Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

10 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We're about to start putting woman in jail for having abortions if the Supreme Court strikes down Roe and turns abortion rights over to states. In Texas you can already face jail time for prescribing abortion pills online and sending them in the mail. This isn't hyperbole on my part, this is real life. Once the far right strips away abortion rights they'll come for marriage equality and LGBTQIA rights next. That doesn't sound socially liberal to me. That sounds like a few steps away from an episode of the Handmaids Tale.

Add onto that, one of the former (and possibly next) President's advisors, Mike Lindell, is talking about jailing 300 million people. Going even further, the former (and possibly next) current President wants to change libel laws and eliminate a free press in this country. You think that sounds crazy until they actually start doing it and again, none of that sounds socially liberal to me.

This sounds like the Left's version of Q, wow.....

9 hours ago, buddha said:

no tater, this is hyperbole on your part.

NPR: Texas Toughens Ban on Medication-by-Mail Abortions With Jail Time and Hefty Fine

Texas Senate Bill 4

Texas already had the most restrictive abortion laws in the U.S. — and they just got tougher. On Wednesday, a new law took effect that adds penalties of jail time and a fine of up to $10,000 for anyone who prescribes pills for medication abortions through telehealth or the mail.

Did I miss something? Texas Senate Bill 4 is literally imposing jail time and large fines for individuals, doctors or otherwise, who prescribe and receive pills for medication abortion through the mail. If you think they'll stop there you are fooling yourself. Woman will go to jail just for having an abortion in this country if Roe is overturned.

Just now, Tigeraholic1 said:

This sounds like the Left's version of Q, wow.....

Did anyone read about Texas Senate Bill 4? The language is in the bill that they will start imposing jail time for medication abortions being prescribed by mail. Do you really believe it won't stop there?

Do you really believe the insane base of the GOP wouldn't come for marriage equality and LGBTQ rights after they get done gutting Roe and Griswold?

Also, Mike Lindell was an advisor to Trump. While I don't literally believe they will jail 300 million people, the fact that this guy is advising the man who could be President again is insane to think about.

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I never heard of Inkster, MI before now.  

It's a very small city just west of me.  It has an interesting history.  Because of Dearborn's racism blacks were not "encouraged" to live in the city.  But Henry Ford had built the Rouge Plant here on the Detroit River along with US Steel next to it.  His black workers needed a place to live and Henry Ford hated big cities.  So he helped deveop Inkster into a city for his black workers.  He built schools, grocery stores, churches.... It's always been a "black" city so to speak.  

I also once heard Kirk Gibson telling a story from the early 80's about Alan Trammell and he referenced that he lived in Inkster.  A little surprising but  back then it wasn't that bad.  Just a regular lower middle class suburb and Tiger Stadium was just a short drive down MI avenue so I could see why a  player who didn't live here full time might live there.

https://www.thehenryford.org/explore/blog/the-search-for-home

I drive thru Inkster when pickig up my friend for baseball games.  Like 10 years ago I was going north on Middlebelt when I saw a commotion in front of me, people running.  Traffic stopped so I went down a side street to go around it and as I turned I was able to see around the cars and saw a guy laying in the street.  Later that night I learned he was just shot point blank in the street.  I was one traffic light away from being right there.  That's Inkster.  don't go there at night.  

18 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I never heard of Inkster, MI before now.  

Legend had it that H. Ford established it as a suburb for his African American workers.  It was actually named after a person named Inkster but that legend held a lot of sway for a long time.  Its basically in the shadow of DTW airport and yep, it has the low-grade strip clubs of a place noir writers are dying to write about. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

And those other 28 cities would have more. Some way more.

