2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

From the interviews of him i have watched he comes across as in intelligent guy who has plans for the future. He's a tournament level chess player and like chess he is always thinking ahead. He talks about his non football plans a lot and that is probably what brings up red flags for some.

Here is a quote i cut from a story about him earlier this year:

"The only reason people care about this story is because of football, and the only way I'll be able to open a school and do anything I want to do is through football," Thibodeaux said. "I'll never lose sight that football is what got me here and that football is the platform."

45 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

"The only reason people care about this story is because of football, and the only way I'll be able to open a school and do anything I want to do is through football," Thibodeaux said. "I'll never lose sight that football is what got me here and that football is the platform."

Now me playing the armchair GM would see this as a potential Red Flag that I'd like to ask a lot of follow up questions on.  To me the potential issue here is this: "If Football is your platform to reach the next level, how invested are you going to be in football? How much do you need from football before you're going to move on to your real passion project?"

Compare this with Hutch who seems to view football as his passion project.  Football isn't his platform to reach new things, football is the thing he wants to reach.

Again: Heavy disclaimer here... this is just me being armchair GM with no inside information. As I said this is a potential Red Flag. I trust Holmes (at least so far) and I assume he's done those follow up questions. If he and Campbell are on board with Thibs, I'm going to trust that they did the research they felt was needed.

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

Now me playing the armchair GM would see this as a potential Red Flag that I'd like to ask a lot of follow up questions on.  To me the potential issue here is this: "If Football is your platform to reach the next level, how invested are you going to be in football? How much do you need from football before you're going to move on to your real passion project?"

Compare this with Hutch who seems to view football as his passion project.  Football isn't his platform to reach new things, football is the thing he wants to reach.

Again: Heavy disclaimer here... this is just me being armchair GM with no inside information. As I said this is a potential Red Flag. I trust Holmes (at least so far) and I assume he's done those follow up questions. If he and Campbell are on board with Thibs, I'm going to trust that they did the research they felt was needed.

Right - That could be true and still only come into play more seriously in terms of the choice to walk away earlier than another guy might. Thinking along Hank Greenberg lines. His outside interests never affected how hard he worked to be a great player, but they did motivate his decision to leave the game before he would otherwise have been forced to. Of course in football where careers are so short anyway, guy walking away even a couple years early could set a team back.

30 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If the Lions do pass on Hutch its going to be like the Pistons passing on Trey Burke in terms of initial scrutiny it gets from the fans  except on a much larger scale.

I think the intelligent fans (including those who frequent this site) won’t lose their mind. There will be dissent but I think there will be a general understanding (assuming it’s Walker or Thibs over Hutch).

The drunk uncle who clamored for Orlovsky/Hill/Daniel/etc. over Stafford every Thanksgiving for a decade will loudly hate it, but I try not to listen to them anyway.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think the intelligent fans (including those who frequent this site) won’t lose their mind. There will be dissent but I think there will be a general understanding (assuming it’s Walker or Thibs over Hutch).

The drunk uncle who clamored for Orlovsky/Hill/Daniel/etc. over Stafford every Thanksgiving for a decade will loudly hate it, but I try not to listen to them anyway.

Oh yeah for sure, I'm speaking more of the stereotypical radio caller than the more educated or atleast open minded fan. 

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Right - That could be true and still only come into play more seriously in terms of the choice to walk away earlier than another guy might. Thinking along Hank Greenberg lines. His outside interests never affected how hard he worked to be a great player, but they did motivate his decision to leave the game before he would otherwise have been forced to. Of course in football where careers are so short anyway, guy walking away even a couple years early could set a team back.

And that's probably by biggest worry.  Not so much that he wouldn't put his all into the game while he played but more that as soon as he gets the cash he thinks he needs he'd leave.  The player that jumps to mind is Robert Smith from the Vikings who retired after 8 seasons to pursue a career in medicine.  He was at the top of his game and then just left.

This is not to knock Smith (or potentially Thibs) as a person, but as a fan (and I suspect the front office would feel the same) I want players who view the game as the goal, not a means to the goal.

Id be happy with Thibs or Hutch but my gut says if Hutch is there they are taking him.  Thibs could be the guy in the draft that ends up being Myles Garrett and if he does and we pass on him that will most certainly suck but either way I think we will end up being happy with Hutch in the long run too.

While he may not be that defacto All Pro I could see him being a perennial pro bowl type and a guy that fans will love as us Michigan fans already know. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Birkett says he's "hearing rumors on the red carpet that its Thibedaeux at 2."

I love most of what Brad Holmes has done thus far. I have much more confidence and trust in him and his front office staff (Agnew, Dorsey, Newmark, Scouting) than I've ever had in any Lions regime. I had zero confidence in Millen, zero in Mayhew, and what little confidence I had in Quinn eroded quickly in year 2. I really feel like this regime has a solid plan in place (not just trying to be New England Jr.) and is hell bent on executing their plan. I will be elated if we get either Hutch or Thibs. Those have been my guys from the start and while I've had Walker and Willis in at various points, I've maintained that I'd be happy with either Hutch or Thibs. In Brad Holmes I trust.

It needs to be Hutch. If the jags take Walker it should be Hutch. Looks like it won’t be though.

The thing is though, I trust Holmes, I think he has the right system and knows what he is doing. If he says it’s KT than OK, let’s get on the KT train. But man, it seems like this team needs Hutch, a dude who is gonna produce with no question about his commitment about being great at football. 

It sounds to me like Hutch is being hurt by the fact he was so productive.  People act like he is tapped out or something and doesn't have the upside.  Jacksonville should take him #1 and if they don't, the Lions should take him #2.  At the end of the day, I think you are splitting hairs any way because it's impossible to predict which end will have the best career.  But when 90% of the people who follow this stuff have you as the best prospect, then it becomes pretty obvious what the "right" pick is.