Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

20 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

That would be the Mulford Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

spacer.png

From the Wiki post...

Both Republicans and Democrats in California supported increased gun control, as did the National Rifle Association of America.[10] Governor Ronald Reagan, who was coincidentally present on the capitol lawn when the protesters arrived, later commented that he saw "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons" and that guns were a "ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will." In a later press conference, Reagan added that the Mulford Act "would work no hardship on the honest citizen."[3]

14 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I know this hard to believe but the Greenwood mall shooter was a 20 year white male with multiple assault rifles and also had behavioral issues in high school.   

I wonder if he was copying the kid in Highland Park, whose name and face were featured in news accounts in a way I thought news outlets were trying to avoid.

• Like 1

That kid who killed the shooter in Indiana is impressive.

10 shots at 40 yards and 8 hit the shooter. And the killer was down 15 seconds after he started shooting. That is some serious shooting at that distance with a pistol. 

He also did not have a conceal carry permit so maybe that new law helped. 

In the case of the Uvalde shooter, iirc, the shooter clearly waited until it was legal for him to obtain the rifle in order to obtain the rifle and bring it to the school.

I don't think it's "all kinds of stupid" to think that barriers to entry can in fact be barriers to entry, but that's just me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

That kid who killed the shooter in Indiana is impressive.

10 shots at 40 yards and 8 hit the shooter. And the killer was down 15 seconds after he started shooting. That is some serious shooting at that distance with a pistol. 

He also did not have a conceal carry permit so maybe that new law helped. 

No matter where you stand on the guns issue this kid probably saved a bunch of lives. I live in Indiana and I think the no permit law is bonkers.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

In the case of the Uvalde shooter, iirc, the shooter clearly waited until it was legal for him to obtain the rifle in order to obtain the rifle and bring it to the school.

I don't think it's "all kinds of stupid" to think that barriers to entry can in fact be barriers to entry, but that's just me.

Countries with strict gun laws have lower gun homicide rates.

States with strict gun laws have lower gun homicide rates.  

So, yes I think it's very possible that barriers to entry can work.  

9 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

No matter where you stand on the guns issue this kid probably saved a bunch of lives. I live in Indiana and I think the no permit law is bonkers.

He probably did.  However, the question is will the sum total of lives saved by people carring guns exceed the total of lives ended by people carrying guns?  

Edited by Tiger337

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

The law had nothing to do with obtaining guns. It had to do with can you conceal carry without a permit or not. 

On top of that he used a rifle, which you don't conceal carry anyway. 

The good guy said he would have not have been carrying if Indiana did not eliminate the CCW law as he did not have a permit.

Bad guy had weapons we all agree he should not have access to.

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Another question I have about concealed carry without a permit is why was this kid (or people like him) not able to get or not willing to pursue a permit?  

I have had a lifetime permit for 20 years. It was a little difficult to obtain one. You had to go to your local police station, get fingerprinted and go through a background check. It cost about $80 all together and took a month or two to get license in the mail.