Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

There will predictably be protests and riots. There will be outrage for the judge who has won every election for about the past 30+ years. Democrats never turn out when it matters but are always down for a good protest. 

I'm sure any protests will be peaceful (sarcasm). 

Yesterday I saw a tape of one of the MSNBC anchors say that Rittenhouse shot peaceful protestors.  They are pulling definitions from a different dictionary over there if they think they were peaceful.

2 hours ago, Archie said:

Killing people because they have or are committing crimes is being a vigilante.  Rittenhouse is doing what he needs to do to protect his safety and life. Everything he did was self defense.  If he wasn't attacked I don't think he would have killed or hurt anyone and nobody would ever have heard of him.

at the immediate moment of the shootings maybe, but what was he doing there in the 1st place if not attempting to project law enforcement as a civilian - which is the common working definition of a vigilante? Whether he was there as a vigilante and whether he killed someone in self defense (or not) are separate questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

at the immediate moment of the shootings maybe, but what was he doing there in the 1st place if not attempting to project law enforcement as a civilian - which is the common working definition of a vigilante? Whether he was there as a vigilante and whether he killed someone in self defense (or not) are separate questions.

Yes exactly.  What he did was wrong and he's a contempible little punk.  It appears that what he did was not "illegal" because the gun laws are so farcical, but "illegal" and "wrong" are not synonyms.  He caused 2 deaths that otherwise would not have occurred.

25 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would just like to point out that no one else was killed in Kenosha other than the people Rittenhouse killed. Seems somewhat shocking that despite all this alleged crime and violence happening, no one else needed to be killed. 

All you had to do is turn on the TV to see violence and destruction. Last I knew it was a crime to set fires to cars and businesses and riot.  Its hardly alleged.

10 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Is the kid an idiot, yup.  But based on the law, there just isn't anything there.  Plus MSM is trying to turn this into a racial thing, as the reason Rittenhouse was there was because of the race related event, but he killed two white guys and the third was white as well.  The world is better off with both of them dead, but legally, that shouldn't score Rittenhouse points. 

"The world is better off with both of them dead."

Holy shit.

3 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes exactly.  What he did was wrong and he's a contempible little punk.  It appears that what he did was not "illegal" because the gun laws are so farcical, but "illegal" and "wrong" are not synonyms.  He caused 2 deaths that otherwise would not have occurred.

The gun laws allow a 12 year old to go hunting.  I'm not familiar with laws in Canada, do you know the age that a person has to be to possess a long gun and what is required?  There's a lot of wilderness up there so I would assume a lot of kids with guns out hunting.

5 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Going hunting has nothing to do with an open carry law that allows a moron to walk into a disturbance with a semi-automatic rifle.  Nothing.  There is no comparison to be made there.

Its the same law here.  There's no problem with law abiding citizen being armed.  The problems start when these citizens are attacked.  Would you be happy if Rittenhouse was unable to defend himself and he was killed by the lawless thugs?

Edited by Archie

1 minute ago, Archie said:

Its the same law here.  There's no problem with law abiding citizen being armed.  The problems start when these citizens are attacked.  Would you be happy if Rittenhouse was unable to defend himself and he was killed by the lawless thugs?

Please don't say "it's the same law here".  Your gun law is unlike any other country in the world and it is incomprehensible to everyone who lives anywhere else.  If you walk down a street here with a loaded weapon, that's the best way to get shot by a cop.  So my advice would be to never, ever try to look for similarities between US gun laws and those of other countries, because there isn't even a starting point.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Archie said:

I would have been happy if Rittenhouse had stayed the fuck home, where 17-year-old kids belong.

The kid waved a semiautomatic rifle around in a volatile, divisive crowd situation that was already being managed by a phalanx of police and National Guard. How much more obvious does it have to be that he was looking for action?

Rittenhouse is the lawless thug here.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I would have been happy if Rittenhouse had stayed the fuck home, where 17-year-old kids belong.

The kid waved a semiautomatic rifle around in a volatile, divisive crowd situation that was already being managed by a phalanx of police and National Guard. How much more obvious does it have to be that he was looking for action?

Rittenhouse is the lawless thug here.

I'm sure he would agree with you on the staying home part. 

He is not a lawless thug.  Those would be the people who attacked him and tried to kill him. If anything he is the victim.  If the situation was being managed by the police and Natonal Guard where were they when he was attacked. 

This situation is why so many people are armed in public. When a crime is being committed the victims have to fend for themselves any way they can.  After the crime is when the police usually show up.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Archie said:

I'm sure any protests will be peaceful (sarcasm). 

