Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

13 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And in the face of 30+ years of contemptible right-side language and behavior and violence, starting with Rush Limbaugh and Pat Buchanan, through the Tea Leaf ("FU") Party politics, and today's violent fascists all over America, and including a history of racism, xenophobia, Jim Crow, police brutality, slavery, lynchings, and other acts of white trash bigotry...

I have no problem in standing up and committing opposite and equal acts of violence against these MF'ing scumbags. I'm going to buy an AR-15. And if these right wing fascist mf'ing scumbags make another attempt to overthrow our Democracy... I WILL protect the Constitution of the United States. Make of that what you will.

You need a cold beer. As I am sitting here I am having a Bells Brewing favorite, Oberon. An excellent brew for the summer afternoon after mowing the grass and reading the Political Forum.
You owe it to yourself.
Cheers 🍻 

Edited by 1776

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I can both sides extremism and point out that extremism on the right scares me more these days. I also think that left and right extremism fuel eachother. Jan 6 was rationalized by many of its participants by the Floyd protests that got out of hand.

18 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Who is justifying right wing violence? Christ man, you are obtuse.

It was Donald Trump, the right wing, and white supremacist groups pushing the big lie and not protests in Minnesota. You're shifting part of the blame for white right wing extremists did on left wingers. That is justifying it. Perhaps you need to take a break, go outside and smell the flowers. 

4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

You need a cold beer. As I am sitting here I am having a Bells Brewing favorite, Oberon. An excellent brew for the summer afternoon after mowing the grass and reading the Political Forum.
You owe it to yourself.
Cheers 🍻 

Liquor is quicker.

How about a couple of Fireball shots followed by your favorite chaser?

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

Liquor is quicker.

How about a couple of Fireball shots followed by your favorite chaser?

There was a day and time….

I’m an occasional beer guy and wine guy now…I do love my Bread & Butter Cab. Trying to preserve what is left after 67 years…

Knock one down for me. 

38 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Who is justifying right wing violence? Christ man, you are obtuse.

If the actions of left wing protests going overboard fuel and make worse the much much much much worse actions of the right wing nutjobs, then yes, they do add fuel. Anything that raises the temperature adds fuel, and that includes ad hominins from me on a forum.

34 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Do you realize how petty this conversation is? It is borderline comical. 

welcome to the political board, boys!

20 minutes ago, 1776 said:

There was a day and time….

I’m an occasional beer guy and wine guy now…I do love my Bread & Butter Cab. Trying to preserve what is left after 67 years…

Knock one down for me. 

I can go softer...

How about a Russian Quaalude followed by a Late Bottled Vintage Port.

Dow's, 2020.

36 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I can go softer...

How about a Russian Quaalude followed by a Late Bottled Vintage Port.

Dow's, 2020.

I looked up the Dow’s 2020. I’m going to buy a bottle and try it. Thanks for dropping the name. 
I’ll pass on the ‘lude dude 😉

25 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I looked up the Dow’s 2020. I’m going to buy a bottle and try it. Thanks for dropping the name. 
I’ll pass on the ‘lude dude 😉

It's not actually a 'lude...

LBV's are killer bottles of Port (I prefer that over wine); and affordable. Dow's is an excellent make.

The Russian Quaalude is another type of shot that is "lighter" I guess than the whiskey.

A shot each of Kahlua, Bailey's, Stolichnaya Vodka, and Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur). Mix 'em up over ice and pour out 4 shots or put 'em in a glass over ice (and keep to myself...).

It's like a hazelnut coffee shot. Killer.

Is that actually softer than the Fireball whiskey?

On 7/8/2022 at 4:51 PM, 1984Echoes said:

Both sides guilty doesn't make them equal.

If I put weights on both sides of a scale, than "both sides", right?

But one side is a one ounce weight and the other weighs 50 pounds... both sides are equal?

You're pulling a "false equivalence" argument. Total bullshit.

