Week One: Philadelphia Eagles (0-0) @ Detroit Lions (0-0)

MichiganCardinal

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Is anyone upset about Campbell's decision to attempt that onside kick when he did there? I'm not really, but they had a block of people calling in on 97.1 about it.

I was ok with the onside but I thought the timeout at the end of the half was the wrong decision for that situation.  The Lions defense played terrible and Philly was willing to run out the clock.  Take the gift and get to the locker room.  

In the end, that didn’t lose them the game.  That would be some combination of Goff not playing well enough until the end, too many WR drops, and an inability to slow down any facet of their run game.  

I never had this game circled as a win and am still trying to figure out how they managed to play poorly and yet only lose by 3 and score 35 on a good team.   

The OL was solid and the run game was better than we’ve seen in years.  Swift was unreal and I’m excited to see if he can string together a few good games in a row.   I thought the CB’s played decent which is odd considering how much ground they gave up.  The book on Hurts is to slow down the run game and take away his ability to break contain on 3rd down.  They didn’t do either and that makes it so much easier on to run RPO or PA passes.   Still thought they held up better than what I expected.   Goff had a great ball on TD throw to Chark and put the ball where it needed to be on the dropped possible TD by Reynolds.  He looked really shaky for much of the first 3 quarters.  He’s got to clean that up.    Overall it was ugly but it wasn’t same old Lions.  They showed some things tonight to build on and I expect them to beat Washington next week.

Edited by Hongbit

4 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I feel like Goff is partly to blame here.  I know the old saying: If it touches your hands you gotta catch it.  But it seemed like a lot of Goff's passes were just not in ideal receiving locations.

These are NFL receivers, they need to make those catches. The Reynolds drop in particular was a killer down by 10 early in the 4th then they have to punt. It wasn't a picture perfect pass but plenty accurate enough for Reynolds to bring it in and he had plenty of room to run thereafter so that's likely at least 3 points on that drive that were left on the field. Jamal Williams dropped one right in his hands, same with Amon Ra.  I can't remember the 2-3 other drops offhand but I seem to recall at the time that the receivers should have had it.

I'm not the biggest Goff fan but he played well enough to win this game. The offense scored 35 points and could have had more if not for the drops. The problem was, right up until the last drive, that the defense couldn't stop the Eagles. They were in position to make tackles in the backfield countless times (Hutch had at least 2 clear opportunities in the 1st alone, the one on 3rd down in the backfield on the final drive among many others) but they couldn't get the Eagles runners to the ground. I know the talent is deficient but it's time for Glenn to earn some of these accolades that people constantly throw his way.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

Just catching pieces of the Cowboys-Bucs and jealous of how the Cowboys use Parons as a stand up edge rusher, which is also how MacDonald used Hutch at Michigan.  I am really bummed the Lions are using Hutch pretty much exclusively in a three point stance and moving him all over the line.  

6 minutes ago, Hart said:

Just catching pieces of the Cowboys-Bucs and jealous of how the Cowboys use Parons as a stand up edge rusher, which is also how MacDonald used Hutch at Michigan.  I am really bummed the Lions are using Hutch pretty much exclusively in a three point stance and moving him all over the line.  

One game, they can adjust and Campbell has shown that he will do that, the opposite of the guy I hate with the intensity of a million white-hot suns.  

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I was watching the game on a phone (You Tube TV) with one earpiece during a family gathering, so I was not able to laser focus on much. 

How did Hutch look? 

He had a few really good penetrations, but whiffed on a few tackles.  Like the Lions, there was a lot of promise there and something to build on.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NYLion said:

These are NFL receivers, they need to make those catches. 

I'm not the biggest Goff fan but he played well enough to win this game. 

Yes. All the drops were inexcusable.

Meh. He would have had a better day if his receivers held onto the ball, but he didn't really look like he knew what he was doing out there in the first half. None of them did. D'Andre Swift and the OL are the ones who played well enough to win the game. 

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Yes. All the drops were inexcusable.

Meh. He would have had a better day if his receivers held onto the ball, but he didn't really look like he knew what he was doing out there in the first half. None of them did. D'Andre Swift and the OL are the ones who played well enough to win the game. 

Honestly, I don't even blame Goff for that. The coaches played him in exactly one series the entire preseason so it was no wonder that he and the receivers were out of sync in the first half. I hate to keep harping on the coaches but it seemed like they really didn't have the team prepared for this game for the most part, first offensive drive not withstanding. Regardless, there were enough positives to not continually harping on the loss so chalk it up to another hard lesson learned (hopefully) for both coaches and players.

14 hours ago, mtutiger said:

It's close, I don't think Dallas is bad but I would be concerned about keeping Dak protected. Not sure the O-Line will be up to the task.

I suspect Tampa will win tonight 

yup.

and now dak is hurt.

i can only imagine what dallas sports radio is talking about today.  although im sure some texas fans will call in to say how the horns are BACK baby!

10 hours ago, NYLion said:

Honestly, I don't even blame Goff for that. The coaches played him in exactly one series the entire preseason so it was no wonder that he and the receivers were out of sync in the first half. I hate to keep harping on the coaches but it seemed like they really didn't have the team prepared for this game for the most part, first offensive drive not withstanding. Regardless, there were enough positives to not continually harping on the loss so chalk it up to another hard lesson learned (hopefully) for both coaches and players.

They scored 35 points...this game was on the defense.

As I figured local radio has been filled with people bitching about the on side kick all the while complaining how thy defense is terrible and couldn't get a stop.

The on side kick essentially cost them 25 yards of field position. Considering they had a 33% success rate on it last year I have no problem taking a 33% chance of getting the ball back vs. Giving up 25 yards of field position for a team that hadnt shown much ability to getting quick stops which is what they needed in that situation since time was their enemy. 

• Like 1