Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Honestly? This incident will simply fade into the blizzard of similar incidents over the years, and the sheer firehoseness of it all will cause eyes to glaze over and people to reach for the remote to see what's streaming tonight.

I think as apart of the Democrats George Floyd Justice Act they should mandate that every community over a certain size, 30,000 or more residents sounds reasonable, have a citizen review board or ombudsman to have independent oversight of police. If the community cannot provide adequate oversight to their PD then county or state governments should be mandated to step in.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think as apart of the Democrats George Floyd Justice Act they should mandate that every community over a certain size, 30,000 or more residents sounds reasonable, have a citizen review board or ombudsman to have independent oversight of police. If the community cannot provide adequate oversight to their PD then county or state governments should be mandated to step in.

The last thing we need is a bunch of whack jobs telling the police what they can and can't do.   They do a fine job for the most part except there isn't enough of them.  The best way to avoid problems with the police is to not break the law.  The police don't bother law abiding citizens.

another problem with the police is there are too many bad ones

i also know really really biased police officers who think the media is biased so it's clearly more of that standards for thee not for me thing going on with them

Edited by pfife

13 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So I have tons of Trumpy friends/family on FB. I have seen this shared at least 30 time this week.

56FFC9B2-A484-438D-9696-242EDEC48602.jpeg

i still have a hard time with this guy looking for trouble and running around with an assault weapon and then claiming self-defense when he gets beat up.

i dont think you dont get to instigate and then claim self defense, but i havent been following it close enough to say.

the fact that the jury has been out for three days is interesting.  im not sure who that benefits.  its obvious there is a lot of dissension in the jury room.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Archie said:

The last thing we need is a bunch of whack jobs telling the police what they can and can't do.   They do a fine job for the most part except there isn't enough of them.  The best way to avoid problems with the police is to not break the law.  The police don't bother law abiding citizens.

Really, what law was Philando Castile breaking when the cop unloaded 7 bullets into him? How about Elijah McClain? Breanna Taylor? 

• Like 1

Taylor was hanging out with a bad crowd which she was part of.  If her drug dealing boyfriend or whatever he was didn't shoot first at the officers she would be alive today.  Unless of course she wasn't killed in other violent acts with the group she is part.  The cops did nothing wrong.  They returned fire when fired at.  They didn't shoot first  They were vilified because they returned fire at (gasp) a black guy who shot at them first.  The boyfriend should have been charged with her murder because she died during the commission of a crime he was committing.  Instead the democrat leaders went after the officers because they are easy targets and gave the actual criminal millions of dollars to continue his criminal ways.  There's a theme here with democrats because they want to pay the illegal invaders on our southern boarder $450k to make them feel better.  Its all ridiculous and no wonder law and order in the US is a thing of the past.  That's why we have millions of people armed on the streets.

14 hours ago, Archie said:

to be white.  

Blacks are way more likely to stopped while driving, way more  likely to be arrested for Marijuana use, etc.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TP_Fan said:

America is gonna America.  The obsession with guns makes us look like Neanderthals. He was guilty all day, the prosecution didn’t do a good job.  Murder, unprovoked, is now legal in America.  

It was the right verdict and the only verdict that could be reached with all the video evidence.  I don't know how you or anyone could think he was unprovoked.  He was the victim and he was defending himself.  If he didn't defend himself he would have been seriously injured or killed.  I do agree with you on one point is that the prosecution didn't do a good job.  That prosecutor was an embarrassment with all the lies and BS they were presenting.  I think someone above the prosecutor made them bring charges and the prosecutor  knew he had no case and no chance of winning.

21 minutes ago, Archie said:

I think someone above the prosecutor made them bring charges and the prosecutor  knew he had no case and no chance of winning.

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

One can wish he was held accountable without dialing up the outrage, right?

yeah - This wouldn't be the 1st time that transient public outrage led to an overcharge which led to an acquittal. You might think "Reckless Endangerment" or the like would have punished him for his stupidity without denying his right to defend his life. Some charge that would have been successful would at least have served the socially useful end of discouraging people from taking weapons into places were neither they nor the weapons were helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

One can wish he was held accountable without dialing up the outrage, right?

This was really interesting to watch and learn.  On day one a casual observer would have said "sounds like second degree murder, maybe he will plead to manslaughter".  But then as the days went by it became more and more clear how utterly absurd the laws are, and that he had not broken any, incredible though that may seem.  It is legal to be an open-carry, self-appointed law enforcement vigilante in Wisconsin.  He is "not guilty", that has been obvious for days.  Which is not the same thing, at all, as "didn't do anything wrong", of course he did.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Yet violent crime has decreased dramatically since 1990.  

yes, thank goodness for those early 90s crime bills!  lol.  

around here, crime was up in 2016, and then down in 2017-2019, then up again in 2020 and 2021.

still, nothing like the crack era in major cities around the late 80s, early 90s.  although i would bet that the murder rate in chicago would be a lot higher now if we still had early 90s level medical treatments.  

1 hour ago, Archie said:

It was the right verdict and the only verdict that could be reached with all the video evidence.  I don't know how you or anyone could think he was unprovoked.  He was the victim and he was defending himself.  If he didn't defend himself he would have been seriously injured or killed.  I do agree with you on one point is that the prosecution didn't do a good job.  That prosecutor was an embarrassment with all the lies and BS they were presenting.  I think someone above the prosecutor made them bring charges and the prosecutor  knew he had no case and no chance of winning.

If he didn’t go where he didn’t belong in the first place, threatening people with a semi-automatic rifle on the streets of a city in another state, no one would have gotten shot by him!

I don’t know how you or anyone else could think otherwise.