Biden campaign loved that it didn't all go to Joe but they at least welcome that the people who are anti-vax, conspiratorial, center-right or right are looking for a less contemptible option than Trump.  

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Am I following this? Two con-competitive primaries and nearly 50% more Dems showed up to vote? What else was on the ballot?

There were several Democratic Primaries on the ballot as well.