2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

59 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure if I would even want Deebo if all he wants to do is play WR again. A big part of his value was being able to be elusive out of the back field while being strong enough to absorb the punishment. If you take that part of his game away suddenly he isn't so special.

i think he's just using it as leverage to get more money out of san fran.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure if I would even want Deebo if all he wants to do is play WR again. A big part of his value was being able to be elusive out of the back field while being strong enough to absorb the punishment. If you take that part of his game away suddenly he isn't so special.

“Pay me more, use me less.”

And Detroit is supposed to trade for him why?

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It seems like Rapoport is just speculating. Trading for Samuel goes against everything the Lions have done to date. Since Samuel doesn't want to play RB, is he really worth $25+ million per? 

I don’t think it goes against the plan.  It just speeds it up.   They we’re going to spend on big FA either next year or the following once they felt comfortable with a foundation of core players.  When unforeseen opportunities arise sometimes you need to alter the timeline of the plan.  They don’t need Deebo to play RB so that should be a non-issue.  He can be very useful as an RB in a package but 95% of his time should be at WR.   

would you deal #34 for deebo?

on the one hand, youre getting a known commodity who excelled in shanahan's offense.  you're likely drafting a wide receiver sometime and you hope the grow up to be deebo in 3 years. this gives you a sure thing at that position.

otoh, its costing you $25 million per year to get it over having a cost controlled option.  the team is not one receiver away from contention.  your qb is still average to below average and might not be able to take advantage of deebo's strengths.  deebo may not be a culture fit.  it may cost you more than just #34.

55 minutes ago, buddha said:

would you deal #34 for deebo?

on the one hand, youre getting a known commodity who excelled in shanahan's offense.  you're likely drafting a wide receiver sometime and you hope the grow up to be deebo in 3 years. this gives you a sure thing at that position.

otoh, its costing you $25 million per year to get it over having a cost controlled option.  the team is not one receiver away from contention.  your qb is still average to below average and might not be able to take advantage of deebo's strengths.  deebo may not be a culture fit.  it may cost you more than just #34.

I would give up both 32 & 34.   I see him as the next great WR in the league and would take the offense to a different level.   It would also give them options next year if they need to lure a potential FA QB.    

if we are getting really spacey then I’d also look to trade #2 and both next years #1 for Kyler Murray.    Imagine this OL in front of Murray, Swift, Deebo, AmonRa, and Hock and having them all controlled for the next 3+ years (less Hock).   Let Brad fill the defense through FA and later round draft picks where he excelled in LA.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I would give up both 32 & 34.   I see him as the next great WR in the league and would take the offense to a different level.   It would also give them options next year if they need to lure a potential FA QB.    

if we are getting really spacey then I’d also look to trade #2 and both next years #1 for Kyler Murray.    Imagine this OL in front of Murray, Swift, Deebo, AmonRa, and Hock and having them all controlled for the next 3+ years (less Hock).   Let Brad fill the defense through FA and later round draft picks where he excelled in LA.  

if youre in a bidding war with the jets, you'll need to give up 32 and 34 for sure.  at least.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

if youre in a bidding war with the jets, you'll need to give up 32 and 34 for sure.  at least.

I would think given the Jets posses two picks in the top 10 and two second round picks that we'd have to part with #2 overall to get Deboo. In that case, no thanks. How can we possibly outbid a team with two top 10 picks and two second round picks?

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I would think given the Jets posses two picks in the top 10 and two second round picks that we'd have to part with #2 overall to get Deboo. In that case, no thanks. How can we possibly outbid a team with two top 10 picks and two second round picks?

yup.  the only way is if the jets arent interested.  but their willingness to go after tyreke hill says they definitely are interested.

aj brown also wants a pay day.  oh, and wouldnt you know it, he has the same agent as deebo samuel.  what a coincidence.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

yup.  the only way is if the jets arent interested.  but their willingness to go after tyreke hill says they definitely are interested.

aj brown also wants a pay day.  oh, and wouldnt you know it, he has the same agent as deebo samuel.  what a coincidence.

I believe Metcalf is also a client of Deboo's agent. This is obviously an orchestrated effort by this agent, Tory Dandy, to get his clients more money. If we could get a trade done by dealing #32 and an additional pick for Deboo I would do it. I'm not deviating off the plan to build through the draft though just to get in a bidding war with a team, like the Jets or Chiefs, who has as much or more ammo than we do.

If you give up significant draft capital, and commit elite receiver money to Deebo, you're putting all your eggs in the Goff basket hoping that the offense can outscore teams for the next however many years. You're also banking on Deebo to stay healthy which is a serious question mark considering his style of play.

He's probably my favorite receiver in the league to watch, the guy plays receiver like a linebacker, but I don't think it's the right move for a team in the very beginning of a rebuild that has so many holes to fill still. 

I don’t see how trading for and paying Deebo says anything about Goff’s future.  If you trade a late 1st for Deebo that you were going to spend on a WR anyway then the only consideration is salary cap.  And once you realize the cap is going up significantly every year I don’t see that as a problem.  Now if they are asking for multiple 1st or a future 1st then move on.

34 minutes ago, sagnam said:

I don’t see how trading for and paying Deebo says anything about Goff’s future.  If you trade a late 1st for Deebo that you were going to spend on a WR anyway then the only consideration is salary cap.  And once you realize the cap is going up significantly every year I don’t see that as a problem.  Now if they are asking for multiple 1st or a future 1st then move on.

That's what I'm saying. If you're giving up two 1sts (the two Rams picks) or #32 and 34 for a receiver, you're putting a lot of belief in your QB by basically fast tracking this to more of a win now situation when in reality, the team is very far away from being in win now mode. Also, giving up two high picks is two less opportunities to build up the defense so essentially, they're leaning more heavily on the offense (Goff) to win them games.

Even 32 and 34 isn’t much, but it’s also more than it should take.  But let’s say that’s it, then you are basically losing just the 34 if you assume 32 was going to be a WR.  You are overselling the Goff angle. He can be replaced next year.  Deebo is young.

Again, I don’t think they should trade a 1 and 2.  But it wouldn’t set them back much.

Brad Holmes had a press conference yesterday and was asked about trading up. Here is what he said:

“if there’s a player that we have buy-in and we want, I’m going to try to get that player,” Holmes said with conviction. “That’s just bottom line. There is value in being patient and sitting back. You’ve just got to assess where the value is on your draft board and what the volume and depth is. If the conviction is that high, yeah, you can’t just sit, wait and be patient and see if that player’s going to be there or not. Sometimes you’ve got to be aggressive and go and get him.”

I take it as he is rightfully looking at tiers and using that to determine what to do. For example say they are really targeting a safety at 32 or 34 welll according to many rankings there is a big drop off from Cine, Hill and Brisker to the next option, most have those 3 in the top 30ish where the next guy is around 60.

So let's say hypothetically all 3 of them are still there at 28, they'll probably stay put cause they would assume one will be there at 32, on the other hand say only 1 is left there he may feel pressured to trade up to secure him instead of possibly missing out and having to settle for a guy a tier lower.