And they are all out of control. The list you provided is out dated. It had Chicago's murder rate at 18 per 100K but it finished the year at 29 per 100k. That's a 61% increase. I'm not sure where the other cities finished, but it shouldn't be a feather in Chicago's cap that they are better than cities like St Louis but woefully worse than it's peers like Los Angeles or Houston. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

And they are all out of control. The list you provided is out dated. It had Chicago's murder rate at 18 per 100K but it finished the year at 29 per 100k. That's a 61% increase. I'm not sure where the other cities finished, but it shouldn't be a feather in Chicago's cap that they are better than cities like St Louis but woefully worse than it's peers like Los Angeles or Houston. 

It's true Chicago was 28th on a list from 2019.

Chicago wasn't even in the top 30 on Bunker's updated 2022 list.

But whatever. Go ahead and parrot Trump's Chicago Worse Than Afghanistan trope. Feel free to believe that. Here, I'll help you: you don't wanna come here. Stay away. It's worse than Afghanistan. Stay in Detroit. 😏

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

Rumor has it that Tommy Lasorda was at The Flight Club a lot during the 2005 ASG festivities.

Was thinking more of Henry The VIII which is on Middlebelt as I drive north to Livonia.  I knew a girl who worked there (sister of a friend), she was troubled.  

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It's true Chicago was 28th on a list from 2019.

Chicago wasn't even in the top 30 on Bunker's updated 2022 list.

But whatever. Go ahead and parrot Trump's Chicago Worse Than Afghanistan trope. Feel free to believe that. Here, I'll help you: you don't wanna come here. Stay away. It's worse than Afghanistan. Stay in Detroit. 😏

I never mentioned Afghanistan, Trump, or any trope at all so nice strawman. I do stay away from Detroit for the most part because the crime is out of control. When I do venture into the city limits, it's usually my old neighborhood which is near the Grosse Pointe border so I have an escape route to safety if things go sideways. 

I also had no desire to go to Chicago. I don't have any desire to go to St Louis or any other city on your list. It's fine that you are content with Chicago having almost as many murders as Los Angeles and New York combined. 

11 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Was thinking more of Henry The VIII which is on Middlebelt as I drive north to Livonia.  I knew a girl who worked there (sister of a friend), she was troubled.  

There's two Henry VIII's... one on Michigan near Merriman and yes, one on Middlebelt.  I've never been. I used to go to BT's and Silver Criket back in my early 20's like once a year.  My city has 3 strip clubs and they cannot get rid of them. There's also one on Ford road that's technically Detroit as there's like 1/4 mile stretch where the North side is Detroit.  It's a shame.  It comes up in every planning commission meeting that they need to be careful because they will be stuck with the decision, like we are stuck with the decision to allow these.  They've really changed over the last 15 years in terms of clientele.  Lots of fights, stabbings, etc.  The days of college kids and business people going for fun are over.  Now it's just bad people.

And there's a house being remodeled that's a real monstrosity.  He owns one of them.  They had the highest volume of liquor sales in the state a few years ago, just ahead of The Palace.  The house overlooks Ford Field (Dearborn, not the stadium) and it's obscene as it gets.  We run by it all the time and it makes me sad thinking it's built on the backs of drug addicted strippers.

1 minute ago, oblong said:

There's two Henry VIII's... one on Michigan near Merriman and yes, one on Middlebelt.  I've never been.  My city has 3 strip clubs and they cannot get rid of them. There's also one on Ford road that's technically Detroit as there's like 1/4 mile stretch where the North side is Detroit.  It's a shame.  It comes up in every planning commission meeting that they need to be careful because they will be stuck with the decision, like we are stuck with the decision to allow these.  They've really changed over the last 15 years in terms of clientele.  Lots of fights, stabbings, etc.  The days of college kids and business people going for fun are over.  Now it's just bad people.

And there's a house being remodeled that's a real monstrosity.  He owns one of them.  They had the highest volume of liquor sales in the state a few years ago, just ahead of The Palace.  The house overlooks Ford Field (Dearborn, not the stadium) and it's obscene as it gets.  We run by it all the time and it makes me sad thinking it's built on the backs of drug addicted strippers.

