Week One: Philadelphia Eagles (0-0) @ Detroit Lions (0-0)

MichiganCardinal

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

i do like dallas at +2.5 against tampa tonight.

i think tampa is overrated this year.

It's close, I don't think Dallas is bad but I would be concerned about keeping Dak protected. Not sure the O-Line will be up to the task.

I suspect Tampa will win tonight 

Edited by mtutiger

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I feel like Goff is partly to blame here.  I know the old saying: If it touches your hands you gotta catch it.  But it seemed like a lot of Goff's passes were just not in ideal receiving locations.

Come on now, those drops weren't on Goff. That throw to Reynolds for example was perfect. He was separating from the defender and led Reynolds and hit him on the hands in stride. That was perfect ball placement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, buddha said:

true, but have you seen tampa's oline?  and tampa's qb is a bit less mobile...

Dallas has a pretty good defense and will compete tonight, but I would be concerned if I were a Cowboy fan offensively. Particularly with the question marks in the wide receiving corps and at offensive line.

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Come on now, those drops weren't on Goff. That throw to Reynolds for example was perfect. He was separating from the defender and led Reynolds and hit him on the hands in stride. That was perfect ball placement.

PARTYLY to blame.  Some of the drops were all on the receivers, some of the drops are mostly on the receivers, some were on Goff and on the receiver.

a couple of observations:

dj chark was not the deep threat as advertised.

goff is still not very good under pressure.  sure, the receivers didnt help him a ton, but he also missed some open guys.  ultimately, goff is but a placeholder until they can draft or acquire a true game changer at qb.

jameson williams will have no problem breaking into this receiver room.  st brown is a good slot receiver.  everyone else is easily replaceable.

i thought hockenson played well.

oline was good.  tackles seemed to play real well.

defensive line got pushed around but that's to be expected because the eagles oline is really good.

missing on levi and paschal is really going to hurt if they cant play.

You know what makes today's loss tolerable?   Two things -  1 - The Eagles are a better team than the Lions and it's not that close.   2 - Matt Patricia and his offense absolutely sucked today and the Patriots got their arse kicked.   Every week he loses and looks bad, is a win to me.     (Funny, no Brady and no more cheating and Bill is not such a great coach anymore..........well, less cheating, anyway).  

Kind of looked like last year's opener of falling way behind and making it close in the end.  Hopefully the follow up is better. 

And I think today we saw that maybe Jeff Okudah wasn't the reason Jeff Okudah sucked in his rookie season and maybe, just maybe it was the aforementioned asshole that coached his rookie seasons. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Is anyone upset about Campbell's decision to attempt that onside kick when he did there? I'm not really, but they had a block of people calling in on 97.1 about it.

I'm not upset, no.  Philly is the more talented team.  (virtually) Everyone knows this.  You need to take some risky shots, sometimes it doesn't pay off.

The game comes down to the pick six. Did Hock break the wrong way? Did Goff read it wrong? Why were they so out of sync after we were told how sharp Goff looked in the off-season? Did Ben get too cute in game one, or were the players to blame?

In any case, Goff did not help his case for next season. 

I think it’s too simplistic to blame the game on one moment. The pick six was killer, as was the stagnation of the offense in the first half. The defense couldn’t get a clutch stop to save their lives. One more solid drive - either for the offense or the defense - and we may just pull one out of the hat.

I am not upset. I’d have rather a win of course, but again - Philly is a good team. Losing to a good team by 3 is perfectly okay in my book.