2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

Fister's numbers were fine in 2013 but watching him particularly towards the end of the year it seemed like he was on borrowed time. Like his fb didnt look like it had the same life on it and his groundballs were getting hit harder and harder,  fortunately still right at people though. Idk it was things like that which is why they traded him and I was ok with it. Like the old adage goes, it's better to trade somebody a year early than a year too late. 

40 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Fister's numbers were fine in 2013 but watching him particularly towards the end of the year it seemed like he was on borrowed time. Like his fb didnt look like it had the same life on it and his groundballs were getting hit harder and harder,  fortunately still right at people though. Idk it was things like that which is why they traded him and I was ok with it. Like the old adage goes, it's better to trade somebody a year early than a year too late. 

Fister for Ray was good trade. The impatience with Ray resulted in an overal loss of roster capital.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Maybe it’s just me, I don’t know.  But it seems odd to me that free agents are signing with different teams and QOs are still out there.  Awards aren’t completed for this past season and guys signing with different teams.

How fun would the Robbie Ray Cy Young press conference be a day after he signed with the Tigers?

I think some are trying to get theirs before the CBA lockdown. At least I got that. Many of the guys who signed weren't likely to get more or less by waiting. 

14 minutes ago, KL2 said:

I think some are trying to get theirs before the CBA lockdown. At least I got that. Many of the guys who signed weren't likely to get more or less by waiting. 

Oh, you're right, that's what's happening.

It just seems odd to me that MLB would have its offseason calendar set up that way.  But its MLB, so I guess it shouldn't be odd to me.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think it was a salary issue because they went and signed Joe Nathan and I remember the whole press conference was the media asking Dombrowski about the Fister trade and he pulled out a list of prospects he targeted and showed it to Nathan. 

I think he was getting arbitration expensive and ready for a multi-year extension so, yeah, salary.

Scherzer & Verlander were coming up (lost out on Scherzer), as well as Miggy. And they ended up trading Porcello also, the next year I think, to afford their stars & scrubs model when they were already pushing the luxury tax so... yeah, salary.

In order to spend money on the BP and save money for extending JV & Miggy and (potentially) Scherzer...

Yeah, they were pro-active in trading Fister. As someone else noted, he may have already been losing his FB a bit, so there's that too. But salary considerations were definitely a part of it.

50 minutes ago, buddha said:

lol.  how's ivan nova doing?  better than taijuan walker?

and p.s.: the yankees still arent trading a guy in his early 20s with that track record for a broken down starter who cant do anything but give up home runs.

You haven't talked to many yakees fans have you. They'd give up Torres for a bag of balls at this point. 

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Oh, you're right, that's what's happening.

It just seems odd to me that MLB would have its offseason calendar set up that way.  But its MLB, so I guess it shouldn't be odd to me.

They changed it a couple years ago because it used to be like till the winter meetings which was stupid too long. 

Normally there isn't this much action this early, cause you can wait a week. But, I think some guys are jumping at deals cause of the CBA taking their signing bonus and going "at least I got that" right now. 

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Classic buy low, sell high move.  Dombroski did a similar thing in 2015 when he was traded Price, Soria, and Cespedes.  He was starting the rebuild, but Ilitch made a last ditch effort in 2016 when they signed Zimmermann, Pelfrey, and Upton.  I often wonder how much shorter the rebuild would have gone under Dombrowski and if 2016 didn't cost the Tigers more losing seasons in the future. 

For about 10 seconds I thought Verlander signed with Detroit.  I was in the middle of a workout class with some friends.  My watch buzzed and without my glasses all I could make out on the screen was "Verlander/Tigers/Reunion".  I went over t to my phone (we were doing burpees so I didn't need an excuse to stop) and on the home screen the update was there but again, without my glasses, all I could decipher was the same so I yelled out "Tigers signed Verlander".  People got excited.  I opened the story and was able to see it fully. Damn.  

There's an analogy there somewhere to relate to it.