2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Take Evan Neal and Trade Decker for a pick or defensive player.

That's an intriguing idea.  I have questions about all of the Edge rushers.  I'd take Hutch if he's there, but even then his Orange Bowl was less than stellar.  If he can't get pressure against Georgia how's he gonna handle the NFL?  I may be making too much of that, but it may end up being moot anyway if the Jags take him.

Neal may be the best talent, regardless of position, & would check the box of Day 1 starter. 

1 minute ago, djhutch said:

That's an intriguing idea.  I have questions about all of the Edge rushers.  I'd take Hutch if he's there, but even then his Orange Bowl was less than stellar.  If he can't get pressure against Georgia how's he gonna handle the NFL?  I may be making too much of that, but it may end up being moot anyway if the Jags take him.

Neal may be the best talent, regardless of position, & would check the box of Day 1 starter. 

I'm definitely in the take Neal and trade Decker for a pick camp. I just don't think it's realistic. 

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm definitely in the take Neal and trade Decker for a pick camp. I just don't think it's realistic. 

yup-Decker probably hurt his trade value with the time off last season, which is too bad because you'd think you could get a couple of mid-rounders for a starting LT that isn't too old under normal circumstances, and you'd think more picks would be what the Lions would like.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Deebo Samuel says he won't play for the 49'ers next season. What would it cost to get him and would you be willing to trade for him?

Sign me up for Deebo.    He was 1st team all pro last year and is just entering his prime.    It would cost both 32 & 34 and a huge salary.   I’d like they would paying a premium based on what he’s going to do for the Lions instead of what usually happens when a star player hits the market and gets paid based on what they did in the past and production inevitably declines.    

Can you imagine the versatility with Deebo, Swift, Amon Ra.   That’s some serious RAC potential and big problems for a defense.   

Edited by Hongbit

If the Lions wanted to trade Decker and pick (insert OT here) I’m okay with that, but they need to do it in that order if that’s their plan. If you select Neal or Ekwonu with Decker and Sewell here, you’re creating a Baker Mayfield type problem (with a better player), where other teams know you need to get rid of him, thereby lowering Decker’s trade value.

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Apparently Debbo wants out of SF because of how he is being used and not because of money. I would hold off on the grand illusions of the Lions using him as a combo WR-RB. 

I hadn’t heard that and I’m not sure I believe it.   He wants to get paid like a top 5 WR right now doesn’t want to wait another year.    

So are we trading Sewell next year to draft another LT? I don't understand the logic behind only drafting LTs with our first round pick only to trade them when they get good and come up for a big contract. We have glaring needs all over the place to address and drafting Neal or Ekwonu would do little to advance this team forward. Even if we traded Decker it's likely that the team we trade him to would be a contending team and the pick we get back would be a later end first round pick.

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So are we trading Sewell next year to draft another LT? I don't understand the logic behind only drafting LTs with our first round pick only to trade them when they get good and come up for a big contract. We have glaring needs all over the place to address and drafting Neal or Ekwonu would do little to advance this team forward. Even if we traded Decker it's likely that the team we trade him to would be a contending team and the pick we get back would be a later end first round pick.

No. We have two franchise tackles for the foreseeable future with a young franchise center. The Lions would potentially have a dominant offensive line for years to come. I would rather draft the best prospect in the draft than draft a good prospect. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

No. We have two franchise tackles for the foreseeable future with a young franchise center. The Lions would potentially have a dominant offensive line for years to come. I would rather draft the best prospect in the draft than draft a good prospect. 

Are we saying Decker is a liability now?

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

the only point would be that if the BPA is really a LT, and if the margin between him and a couple of questionable DEs is large enough you may be able to maximize your roster by doing a little shuffling. It's not that you wouldn't love stability on the OL, but you have to adapt to the hand you are dealt in any given draft.  

My guess we can't get enough for Decker to make it work - but if we could....

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm saying arguably the best player in this draft is an OT and Decker, while good, should exactly preclude the Lions from getting a tackle. It's like the argument the Lions should have taken Donald when they already had Suh. 

I think those are different arguments though because you Donald and Suh both have a unique skillset that most DTs don't have, that being the ability to rush the passer. Neal doesn't have a skillset that Decker doesn't, he's just somewhat better than Decker at the skillset they both have in terms of pass and run blocking. With Donald and Suh, you would have had something no one else in the league would have had at the time, two dominate, pass rushing interior lineman, who can both get after the QB. Suh and Donald together I think would have been more of a mismatch and produced more production than Neal and Sewell together.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think those are different arguments though because you Donald and Suh both have a unique skillset that most DTs don't have, that being the ability to rush the passer. Neal doesn't have a skillset that Decker doesn't, he's just somewhat better than Decker at the skillset they both have in terms of pass and run blocking. With Donald and Suh, you would have had something no one else in the league would have had at the time, two dominate, pass rushing interior lineman, who can both get after the QB. Suh and Donald together I think would have been more of a mismatch and produced more production than Neal and Sewell together.

How many teams would have two dominant tackles that could neutralize the other teams pass rusher no matter what side of the field they are on? 

Lets not pretend we knew Donald was going to go on to be this dominant. 12 teams passed on him. I would also think the guy that was in the room who drafted Donald can be trusted to draft another OT if he so chooses.  

I also understand the irony that the Rams drafted an OT 2nd that year as well. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

If I knew we could get a 1st for Decker I wouldn't mind going OT here and having another 1st in a future draft but I'm just not sure we would get that much for Decker. 

For simplicity Id rather have Decker and one of the pass rushers at 2 than Neal and the mid round pick that I'm projecting you would get for Decker. 

Remember that the Rams philosophy, including when Holmes was there, was to trade draft picks for established stars in order to win now. I agree that we should stick to the plan of accumulating picks and drafting well versus making splashy trades for players like Deebo Samuel, Tyreek Hill, Amari Cooper, etc. I think it should just be noted though that Holmes comes from an organization that likes to make these kinds of moves, even if he hasn't done one of them yet here in Detroit.

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Remember that the Rams philosophy, including when Holmes was there, was to trade draft picks for established stars in order to win now. I agree that we should stick to the plan of accumulating picks and drafting well versus making splashy trades for players like Deebo Samuel, Tyreek Hill, Amari Cooper, etc. I think it should just be noted though that Holmes comes from an organization that likes to make these kinds of moves, even if he hasn't done one of them yet here in Detroit.

Also remember that the Rams traded the 2nd overall pick to Washington in the RGIII trade for three 1st round picks. They also traded multiple 1st round picks for Goff before they started traded picks for veterans. When they traded for Cooks, they were coming off an 11 win season in which they won the division. They weren't coming off a 3 win season when they started trading picks for veterans.