2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33297949/nfl-draft-which-teams-gotten-best-value-2012-rank-all-32

Behind a paywall but they used actual value of the player over what the pick is expected to bring and the Lions are 18th over the past 10 years. Not good but not as bad as I expected.

Their best draft according to that metric is 2013 where we got Ansah, Slay,Warford, Riddick and Martin. 

Btw Seattle was number 1 thanks in large part to Russell Wilson. 

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33297949/nfl-draft-which-teams-gotten-best-value-2012-rank-all-32

Behind a paywall but they used actual value of the player over what the pick is expected to bring and the Lions are 18th over the past 10 years. Not good but not as bad as I expected.

Their best draft according to that metric is 2013 where we got Ansah, Slay,Warford, Riddick and Martin. 

Don't know if we should be concerned that the Rams were worse during that time frame. 

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Don't know if we should be concerned that the Rams were worse during that time frame. 

Looking back through it and I noticed that 4 of our last 5 least valuable picks came in the 2nd round, also couldn't help but notice that Levi was almost as bad last year as Tavai was for his career. 

If Levi busts at least it won't because we took a guy everyone else thought was a 4th or 5th rounder in the second. 

In fairness he was hurt last year from camp on and had missed the 2020 covid season. Hopefully he comes around this year.

Edited by Stanley70

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

bob quinn had no positive value drafts.  mayhew had a great draft in 2013, which is all of detroit's "points" except for a few from last year (which is too early to judge) and a couple from larry warford in 2014.

https://www.nfl.com/news/seven-round-2022-nfl-mock-draft-round-1-cowboys-steelers-trade-up

LOL Chad Reuter doesn't even bother trying with the Lions pick. Mocking Kenny Pickett to the Lions at #2 is beyond dumb and ridiculous. First off, it doesn't even look like the Lions are taking a QB at #2, but if they did, it would almost assuredly be Malik Willis.

I wonder if the trading back might make more sense with the 32nd pick. Say a team wants a QB at 32 for the 5th yr contract.  If someone offered the lions their 2nd this year and 2nd next year, would it make sense?

Peter Kings article this morning mentioned that scenario.  In this example the falcons traded up to 32 and the lions received picked 43 and a 2nd in 2023. I’d be ok with that, depending on the board. 

King also expects the Jags to take Walker number 1.  Walker is now the betting favorite in a number of places to go first overall. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/seven-round-2022-nfl-mock-draft-round-1-cowboys-steelers-trade-up

LOL Chad Reuter doesn't even bother trying with the Lions pick. Mocking Kenny Pickett to the Lions at #2 is beyond dumb and ridiculous. First off, it doesn't even look like the Lions are taking a QB at #2, but if they did, it would almost assuredly be Malik Willis.

I saw that too and immediately dismissed it.

49 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Most around here have said the Walker to jags rumors were just clickbait. Now Vegas has him with the best odds and more legit sources are coming Out and saying he might be the guy.

I would be thrilled if the Lions were able to get Hutch. 

I think betting odds aren't always a good indicator as Vegas is more interested in making money rather than being right.  The odds are adjusted to give themselves the lowest payout.

That said there does appear to be more and more smoke around Walker to jags... and this close to the draft I think there's probably a little less click bait vs. wanting to have an accurate mock that writers can point to to show how smart they are.

If I was a betting man I'd still bet on Hutch to jags, but I would also be thrilled if he fell to #2.

41 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The best thing that can happen for the Lions is that Jacksonville takes Neal or Walker. 

No, the best thing would be talking Walker.  If they take Neal then the Lions had the choice between Walker and Hutch and there will be many people complaining that they took the wrong one.

3 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

I wonder if the trading back might make more sense with the 32nd pick. Say a team wants a QB at 32 for the 5th yr contract.  If someone offered the lions their 2nd this year and 2nd next year, would it make sense?

Peter Kings article this morning mentioned that scenario.  In this example the falcons traded up to 32 and the lions received picked 43 and a 2nd in 2023. I’d be ok with that, depending on the board. 

King also expects the Jags to take Walker number 1.  Walker is now the betting favorite in a number of places to go first overall. 

Fans overvalue 2nd round picks. About half never amount to anything. If there is a person you even just a bit like just stay there. Picking up a second rounder to move back 10 spots, often only means you end up to 2 nothings. 

Edited by KL2

4 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

I mentioned earlier that I'm a little worried about Hutch's performance in the Orange Bowl.  Virtually no pressures at all - but I do think he's a culture fit with the Lions, & I believe this coaching staff will get the most out of his talent.

Iirc shortly after the game somebody at the Athletic went back and watched the tape of Hutch against Georgia and he came to the conclusion that he didn't play as bad as it appeared.

Apparently Georgia went all out in game planning to neutralize him. I'll have to go try to find the article to see exactly what the conclusion was. 

• Like 1