Agree.  Given what they did at the capitol, it's quite clear the right wing can be extremely violent and destructive when they don't get their way. 

Edited by pfife

16 hours ago, romad1 said:

why is the World better off with the people dead? 

Take 5 minutes out of your life to read up about them.  To note, as I said, only a jury has the right in the US to imprison or take someone's life.  Rittenhouse doesn't have the right to do so.  But, the one was only found guilty of strangulation and false imprisonment of his brother, and later for kicking his sister.  

But for the other one that died, if anything, when i'm president, Rittenhouse would go to jail for killing him, as he deserved so much worse than what he got.  

16 hours ago, Archie said:

There were people on this forum saying the same thing about the lady who was killed in the Capitol on 1/6.

Well, she did deserve to die. 

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

IMO, you clearly are determining your view based on MSM.  He was there in the first place because 1/2 of the country felt law enforcement should f-off and stay out as lawlessness ruled the day.  Legally there is nothing against the law from being a vigilante either.  I have every right to approach a stranger in my neighbors yard and tell him to leave if he can't give me a reason why he's there.  And should he end up being a danger to me, I have every right to defend myself.    As I mentioned, I don't like the idea of a 17 year old with a gun in a dangerous situation, but it wasn't illegal.

13 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would just like to point out that no one else was killed in Kenosha other than the people Rittenhouse killed. Seems somewhat shocking that despite all this alleged crime and violence happening, no one else needed to be killed. 

I would just like to point out that no one else was shot at the Capitol on 1/6.  So obviously you're good with outing the law enforcement that shot Babbit, right?  

But yes, I get you're point.  A 17 year old legally brought a rifle into the town, whereas allowing a town to burn in an act of Anarchy, while allowing a child molester, who was just released from the hospital that day for a recent suicide attempt, to run around and start flres likely would have ended well....if it were not for that evil 17 year old that had no issues with anyone else.

5 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Take 5 minutes out of your life to read up about them.  To note, as I said, only a jury has the right in the US to imprison or take someone's life.  Rittenhouse doesn't have the right to do so.  But, the one was only found guilty of strangulation and false imprisonment of his brother, and later for kicking his sister.  

But for the other one that died, if anything, when i'm president, Rittenhouse would go to jail for killing him, as he deserved so much worse than what he got.  

Well, she did deserve to die. 

IMO, you clearly are determining your view based on MSM.  He was there in the first place because 1/2 of the country felt law enforcement should f-off and stay out as lawlessness ruled the day.  Legally there is nothing against the law from being a vigilante either.  I have every right to approach a stranger in my neighbors yard and tell him to leave if he can't give me a reason why he's there.  And should he end up being a danger to me, I have every right to defend myself.    As I mentioned, I don't like the idea of a 17 year old with a gun in a dangerous situation, but it wasn't illegal.

I would just like to point out that no one else was shot at the Capitol on 1/6.  So obviously you're good with outing the law enforcement that shot Babbit, right?  

But yes, I get you're point.  A 17 year old legally brought a rifle into the town, whereas allowing a town to burn in an act of Anarchy, while allowing a child molester, who was just released from the hospital that day for a recent suicide attempt, to run around and start flres likely would have ended well....if it were not for that evil 17 year old that had no issues with anyone else.

I can see why authoritarianism is on the rise.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pfife said:

ROMAD you should be "doing your own research" on them

I'm all for vigilante justice.  My son could easily make those decisions if I gave him a rifle and told him to go into a riot to commit extrajudicial killings in the name of 'Merica.  Likely those who were killed were left wingers who don't eat at Mission BBQ and watch Foxnews. 

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

I can see why authoritarianism is on the rise.

Absolutely true, but don't make the mistake of thinking that feeling is on just a political side of the aisle.  While praised as the best thing since sliced bread, the BLM riots were not pleasant for folks that lived/worked in or were just near areas that were destroyed.  Law and Order candidates even won when it came to candidates with a D attached to their name.

51 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I'm all for vigilante justice.  My son could easily make those decisions if I gave him a rifle and told him to go into a riot to commit extrajudicial killings in the name of 'Merica.  Likely those who were killed were left wingers who don't eat at Mission BBQ and watch Foxnews. 

Actually, all three were folks had rap sheets, all with some serious crimes in them.  Folks against Rittenhouse want to claim he went out searching to kill people, if so, just how ironic the three he shot all are horrible people.