Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Do you really not know or are you setting up some sort of gotcha? 

I'm just asking questions. I have security cameras, 4 to exact. I cover most of my property and also see others.  Mine are all wireless, but they are hooked into my home network. My home network is secure.  If a camera triggers, a video is created, and stored internally to a SD card.

I can access that through my computer, or phone, at any time.  All safe, all internal to my network.  I have an option to copy/store these videos to a cloud, which I assume is from the company that sells this stuff.  I'm not interested.

A picture or a video ends up as a file of some sort.  You can move them.  How it gets from the the SD card on the camera to any other place outside of your home network requires the date to go through the internet.  A cloud is "space" in some form that stores data.

It doesn't go from point A to point B without going through the internet.  That's TCP/IP 101.

TL;DR; If you are using a cloud of some sort, your data is on the internet.

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

I'm just asking questions. I have security cameras, 4 to exact. I cover most of my property and also see others.  Mine are all wireless, but they are hooked into my home network. My home network is secure.  If a camera triggers, a video is created, and stored internally to a SD card.

I can access that through my computer, or phone, at any time.  All safe, all internal to my network.  I have an option to copy/store these videos to a cloud, which I assume is from the company that sells this stuff.  I'm not interested.

A picture or a video ends up as a file of some sort.  You can move them.  How it gets from the the SD card on the camera to any other place outside of your home network requires the date to go through the internet.  A cloud is "space" in some form that stores data.

It doesn't go from point A to point B without going through the internet.  That's TCP/IP 101.

TL;DR; If you are using a cloud of some sort, your data is on the internet.

You can also set up secure internet access to the data on you home server. That’s what my NAS has options for. The data stays on my drives, the NAS hosts it securely to the net.

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Good thing too.  The shooter was taken down by another armed citizen.  You missed that little detail.  

No, I didn't miss that detail.  The problem is three people had already been shot, which doesn't happen much in other countries with stricter gun laws.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It could have been a lot worse had it not been for the armed citizen.  The bad guys will always find a way to get a gun or other weapon if they are set on hurting or killing.  Thankfully there are law abiding  citizens that are armed since we can't count on police to be there until after the crime and when they are we don't know if they can or willl do anything.

17 minutes ago, Archie said:

It could have been a lot worse had it not been for the armed citizen.  The bad guys will always find a way to get a gun or other weapon if they are set on hurting or killing.  Thankfully there are law abiding  citizens that are armed since we can't count on police to be there until after the crime and when they are we don't know if they can or willl do anything.

Why do other countries have fewer people being shot?  We also have one of the biggest murder rates among developed countries and one of the shortest life expectancies.  You would think that the pro-ilfe crowd would be concerned about these numbers.  

Edited by Tiger337

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Why do other countries have fewer people being shot?  We also have one of the biggest murder rates among developed countries and one of the shortest life expectancies.  You would think that the pro-ilfe crowd would be concerned about these numbers.  

You can start with liberal policies that make the US less safe.  Soft on crime, open borders, condoning terrorist acts and political  correctness are just a few of the causes.  The US isn't the safe place it was for those before us. People didn't carry firearms in the 1950s because it wasn't needed. Thanks to things listed above people need to protect themselves.

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

You can start with liberal policies that make the US less safe.  Soft on crime, open borders, condoning terrorist acts and political  correctness are just a few of the causes.  The US isn't the safe place it was for those before us. People didn't carry firearms in the 1950s because it wasn't needed. Thanks to things listed above people need to protect themselves.

I know Fox News tells you that nothing bad ever happened in the 50s when you were a kid, but the homicide rate was only slightly lower back then.  Liberal policies? How are we soft on crime?  We incarcerate more people per capita than any country in the world.  Open borders? Immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than native born Americans.  Stop believing everything that Fox News and Hate Radio tell you.  

32 minutes ago, Archie said:

The US isn't the safe place it was for those before us. People didn't carry firearms in the 1950s because it wasn't needed. Thanks to things listed above people need to protect themselves.

I'm old enough to remember when a Conservative Gov of California pushed for gun control regulations after a few African Americans showed up on the grounds of the state capitol. You might want to look him up, guys name was Reagan.

I also remember when the NRA stood for gun education and safety until a conservative lobbyist named LaPierre coopted the organization and paid a guy who was famous for mostly B movies (Moses was a bit part) to make an appearance promoting guns for everyone. The NRA and other manufacturers lobbies are more responsible than whatever "liberal Democrat" policies that I can think of. Hell we even had shoot em up westerns  back in the 50s and 60s....

The current weapons of choice were not around in the 1950s and 60s. We had mostly hunting rifles and shotguns. The most popular rifle was a .22 or 30/06. Nothing that was capable of firing the number of rounds or as rapid as today's arsenal. 