For a while when I got out of the Air Force and was hanging out with dudes who wanted to break into the Detroit punk rock scene, I would go to the low-grade strip clubs just to see if the girl onstage might fall or knock over a beer glass.  The dancers did not like that we were actively rooting for their grim failure.   Basically, it was white middle class jackassery born of dudes who had a lot of safety net to fall back on.  None of us were drinking even that much and drug use was a definite no-no.  

58 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I never mentioned Afghanistan, Trump, or any trope at all so nice strawman. I do stay away from Detroit for the most part because the crime is out of control. When I do venture into the city limits, it's usually my old neighborhood which is near the Grosse Pointe border so I have an escape route to safety if things go sideways. 

I also had no desire to go to Chicago. I don't have any desire to go to St Louis or any other city on your list. It's fine that you are content with Chicago having almost as many murders as Los Angeles and New York combined. 

i dont understand how having more murders than any year since the height of the crack epidemic (when medical care was also not as good as now so more people who were shot actually died) is somehow a good thing because st louis has a higher murder rate per capita?

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

NPR: Texas Toughens Ban on Medication-by-Mail Abortions With Jail Time and Hefty Fine

Texas Senate Bill 4

Did I miss something? Texas Senate Bill 4 is literally imposing jail time and large fines for individuals, doctors or otherwise, who prescribe and receive pills for medication abortion through the mail. If you think they'll stop there you are fooling yourself. Woman will go to jail just for having an abortion in this country if Roe is overturned.

the united states is not close to anyone's version of the handmaids tale.  that's hyperbole.  about as hyperbolic as the right yelling about sharia law.

20 minutes ago, pfife said:

I've only been to Henry VII w/ a bachelor party.

You'll notice that's also not a recommendation lol

That was a low-brow bachelor party.   My own never made it to the strip club because drunken brother who demanded to drive everyone despite serious intoxication -- but who we told we were not allowing him to drive us across an international border in such condition --  decided to ram his snow plow on his Chevy Truck into the car in which we had all piled in to go to the establishment in Canada.   So, the cops came instead and we had my brother hauled away to jail.  Good times.  On the good side, it gave us a rock solid story to tell at the wedding reception.  

Wedding guest 1:  "Where is your brother W?" 

ROMAD1:  "that Jackass is in jail"

Wedding guest 2:  "Where is your brother W?"

ROMAD1:  "Rotting jail like the attempted murderer he is"

Edited by romad1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, buddha said:

the united states is not close to anyone's version of the handmaids tale.  that's hyperbole.  about as hyperbolic as the right yelling about sharia law.

Fine, saying we're close to Handmaids Tale is hyperbolic, but saying woman will go to jail for having an abortion is not.

Do you believe if Roe and Griswold are overturned and abortion rights are left solely up to the states that we will start seeing woman and abortion healthcare workers (doctors, nurses, other) go to jail for having abortions or having preformed them? I do. I believe that because Texas is already taking us down that path with their new law enacted that imposes jail time for abortion by prescription through the mail.

Once they fully role back abortion rights, I have no doubt that the religious right will be coming for marriage equality and LGTBQ rights next. Not only will the religious right work to role back marriage equality and rights, we'll start to see all the gay conversion therapy bullshit pop back out of the woodwork again too.

12 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Fine, saying we're close to Handmaids Tale is hyperbolic, but saying woman will go to jail for having an abortion is not.

Do you believe if Roe and Griswold are overturned and abortion rights are left solely up to the states that we will start seeing woman and abortion healthcare workers (doctors, nurses, other) go to jail for having abortions or having preformed them? I do. I believe that because Texas is already taking us down that path with their new law enacted that imposes jail time for abortion by prescription through the mail.

Once they fully role back abortion rights, I have no doubt that the religious right will be coming for marriage equality and LGTBQ rights next. Not only will the religious right work to role back marriage equality and rights, we'll start to see all the gay conversion therapy bullshit pop back out of the woodwork again too.

If the actual law is changed then yes? Thats like saying I used to sell guns to felons before it was illegal. Now if I sell a felon a gun I would go to jail.