2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

25 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

That division is arguably worse than the NFC North

whoa there...dont go crazy!

if rogers is healthy the packers are the best team in the north and right there with the bucs/rams/niners.  but after that?  

the eagles are a dark horse.

heck man, i may put $5 on the lions to win the north on the off chance rogers gets hurt.  the viqueens and the bears are bad.  especially the bears.

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id be over the moon with Thibs, Pickens and Brisker as our first 3 picks. I prefer Cine and Hill over Brisker but he's in that same tier for me so if they're gone I'd be fine with him. 

Both were gone in my mock. Cine went to GB at 28 and Hill went to KC at 30. Hutchinson was also taken 1st by Jacksonville. I liked Pickens size and speed for the Lions. Ironically, one scouting report compares him to Josh Reynolds.

23 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Wydermyer had such bad numbers that he's undraftable. I think the Lions need a TE, my guy would be Trey McBride, who I think is the best blocking TE in a while.

do you want to take another tight end at 34?  i doubt mcbride will be there at 66.

17 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

I guess the trappings of fame and fortune could throw him off track, but you could say that about most guys about to be drafted.

That's probably a very valid point.  I mean we're all just doing a lot of arm-chair GMing here.  Unless any of y'all are holding out on us, none of us have actually interviewed either of these guys so it's all just a lot of conjecture based on what other people are saying.  But even with perfect knowledge of the interview process it's still a guessing game.  GMs can use past experience to estimate what will happen but there's no sure fire way of knowing 100%.

53 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Wydermyer had such bad numbers that he's undraftable. I think the Lions need a TE, my guy would be Trey McBride, who I think is the best blocking TE in a while.

Agree they need another TE and one that can block.   I dont see a need to go after one that high.   I like Deese or Ferguson in the 5th or 6th.  

2 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

I'd take McBride, Jeremy Ruckart from Ohio, or the kid out of San Diego State Daniel Ballinger. Those are the guys we should look at for 3rd/4th Rd TE options.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Decent blocking TEs practically grow on trees. They’re almost never one-on-one with the defender they’re blocking at the point of attack and if they are one-on-one downfield, it’s in a similar position as a wide receiver would be in. Even if the Lions are considering using more six-lineman fronts with a TE instead of an OT (like they did some with Matt Nelson last year), any draftable TE prospect should be able to fill that role. There is no reason to expend a draft selection solely for a blocking TE when they’ll be playing aside Sewell and Decker. If blocking is all we need, we should look to sign a quality UDFA or draft a 7th rounder like Noah Gindorff or Cole Turner.

That said, I think having a good blocking TE who can also be a red zone threat would be a great compliment to Hock. I don’t think we should look to take a TE before 97. At 97 and beyond though, if Otton/Ruckert/Ferguson are there, they can be a really strong addition to the offense.

If Walker does go 1 that is a legendary meteoric rise, 2 or 3 months ago Im not sure he was even if the top 10 according to the national mocks. 

Of course the national big boards may not mirror NFL team big boards so for all we know Walker couldve been near the top on those from the start and his combine numbers just solidified that for teams.