Motown Bombers is 100% correct.

You guys got me, I've been doing it wrong all along.  From now on, should my kids get into an argument, I will do a full investigation to figure out who is 51% or greater wrong in that situation and punish the offender.  Additionally, I will do nothing but praise the other.  You hit your brother but he definitely started it and egged you on, not only is he punished, how about we go get ice cream!

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 9:00 AM, chasfh said:

More to the point, they want to convert that particular workforce from being teachers to being babysitters.

It doesn’t take much education or certification to impart to kids the kind of indoctrination some states are seeking to implement. That’s one reason the pay is so low: it repels degreed critical thinkers who want to make a difference educationally, while it continues to attract less-skilled people … OK, let’s be real: women … who prefer to work around little children all day. (I’m not being anti-woman here—rather, these states know women will accept lower pay for the same jobs versus men, and I don’t think many Christian states want adult men around little kids all day every day nine months a year.)

It doesn’t take much knowledge to teach first- and second-graders: even high school grads with a 2.4 GPA who went on to obtain a smattering of community or for-profit college credits already know the entire curriculum for first and second grades. At that point it’s all about directing them how to teach the curriculum, which topics to focus on and, as importantly, which topics to avoid.

With rare exceptions, I suppose, classroom adults with that background probably won’t be agitating for the academic freedom to teach critical topics to children. They’ll probably pretty much do what they’re told so they can keep their teaching jobs in order to avoid the deep fryers and the rubber gloves and the cash registers.

Looks like Arizona is taking that step toward converting their college-degreed teacher force into a high-school-diplomaed babysitter force.

• Sad 1

From the Department of No Shit, Sherlock, What Did You Think Was Gonna Happen?

4. Ring secretly shares data with cops

A computer mouse logo clicking a doorbell.

Illustration: Gabriella Turrisi/Axios

Amazon's video doorbell platform Ring shared footage with law enforcement multiple times this year without users' consent, the company said in a letter made public Wednesday, Axios' Margaret Harding McGill reports.

Why it matters: The proliferation of video doorbells has raised questions surrounding privacy and law enforcement access to footage.

Driving the news: In response to an inquiry by Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), Amazon said it has given law enforcement footage without user consent 11 times so far this year in response to emergency requests.

• Each time Amazon said Ring determined "there was an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury" that required disclosure of the information without delay.

• Law enforcement can obtain Ring footage through voluntary requests to the owner or via a warrant, but Amazon notes it generally informs users before disclosing information.

The other side: Ring made more than 100 changes while it underwent an audit by New York University's Policing Project.

• That included requiring police agencies to identify a specific offense under investigation when seeking video.

• The audit found that most requests from law enforcement were connected to "relatively serious property crimes and some violent crimes," with 16% related to shootings or homicides.

What they're saying: "We will continue to prioritize privacy, security, and user control as we pursue and improve technologies to help achieve our mission of making neighborhoods safer," Amazon's vice president for public policy Brian Huseman wrote to Markey.

Read the rest.

Bonus: How do you like the bullshit "privacy prioritization" statement at the bottom?

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

When I decided to install security cameras at my house, I opted for the old school version that isn't connected to the internet and stored in the cloud. All cameras are hard wired to a HDD in my basement. 

I have a Asustek NAS at home that will also serve security video to me via the web privately, but I admit I don’t feel the need to set it up currently. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

When I decided to install security cameras at my house, I opted for the old school version that isn't connected to the internet and stored in the cloud. All cameras are hard wired to a HDD in my basement. 

What do you think the "cloud" is?

The cloud doesn't have to be at the security camera company's data center. The cloud can be storage you manage yourself that you rent from a company like Google. You can lease 2TB of storage from $10/month from Google, for instance, and store your home security videos there.

That said, I don't trust Google with my sensitive data, either.

Edited by chasfh

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't understand the confusion here. Cameras are hard wired to a hard drive in his basement. No internet, no cloud.

• Like 1