2022 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

To me I see Hutch as a safe pick that likely isn't going to be a huge bust but also likely isn't going to be some major game changer like a prime JJ Watt or Myles Garrett. He may have a ceiling of one of the Bosa brothers which if he were to hit Id be fine with considering the lack of top end talent in this draft.. atleast according to the scouts.

It's too bad we couldn't get lucky like the last two times we had the number 2 pick and had a Calvin Johnson and Ndamakong Suh sitting there for us 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Iirc shortly after the game somebody at the Athletic went back and watched the tape of Hutch against Georgia and he came to the conclusion that he didn't play as bad as it appeared.

Apparently Georgia went all out in game planning to neutralize him. I'll have to go try to find the article to see exactly what the conclusion was. 

Well it worked!! 😄

6 hours ago, RedRamage said:

No, the best thing would be talking Walker.  If they take Neal then the Lions had the choice between Walker and Hutch and there will be many people complaining that they took the wrong one.

Lions take Thibodeaux anyway.

If you were to rank Tibs, Walker and Hutch in speed rush, power rush and run defense I think Hutch comes in second in all 3. Tibs will probably get the most sacks and Walker will be an elite run defender. But Walker may not be a double digit sack guy and Tibs may only be an average run defender. Hutchinson should be good at both, you just hope he doesn't top out at 9 or ten sacks.

Hutch is the best DE in the class by a bit of a margin. Nevertheless, I am zero bit surprised that all reports have Balke focusing on Walker.  The lions looking like they will have the opportunity to select Hutchinson. What a win that would be for the franchise.  

26 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

I wonder if the Lions might still take Tibs with Hutch available.

Given just how much scouting they've done around Thibs, having 7 people at his Pro Day, I think that's going to happen. I think they may well like him better than Hutch. I've had Hutch and Thibs as 1A and 1B during this process and I don't know enough about the technical aspects of being a great edge rusher, so I would be fine with either.

19 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Given just how much scouting they've done around Thibs, having 7 people at his Pro Day, I think that's going to happen. I think they may well like him better than Hutch. I've had Hutch and Thibs as 1A and 1B during this process and I don't know enough about the technical aspects of being a great edge rusher, so I would be fine with either.

it's what makes drafting players interesting - there's no right answer. You can draft based on what a guy has done and be right or wrong - a guy with tons of NCAA accomplishment might end up as Peyton Manning, or Andre Ware. OTOH, you draft a guy based on great physical attributes and a projected high ceiling, you might get Tom Brady, or you might get Darko! 

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Didn't the Lions purposely avoid Ragnow so as not to tip the hand? Hutchinson also played only a few miles away. I'm sure the Lions are well aware of what he can do. 

Being close by doesn't make you aware of who a player is. Charles Rogers begged the Lions not to draft him and had all types of character red flags and Millen still took him. Now, I'm not trying to suggest Holmes is on the same incompetent plane as Millen was, just that you can't assume because a player plays close by means the organization has done their due diligence on a guy. Matt Millen drafting Charles Rogers is proof of that. Luckily for us, it sounds like this Lions front office was well represented at Michigan's Pro Day with Holmes and others in attendance.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Being close by doesn't make you aware of who a player is. Charles Rogers begged the Lions not to draft him and had all types of character red flags and Millen still took him. Now, I'm not trying to suggest Holmes is on the same incompetent plane as Millen was, just that you can't assume because a player plays close by means the organization has done their due diligence on a guy. Matt Millen drafting Charles Rogers is proof of that. Luckily for us, it sounds like this Lions front office was well represented at Michigan's Pro Day with Holmes and others in attendance.

That also doesn't mean that Millen wasn't aware of that and still wanted to draft him. Speaking of Rogers red flags, Thibodeaux has his own that people want to ignore. 

Thibodeaux is a strong personality/arrogant type who could rub people the wrong way. He is very concerned with his "brand" as well. I would bet there are a few teams that wouldn't draft him. 

I think the commitment to football is overblown, in order for his brand to increase in value his play does as well. And he seems to be smart enough to realize that.

1 hour ago, Stanley70 said:

I think the commitment to football is overblown, in order for his brand to increase in value his play does as well. And he seems to be smart enough to realize that.

Well, yes, but... if we assume (for the sake of argument) that he's interested in his brand more than he is football, then his motivation is potentially questionable.

Again, we're assuming a bunch of stuff for the sake of argument assuming that Hutch is all about making football great and fun and all that and Thibs if all about making himself great and rich, then Thibs might be less likely to put all his effort in plays where he doesn't stand to win the accolades.  If he's rushing the passer, he'll go all out. If he's just blocking his zone he might not put as much into it. 

Off the field he may be less invested in little things like working hard. He might be less winning to work with a team to restructure a deal or mentor new rookies after he's had a few years of seasoning.  He might be less winning to come back after an injury if the team isn't in contention for the post season.  He might be less winning to stick around with a smaller market team if he can land a contract with a higher profile team.

Now I'm making a LOT of assumptions and conjectures here and I readily admit that.  I don't know Thibs AT ALL so I can't say if this is him at all.  I'm just trying to say that I can understand how 'commitment to football' could be seen as an issue and pointing out areas where it might manifest itself.

Personally I don't care what a guys motivation is to be great, if it's a competitive nature and need to be the best and win then perfect but if it's only to be great so he can build his brand and make the most money than that works too as long as they work and strive to be great is what ultimately matters to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's more on the field red flags and his commitment to football. 

I think everyone in this draft has some type of on field red flag.  

The brand issue may be valid for the moment but the reality is that with the new NIL stuff at the college level this is going to become the norm for top players.  

I personally view his interest in marketing as a positive.    He’s very serious about being a big brand with staying power and he realizes that can only happen if he’s a stud on the field.   He gets that has to be the foundation or none of the other stuff will matter.    

Edited by Hongbit

He was the #1 recruit coming out of high school, has had an excellent career at Oregon, and he is in the conversation to be the first draft pick overall. So he has worked hard to get where he is today. I am sure the interview teams had with him will play a big role in his evaluation.

I guess the trappings of fame and fortune could throw him off track, but you could say that about most guys about to be drafted.

Edited by Stanley70

10 minutes ago, sagnam said:

For the anti-Thibodeaux crowd, if Hutchinson goes first overall do you entertain this?

Report: Eagles making calls about potentially moving up

i would entertain any offer that nets me at least a #1 pick this year and next year.  

i actually think the eagles are going to be really good next year, so i would need more than that.  which probably means it wont happen.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

i would entertain any offer that nets me at least a #1 pick this year and next year.  

i actually think the eagles are going to be really good next year, so i would need more than that.  which probably means it wont happen.

The eagles are gonna be really good?