2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

54 minutes ago, romad1 said:

This is legendary stupidity

Some of the things wrong:

• If you go to PA to talk to a PA audience that is 2.5 hours away from Gettysburg... that would be like going to I dunno, Detroit to talk to people about Muskegon. 
  • If you talk to a PA audience about Gettysburg maybe celebrate the fact that the Union was saved there. 
  • Maybe not celebrate the confederate general who if he had only been better at his job might have been smarter about his disposition of forces.  
  • And General Robert E. Lee was a confederate general and therefore a traitor.  Of course he wouldn't be in favor. 
  • Lee was not a leprechaun and didn't talk like he was worried about people stealing his gold. 
  • He lost his great general?  Not at Gettysburg he didn't.  He might have meant Stonewall Jackson who died in May 1863.  
  • Notable:  Lee was never Bill or Ted from "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" or a member of the Bluth family from "Arrested Development" and therefore did not say "Wow, that was a big mistake"
  • Also, Lee ordered Pickett's Charge and the assaults on Little Round Top and Culp's Hill so he definitely did want his troops to fight uphill.

Biden meanwhile just spent his Saturday night in the situation room of the White House coordinating with multiple allies and defeating an Iranian attack.   He has been assembling coalitions in response to the threat to Taiwan and Russia's aggression in Ukraine.  He may be older, but he's not a drooling adderal-sniffing idiot.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, romad1 said:

• If you go to PA to talk to a PA audience that is 2.5 hours away from Gettysburg... that would be like going to I dunno, Detroit to talk to people about Muskegon. 
  • If you talk to a PA audience about Gettysburg maybe celebrate the fact that the Union was saved there. 
  • Maybe not celebrate the confederate general who if he had only been better at his job might have been smarter about his disposition of forces.  
  • And General Robert E. Lee was a confederate general and therefore a traitor.  Of course he wouldn't be in favor. 
  • Lee was not a leprechaun and didn't talk like he was worried about people stealing his gold. 
  • He lost his great general?  Not at Gettysburg he didn't.  He might have meant Stonewall Jackson who died in May 1863.  
  • Notable:  Lee was never Bill or Ted from "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" or a member of the Bluth family from "Arrested Development" and therefore did not say "Wow, that was a big mistake"
  • Also, Lee ordered Pickett's Charge and the assaults on Little Round Top and Culp's Hill so he definitely did want his troops to fight uphill.

Biden meanwhile just spent his Saturday night in the situation room of the White House coordinating with multiple allies and defeating an Iranian attack.   He has been assembling coalitions in response to the threat to Taiwan and Russia's aggression in Ukraine.  He may be older, but he's not a drooling adderal-sniffing idiot.

Oh, and 50k dead is not beautiful. 

Maybe you might say the Gettysburg Address was a beautiful piece of oratory to commemorate the situation.  And, Abraham Lincoln who freed the slaves was killed by a traitor for doing that.

11 hours ago, romad1 said:

Of the 6 Confederate Generals killed at Gettysburg only Armistead may have been the most notable, he was not great. His nickname was Lo, short for Lothario. His best friend, U. S Gen Winfield Scott Hancock was wounded about the same time 

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Of the 6 Confederate Generals killed at Gettysburg only Armistead may have been the most notable, he was not great. His nickname was Lo, short for Lothario. His best friend, U. S Gen Winfield Scott Hancock was wounded about the same time 

He might actually have been thinking of Armistead.  He was in the movie and Trump might have focused on that.   Brigade commanders are not usually what one thinks of in this regard.  The Union lost a much more significant commander in John Reynolds on the first day. 

• Like 1

The best part of that movie was watching Ted Turner get "blown up". It's been years since I've been to that battlefield need to make a visit soon.

I was about 8 the first time I went, there seemed to be a lot of very touristy then. My favorite was Charlie Weaver Museum. I was fascinated by his carvings.

https://www.gettysburgbattlefieldtours.com/tag/clifford-charles-arquette/

What does Trump mean by "he lost his great general?" Is he referring to Stonewall Jackson who most certainly didn't die at Gettysburg? Jackson was killed in May of 1863 when he was shot by his own confederate forces riding back as the Battle of Chancellorsville was concluding. Maybe he's referring to General William Barksdale, but I'd doubt Trump even knows who he is.

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What does Trump mean by "he lost his great general?" Is he referring to Stonewall Jackson who most certainly didn't die at Gettysburg? Jackson was killed in May of 1863 when he was shot by his own confederate forces riding back as the Battle of Chancellorsville was concluding. Maybe he's referring to General William Barksdale, but I'd doubt Trump even knows who he is.

My guess is he means Stonewall Jackson.  That was probably what he learned from his father when he was hearing about the KKK meetings he went to. 

This guy is touting Kristi Noem for VP based on:

Of course, he's not posting any recent picture of her—just one in black and white with poor resolution that equate to squinting.

Here, I think I can help:

image.png.b47e3f8ba9070b47d44aa4e0e810ed89.png

Ummm ... hubba hubba?

Edited by chasfh

Just now, CMRivdogs said:

I thought Mich approved mail in absentee ballots a few years ago. Maybe just for us old geezers

They have. There's no excuse mail in and 9 days of in person early voting in Michigan. The post was tongue in cheek as I'm sure MAGA will have a problem with Wayne County using absentee voting but not red counties like Ottawa.