Jump to content

09/12/2022 6:40 EDT Houston Astros at Detroit Tigers


casimir
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, casimir said:

HOU-2022.png  2022 Detroit Tigers Logo

Houston Astros (90-50) at Detroit Tigers (54-86)

image.png.45d8529053914edd8958b035ed942747.png

detroit-tigers-justin-verlander-august-2

Still have that cover framed in my mancave, not only cause it has my favorite Detroit Tiger ever but also my favorite Tiger period in Tiger Woods. 

I would say my 2 favorite athletes period cause Tiger Woods is undoubtedly my favorite ever(yes I consider pro golfers athletes) but I'm not sure if Verlander, Barry Sanders or Ben Wallace would be number 2. Either way a great cover for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, oblong said:

 

They need to move the stupid fences in....with the deadened ball they are screwing themselves.

I believe that part of what we have seen this year is that their coaching and hitting style have been influenced by the combination of the deadened ball and large dimensions, and probably the shift, and the results are horrible all around hitting.

This could only have been avoided if they had guys in the lineup who were exceptional singles hitters and/or onbase guys, and/or guys with significantly more flyball distance to begin with.

We have guys who do not get on base and whose power strokes were sufficient for the juiced ball, but not sufficient for the newly deadened ball.  Schoop, Candy, and Baez are the likely key examples.

They are simply very unlikely to acquire or develop a sufficient number of guys with the above positive hitting attributes in the foreseeable future, and unless we want to be doomed to another extended 5 year+ period of failure, they need to change the fence configuration now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

They need to move the stupid fences in....with the deadened ball they are screwing themselves.

I believe that part of what we have seen this year is that their coaching and hitting style have been influenced by the combination of the deadened ball and large dimensions, and probably the shift, and the results are horrible all around hitting.

This could only have been avoided if they had guys in the lineup who were exceptional singles hitters and/or onbase guys, and/or guys with significantly more flyball distance to begin with.

We have guys who do not get on base and whose power strokes were sufficient for the juiced ball, but not sufficient for the newly deadened ball.  Schoop, Candy, and Baez are the likely key examples.

They are simply very unlikely to acquire or develop a sufficient number of guys with the above positive hitting attributes in the foreseeable future, and unless we want to be doomed to another extended 5 year+ period of failure, they need to change the fence configuration now.

Funny thing is Baltimore moved the fences out and their offense improved. Now their hitters can slug but I think our few good players played poorly and most of the others are just bad or not quite ready for prime time. Having said that some adjustments are warranted. Triples alley is cool but 400 foot flay balls should be home runs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can't change the fences!  They have already been changed once, undoing the valuable work contributed by Randy Smith and John McHale Jr.  They were highly qualified for their positions...their dads were famous baseball executives.  They designed the park, by their own admission, for a "National League style of play", so that some day Bake McBride, Willie McGee and Vince Coleman could play the outfield for the Tigers.  Imagine how crestfallen they were to learn that all three of them had actually retired before Comerica park had even opened.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, chasfh said:

World’s loneliest job …

379E308B-9227-4D48-9073-72436AEABAE0.thumb.jpeg.11c8fde7b0184f9f1489cd09b60c1d0b.jpeg

My guy called me yesterday.... not realizing I already renewed.

and I have a feeling the backpack girl is not a customer but an employee because I'm pretty sure you can't take that into the stadium as a fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, oblong said:

My guy called me yesterday.... not realizing I already renewed.

and I have a feeling the backpack girl is not a customer but an employee because I'm pretty sure you can't take that into the stadium as a fan.

I get absolutely hounded by the Tiger ticket sales people (calls and emails) after buying tickets to a single game over a year ago. I had to tell them to stop and I’ll go to a game I when I’m ready to go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

You can't change the fences!  They have already been changed once, undoing the valuable work contributed by Randy Smith and John McHale Jr.  They were highly qualified for their positions...their dads were famous baseball executives.  They designed the park, by their own admission, for a "National League style of play", so that some day Bake McBride, Willie McGee and Vince Coleman could play the outfield for the Tigers.  Imagine how crestfallen they were to learn that all three of them had actually retired before Comerica park had even opened.

Oh, they can change the fences.  But without contact, without solidly barreling up the ball on the screws, it ain't gonna go out in a bandbox with the way this team approaches offense.

I don't know if its an available stat, but along with below average SO% and BB%, I would bet that average exit velocity for the Tigers is well below league average.

One more item:  A Bake McBride reference?  Hat tip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2022 at 6:58 AM, Jim Cowan said:

You can't change the fences!  They have already been changed once, undoing the valuable work contributed by Randy Smith and John McHale Jr.  They were highly qualified for their positions...their dads were famous baseball executives.  They designed the park, by their own admission, for a "National League style of play", so that some day Bake McBride, Willie McGee and Vince Coleman could play the outfield for the Tigers.  Imagine how crestfallen they were to learn that all three of them had actually retired before Comerica park had even opened.

that's what i really didnt like about comerica: it goes against the history of the team.  the tigers played in tiger stadium and had a history of power hitters and home run threats with that overhang and short porch in right.  and they build this massive monstrosity of a field designed to have a "national league" type team built on speed and less home runs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, buddha said:

that's what i really didnt like about comerica: it goes against the history of the team.  the tigers played in tiger stadium and had a history of power hitters and home run threats with that overhang and short porch in right.  and they build this massive monstrosity of a field designed to have a "national league" type team built on speed and less home runs.

I agree 100%, the history and success of the team is power hitting and those 2 pathetic clowns went totally against it, and ownership let them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, buddha said:

that's what i really didnt like about comerica: it goes against the history of the team.  the tigers played in tiger stadium and had a history of power hitters and home run threats with that overhang and short porch in right.  and they build this massive monstrosity of a field designed to have a "national league" type team built on speed and less home runs.

except that this is not true. The field may be big, but overall through its history it has played average for HRs, has ever since they moved  LF. The reason the park HAS to be big is because they rotated it (wrt Tiger stadium) such that the prevailing summer west wind blows OUT. Tiger Stadium rotated around to where COPA would be a complete joke. They've did just fine getting to two WS in the 1st 10 yrs playing in COPA in the current configuration, which was a higher incidence rate of getting there than they ever had at Tiger Stadium. Guys hit the ball over the CF often enough. Granted the corners were the CF wall meets the R and L field wall are a bit much but that is a tiny proportion of the whole field. Parks factors look bad for the last couple of years but they always follow the home team performance (even though they shouldn't -if you watch them over time they always do....) because the team is crappy.

Tigers have hit 47 HR on the road, 42 at home, while scoring 28 more runs at home than on the road. The ball park is not the problem, the roster is.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...