7/2 4:10 Royales @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

Just now, Hongbit said:

I was floored when I heard that and then he went on to call Chris a cheap slumlord that doesn’t deserve to have his old man’s last name. I thought Trevor Thompson was going to explode on the spot.    Great stuff 

Yeah, but when he pulled the life sized Avila cutout from his locker and proceeded to kick it in the fake cardboard nuts over and over...well, that's just a line too far...

Just got back in and see from the box:

- Despite the crappy start by Brieske... he gutted out 6 innings and held the Royals to 3 runs. Quality start! Wow... didn't expect that after that 1st inning...

- Lange, Chafin & Jimenez hold the line with 3 knockdown innings, 0 hits 0 BB's and 5 K's!

- Losing 3-2 in the bottom of the 9th... back-to-backs by Reyes & Riley take back the game for the Tigers... Riley Greene walkoff...

Dayum!!! Nice game!!!

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wow, what Riley just said in the post game  "With Candy and Schoop in this lineup the rest of us know we have to step up and do more since they are so useless"

Wow. 

Wait.

Wut?

This can't be real. No way.

Edited by 1984Echoes

7 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

Does anyone know when the last time the Tiger's hit a homerun to tie the game and the very next batter hit a homerun to win the game?

spacer.png

I would love to know the answer to that.  Here is my guess, it has something to do with Kaline, Cash and Colavito.

3 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I would love to know the answer to that.  Here is my guess, it has something to do with Kaline, Cash and Colavito.

I saw a back to back to back HR sequence for a Tigers walkoff win at Tiger Stadium. I believe Bill Madlock was involved. Pretty sure it was a Sunday afternoon. July? 1987?

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

I saw a back to back to back HR sequence for a Tigers walkoff win at Tiger Stadium. I believe Bill Madlock was involved. Pretty sure it was a Sunday afternoon. July? 1987?

I can't wait for someone to wade through those game logs!  What a great clue.

13 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I can't wait for someone to wade through those game logs!  What a great clue.

Boom. Not quite right but not bad considering it was 35 years ago. Tigers trailed 8-5 going into the bottom of the 9th vs Baltimore on Sunday June 28, 1987. Grubb homered. Up next: Nokes homered. Then Madlock with his 3rd homer of game to tie it! Tigers scored a run in the 11th to win it. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET198706280.shtml

71141F86-A2D4-48ED-B4C2-64D02A152383.jpeg

Edited by lordstanley

16 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

September 9, 1952  Tigers 5, Red Sox 4 as Cliff Mapes & Joe Ginsberg hit back to back home runs to tie and then win it. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET195209090.shtml

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

September 9, 1952  Tigers 5, Red Sox 4 as Cliff Mapes & Joe Ginsberg hit back to back home runs to tie and then win it. 

That would actually answer Ronz’’s original question, if that was last time. Some more I found about my game which is neat but doesn’t answer Ronz’s original question.   

9E179589-8897-40A8-AA80-94EEE20BBD55.jpeg

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

2 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

That would actually answer the original question, if that was last time. Some more I found about my game which is neat but doesn’t answer the original question.   

9E179589-8897-40A8-AA80-94EEE20BBD55.jpeg

..........and Madlock with the hard slide of the century in Toronto...................

16 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

That would actually answer the original question, if that was last time. Some more I found about my game which is neat but doesn’t answer the original question.   

On the news they said the last time back to back for a walk off was 1952.   Thankfully Baseball Refence has a little "wo" next to walk off scores.

The last Tiger who had a Walk Off for his first home run?  

Lou Whitaker,   July 28, 1978.  Tigers 4, Mariners 3.    He hit it off Enrique Romo with Ron LeFlore on first base.   Dave Rozema got the Complete Game win to go 5-5 with a 2.97 ERA.   

For those of you under 30, a Complete Game was a thing where pitchers pitched an entire game.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

On the news they said the last time back to back for a walk off was 1952.   Thankfully Baseball Refence has a little "wo" next to walk off scores.

The last Tiger who had a Walk Off for his first home run?  

Lou Whitaker,   July 28, 1978.  Tigers 4, Mariners 3.    He hit it off Enrique Romo with Ron LeFlore on first base.   Dave Rozema got the Complete Game win to go 5-5 with a 2.97 ERA.   

For those of you under 30, a Complete Game was a thing where pitchers pitched an entire game.   

Here is something surprising I just looked up. After his first 4 full MLB seasons through 1981, 531 games, Whitaker had a career total of only 12 home runs (fewer than Paredes has hit so far this season, ha). Ended his career 14 years later with 244. 

8 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Here is something surprising I just looked up. After his first 4 full MLB seasons through 1981, 531 games, Whitaker had a career total of only 12 home runs (fewer than Paredes has hit so far this season, ha). Ended his career 14 years later with 244. 

If he would have come up learning to elevate his swing plane like they do now, Lou would have had at least 25 homers during those first 531 games.

Edited by chasfh

39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If he would have come up learning to elevate his swing plane like they do now, Lou would have had at least 25 homers during those first 531 games.

the other big shift with Whittaker was that when he came up he didn't pull the ball much, if at all, his favorite XBH was down the 3rd base llne. As he got stronger he started catching up and going to the pull side and that was where his power was.

42 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Before Riley 24-40,  169 runs scored,  2.64 a game

Since Riley 6-6  58 runs schored,  4.83 a game

He's energized this team.  

They are also 2/100ths off of 3.0 runs/game, which seems like an accomplishment with how bad they were pre-Greene.

It's unfair to expect him to single-handedly raise the level of play for the team, but clearly they are a better team with him versus without 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

the other big shift with Whittaker was that when he came up he didn't pull the ball much, if at all, his favorite XBH was down the 3rd base llne. As he got stronger he started catching up and going to the pull side and that was where his power was.

Ted Williams loved him.  "A little guy who can put it on the roof".

Just saw this little nugget. By the way it was nice to see Riley smoke both those balls, as good as his OBP had been up until that point he hadn't hit many balls super hard, a good chunk of his hits were opposite field flares or groundballs so this was a welcome sight.