Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

SHLIACH: SHOOTER TRIED ENTERING CHABAD HOUSE ON PESACH

Rabbi Yosef Schanowitz, the shliach in Highland Park near Chicago, where the horrific shooting yesterday killed six people, said that the shooter had previously tried entering his Chabad House.

Following the shooting during an Independence Day parade in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park that killed at least six people, a local Chabad shliach said that the suspected shooter entered his Chabad House during the Pesach Seder.

Rabbi Yosef Schanowitz recognized the photo of 22-year-old Robert E. Crimo III released by police following the shooting, and realized he had encountered the suspect a few months earlier.

“During last Pesach, that person entered the Chabad House. We have an armed security guard sitting in front… I approached him and sternly asked him to leave as I noticed he was not a member of our community,” Rabbi Schanowitz told Israel’s Channel 2.

Moments after the shooting, Schanowitz, whose Chabad House is located two blocks away from the site of the shooting, helped shelter people fleeing the attack including the 4 Bochurim manning the Tefillin booth.

“There is reason to think that the attack was directed against Jews due to the prominent Jewish presence in the area.” Rabbi Schanowitz said.

Later, the shliach drove to the Highland Park Hospital to visit the over 30 people injured in the incident.

Two members of the Jewish community were reported among the fatalities. Jackie Sundheim, a preschool teacher at Congregation Israel, in nearby Glencoe was killed in the attack.

Does that dumb yutz MTG realize that all states in the bottom 10 for access to mental health are Republican states and 9 of 10 states with the best access are Democratic states? Does she realize that free Republican states have expanded Medicaid and the one red state that did, Oklahoma, ranks in the top 10 for mental health mcare access?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Does that dumb yutz MTG realize that all states in the bottom 10 for access to mental health are Republican states and 9 of 10 states with the best access are Democratic states? Does she realize that free Republican states have expanded Medicaid and the one red state that did, Oklahoma, ranks in the top 10 for mental health mcare access?

I’m sure she does realize it. It is the source of her power and influence.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Is that deaths per year?  

I don't know if it is deaths per year, but that is definitely lazy analysis confusing correlation with causation. There are a multitude of things that could have also played a role.

1. The rise of social media in the late 2000's and the rise of the dark web fueling tensions and leading to extremism.

2. Wars and people coming home with mental illness that resulted.

3. SCOTUS starting to put their thumb on the scale in 2008, and states opening up the floodgates the last 10-12 years.

4. The 2005 Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act removed liability for gun dealers.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I don't know if it is deaths per year, but that is definitely lazy analysis confusing correlation with causation. There are a multitude of things that could have also played a role.

1. The rise of social media in the late 2000's and the rise of the dark web fueling tensions and leading to extremism.

3. SCOTUS starting to put their thumb on the scale in 2008, and states opening up the floodgates the last 10-12 years.

4. The 2005 Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act removed liability for gun dealers.

Yes, it is not any kind of analysis.  I just thought the numbers looked low.  

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Those all sound like good reasons not to have assault weapons easily available.