Week One: Philadelphia Eagles (0-0) @ Detroit Lions (0-0)

MichiganCardinal

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The defense wasnt great by any means, but they looked worse in the first half when they were being overexposed by the shitty offense. They did a lot better in the second half

I wonder if the people who were complaining about the coaching staff going to give them credit for making adjustments and having a much better second half?

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The defense wasnt great by any means, but they looked worse in the first half when they were being overexposed by the shitty offense. They did a lot better in the second half

The offense failed them in the 1st half, for sure, and they did stiffen up, and there were things to like, but that 24 yarder was a real bad punctuation mark. 

Absent that play, I'd feel OK about the second half.

Of course we all want to see just one good half and some playmaking, then a whole game of competitive D.

MB is right that a very mobile QB is a killer for them.  Hopefully Wentz's so-so mobility doesn't present any special problems for them next week.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder if the people who were complaining about the coaching staff going to give them credit for making adjustments and having a much better second half?

There were mistakes.....the good news is that the mistakes in this game should be easily avoidable in future games, and as you said the adjustments seemed to work.  Hopefully that translates to an entire good game next time.

21 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Gave themselves a chance late against a legit team. The dropped passes were my biggest point of frustration, because I knew the D was weak.

The drops were ridiculous.  I hope these receivers are better than that, because if they aren't, it's gonna be a really tough year, even if the coaching and defense and running game are all clicking.

Just now, sabretooth said:

There were mistakes.....the good news is that the mistakes in this game should be easily avoidable in future games, and as you said the adjustments seemed to work.  Hopefully that translates to an entire good game next time.

I noticed they did more play action passes in the 2nd half. Goff is usually better on the play fakes. There was miscommunication with routes and a lot of drops. I really didn't think the offense was over matched. I wonder if only playing one drive the entire preseason affected them?

8 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

The offense failed them in the 1st half, for sure, and they did stiffen up, and there were things to like, but that 24 yarder was a real bad punctuation mark. 

Absent that play, I'd feel OK about the second half.

Of course we all want to see just one good half and some playmaking, then a whole game of competitive D.

For sure. I just think the thing that killed them today was having three uncompetitive offensive drives in a row in the first half.

Obviously different, but Alabama had four of those in a row yesterday and were lucky to win yesterday. Unless you have a great defense, teams generally dont survive that.

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

For sure. I just think the thing thatkilled them today was having three uncompetitive offensive drives in a row in the first half.

Obviously different, but Alabama had four of those in a row yesterday and were lucky to win yesterday. Unless you have a great defense, teams generally dont survive that.

next year we might have alabama's qb....

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I noticed they did more play action passes in the 2nd half. Goff is usually better on the play fakes. There was miscommunication with routes and a lot of drops. I really didn't think the offense was over matched. I wonder if only playing one drive the entire preseason affected them?

You're right the play-action created good space (thanks to great run-production of course), and Goff did a good job delivering the ball.

Seems reasonable to me to link the total lack of pre-season reps and the mis-comms on routes. 

After a week of angst about the O-Line, that unit performed very well, a couple of penalties by Kraemer early and another by Hock notwithstanding....can't recall if they had other P's.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

For sure. I just think the thing that killed them today was having three uncompetitive offensive drives in a row in the first half.

Very good point.  If those are spread out through the game, not as much of a problem.

Thinking back to last year, the game against the 9ers was done in the 3rd quarter. Thinking back more, the Lions losy 44-6 to a worse Philly team than they played today.

The game wasn’t done until it was done today. And they competed with what I think is a very good Philly team.

I can’t be upset. I said 9-8 and I think that’s still a possibility if Philly is as good as I think they are.

(I also predicted 41-37 final…. Not gloating…. Just saying…. 😉 )

10 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

The drops were ridiculous.  I hope these receivers are better than that, because if they aren't, it's gonna be a really tough year, even if the coaching and defense and running game are all clicking.

I feel like Goff is partly to blame here.  I know the old saying: If it touches your hands you gotta catch it.  But it seemed like a lot of Goff's passes were just not in ideal receiving locations.