2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

Whose your "if the Lions draft this guy in the first or second round" I will be upset and/or disappointed?

For me it's Kyle Hamilton. While I won't get mad about it because I still trust Brad Holmes and I'm tired of being an angry, negative fan all the time, Hamilton would be pretty deflating. Knowing they could have taken one of Hutch/Thibs/Walker and they took a slower-than-average Safety instead would really throw cold water on my enjoyment of the draft.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Whose your "if the Lions draft this guy in the first or second round" I will be upset and/or disappointed?

For me it's Kyle Hamilton. While I won't get mad about it because I still trust Brad Holmes and I'm tired of being an angry, negative fan all the time, Hamilton would be pretty deflating. Knowing they could have taken one of Hutch/Thibs/Walker and they took a slower-than-average Safety instead would really throw cold water on my enjoyment of the draft.

at #2?  gardner, hamilton, or walker.

at #32 or #34?  karlaftis or christian walker.

but i trust brad holmes more than i trust my uneducated opinions.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Gardner or Hamilton at 2 

Any QB other than Willis at 32 

Lets say, hypothetically, that the Jags take Walker (which seems increasingly likely), how would you guys feel if the Lions took Thibodeaux over Hutch?  I've seen some rumors that they value KT higher than Hutch. Personally, I find Thibs to be the more "exciting" pick, a swing for a more dynamic player and personality but also much higher risk. The Lions are starved for starpower and Thibs is the one player (on the defensive side) with real star potential so I'd be cool with the risk but I bet that a lot of Lions fans would riot.

Edited by NYLion

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

If Walker does go 1 that is a legendary meteoric rise, 2 or 3 months ago Im not sure he was even if the top 10 according to the national mocks. 

Of course the national big boards may not mirror NFL team big boards so for all we know Walker couldve been near the top on those from the start and his combine numbers just solidified that for teams. 

It's crazy. I remember thinking during the college football playoff that I'd be happy with Walker..... at 32 then after the combine, he makes an unprecedented rise up the draft charts based purely on his athletic grades. I think that's due to two things, no real elite prospects in this draft and the really high value on athletic edge rushers. 

Just now, NYLion said:

Lets say, hypothetically, that the Jags take Walker (which seems increasingly likely), how would you guys feel if the Lions took Thibodeaux over Hutch?  I've seen some rumors that they value KT higher than Hutch. Personally, I find Thibs to be the more "exciting" pick, a swing for a more dynamic player and personality but also much higher risk.

I wouldn’t mind it. Coming into this whole thing, Thibs was the universal #1. In fact, he was the universal #1 for a while, until everyone started overanalyzing everything (as happens every draft).

If Holmes and Campbell are not worried about all the off the field rumors, and Sewell gave them a positive report, then I think it makes sense. By many accounts, Thibs has a higher ceiling than Hutch.

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wouldn’t mind it. Coming into this whole thing, Thibs was the universal #1. In fact, he was the universal #1 for a while, until everyone started overanalyzing everything (as happens every draft).

If Holmes and Campbell are not worried about all the off the field rumors, and Sewell gave them a positive report, then I think it makes sense. By many accounts, Thibs has a higher ceiling than Hutch.

Yeah, agreed with all this.  Plus his big personality will keep things entertaining and my god do we need some entertainment in Lions football. Of course, if he doesn't perform on the field none of that matters but it's just an added factor with him.

21 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Decent blocking TEs practically grow on trees. They’re almost never one-on-one with the defender they’re blocking at the point of attack and if they are one-on-one downfield, it’s in a similar position as a wide receiver would be in. Even if the Lions are considering using more six-lineman fronts with a TE instead of an OT (like they did some with Matt Nelson last year), any draftable TE prospect should be able to fill that role. There is no reason to expend a draft selection solely for a blocking TE when they’ll be playing aside Sewell and Decker. If blocking is all we need, we should look to sign a quality UDFA or draft a 7th rounder like Noah Gindorff or Cole Turner.

That said, I think having a good blocking TE who can also be a red zone threat would be a great compliment to Hock. I don’t think we should look to take a TE before 97. At 97 and beyond though, if Otton/Ruckert/Ferguson are there, they can be a really strong addition to the offense.

I disagree. Many teams, including the Lions, use tackles as the blocking te.

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

I disagree. Many teams, including the Lions, use tackles as the blocking te.

That’s what I mean though. Matt Nelson filled that role last year really well for the Lions. We acquired him as a 2019 UDFA.

If we are just looking for someone to fill that role, we shouldn’t look higher than a 6th round pick. If we are looking for a red zone threat though, I’m perfectly okay with 3rd round or later.

10 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

This would be a setback.  I don’t mind trading back, but the 2nd pick can’t be KT when hutch is there. 

Before the Ohio State game, KT was universally crowned as the best edge rusher in the class. Since then, his drop in perception - however small it may be - seems to have come from rumors and speculation rather than performance. It’s not as if he’s been injured or if some bombshell exploit has come out. It’s been behind the scenes people throwing it at the wall about him not loving football. And if that’s evaluated to be nonsense, I see no reason to not continue to value him above Hutch.

Realistically, I don’t think there is a “wrong” answer in any of Walker, Hutch, and Thibs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Before the Ohio State game, KT was universally crowned as the best edge rusher in the class. Since then, his drop in perception - however small it may be - seems to have come from rumors and speculation rather than performance. It’s not as if he’s been injured or if some bombshell exploit has come out. It’s been behind the scenes people throwing it at the wall about him not loving football. And if that’s evaluated to be nonsense, I see no reason to not continue to value him above Hutch.

Realistically, I don’t think there is a “wrong” answer in any of Walker, Hutch, and Thibs.

Not to mention that Thibs by far has the highest ceiling. Whether he gets there, who knows. But, don't make it like Hutch is significantly better. He's got a higher floor for sure, but also a lower ceiling. 

At #2 I am ok with Aiden, Thibs or Walker. None of them will probably get the to JJ Watt level but should be very good. Do not want anyone else.

At #32 if a surprise guy drops like Wyatt, Lloyd or Dean that would be my top outcome. Otherwise a trade back a few spots would be nice or one of the safeties with Hill or Cine being my favorites. Do not want a QB or another slot receiver.

At #34 same as 32 basically. Need to get a safety with one of these picks. Do not want a TE.

At #66 they need to focus on the spots they haven't; hit yet. Should be a few linebackers available if they didn't get one earlier. Do not want O-line yet.

After that it should be BPA and i hope they get a decent TE prospect at some point. Hock is in his last year and had had numerous injury issues each year.