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I know Fox News tells you that nothing bad ever happened in the 50s when you were a kid, but the homicide rate was only slightly lower back then.  Liberal policies? How are we soft on crime?  We incarcerate more people per capita than any country in the world.  Open borders? Immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than native born Americans.  Stop believing everything that Fox News and Hate Radio tell you.  

Things didn't get bad until guys like Rush Limbaugh and his counterparts on AM radio and propaganda arms of the Republican Party started telling us that Democrats are the tool of the Devil and White Christian Republicans are God's chosen people.

Just look at all those Librul States

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

Table
Datatable showing data for the United States Map figure.
LocationSort by location in no order

Death Rate (Click for Rankings)Sort by death rate (click for rankings) in no order

Deaths Sort by deaths in no order

Alabama 23.6 1,141
Alaska 23.5 175
Arizona 16.7 1,265
Arkansas 22.6 673
California 8.5 3,449
Colorado 15.4 922
Connecticut 6 219
Delaware 14.4 135
Florida 13.7 3,041
Georgia 17.7 1,897
Hawaii 3.4 50
Idaho 17.6 321
Illinois 14.1 1,745
Indiana 17.3 1,159
Iowa 11.2 351
Kansas 16.9 494
Kentucky 20.1 902
Louisiana 26.3 1,183
Maine 10.4 153
Maryland 13.5 803
Massachusetts 3.7 268
Michigan 14.6 1,454
Minnesota 8.9 513
Mississippi 28.6 818
Missouri 23.9 1,426
Montana 20.9 238
Nebraska 10.1 197
Nevada 17 547
New Hampshire 8.9 128
New Jersey 5 443
New Mexico 22.7 479
New York 5.3 1,052
North Carolina 16 1,699
North Dakota 13.8 100
Ohio 15.2 1,764
Oklahoma 20.7 826
Oregon 13 592
Pennsylvania 13.6 1,752
Rhode Island 5.1 54
South Carolina 22 1,131
South Dakota 13.6 120
Tennessee 21.3 1,473
Texas 14.2 4,164
Utah 13.6 429
Vermont 11.6 76
Virginia 13.4 1,174
Washington 10.9 864
West Virginia 18.1 325
Wisconsin 12.2 717
Wyoming 25.9 154
Download Data (CSV)
  • Thanks 1

Interesting. Democrats controlled both houses of Congress (with a couple of exceptions) in the '40s, 50s, and '60s when someone said we were safe, Republicans took over mostly in the '90s. Something conservative propaganda doesn't tell us about the good ole days. Keep in mind however most southern Democrats became Republicans in the mid 70s and 80s....

https://history.house.gov/Institution/Presidents-Coinciding/Party-Government/

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Just look at all those Librul States

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

Table
Datatable showing data for the United States Map figure.
LocationSort by location in no order

Death Rate (Click for Rankings)Sort by death rate (click for rankings) in no order

Deaths Sort by deaths in no order

Alabama 23.6 1,141
Alaska 23.5 175
Arizona 16.7 1,265
Arkansas 22.6 673
California 8.5 3,449
Colorado 15.4 922
Connecticut 6 219
Delaware 14.4 135
Florida 13.7 3,041
Georgia 17.7 1,897
Hawaii 3.4 50
Idaho 17.6 321
Illinois 14.1 1,745
Indiana 17.3 1,159
Iowa 11.2 351
Kansas 16.9 494
Kentucky 20.1 902
Louisiana 26.3 1,183
Maine 10.4 153
Maryland 13.5 803
Massachusetts 3.7 268
Michigan 14.6 1,454
Minnesota 8.9 513
Mississippi 28.6 818
Missouri 23.9 1,426
Montana 20.9 238
Nebraska 10.1 197
Nevada 17 547
New Hampshire 8.9 128
New Jersey 5 443
New Mexico 22.7 479
New York 5.3 1,052
North Carolina 16 1,699
North Dakota 13.8 100
Ohio 15.2 1,764
Oklahoma 20.7 826
Oregon 13 592
Pennsylvania 13.6 1,752
Rhode Island 5.1 54
South Carolina 22 1,131
South Dakota 13.6 120
Tennessee 21.3 1,473
Texas 14.2 4,164
Utah 13.6 429
Vermont 11.6 76
Virginia 13.4 1,174
Washington 10.9 864
West Virginia 18.1 325
Wisconsin 12.2 717
Wyoming 25.9 154

Download Data (CSV)

Just for kicks, let's rank your list by highest firearms death rate and then color code the state by which party control the state legislature. Purple means the two bodies are split-party.

image.thumb.png.46d284ae4acb39e7bdeb3346fbdc9bdd.png

3 hours ago, Archie said:

It could have been a lot better if the shooter didn't have a gun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1