Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

If the actual law is changed then yes? Thats like saying I used to sell guns to felons before it was illegal. Now if I sell a felon a gun I would go to jail.

Again, the law already did change in Texas and they are going to start using penalty of jail for abortions via medication by mail. So when the Supreme Court overturns Roe (and Griswold) then Texas law takes effect and people could/will start going to jail.

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Again, the law already did change in Texas and they are going to start using penalty of jail for abortions via medication by mail. So when the Supreme Court overturns Roe (and Griswold) then Texas law takes effect and people could/will start going to jail.

I wish we could as a people put so much heart and soul into helping women with prevention of pregnancy as we do for ending one. 

12 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I wish we could as a people put so much heart and soul into helping women with prevention of pregnancy as we do for ending one. 

I wish pro lifers put as much energy into helping, feeding, housing, clothing, and educating kids as they do wanting them to be birthed. You can do both though and have pregnancy prevention programs in tandem with abortion and I believe we should. By the way, when we they try to teach safe sex in schools, hand out condoms to boys, and teach girls about birth control, who opposes those programs? Usually people on the religious right and Republicans. They're out there promoting abstinence only sex education, which has been proven not to work.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

12 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Conservatives have pushed not to provide contraception under the guise of religious freedom. They have also tried for many years to defund Planned Parenthood which is not just an abortion clinic. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I wish pro lifers put as much energy into helping, feeding, housing, clothing, and educating kids as they do wanting them to be birthed. You can do both though and have pregnancy prevention programs in tandem with abortion and I believe we should. By the way, when we they try to teach safe sex in schools, hand out condoms to boys, and teach girls about birth control, who opposes those programs? Usually people on the religious right and Republicans. They're out there promoting abstinence only sex education, which has been proven not to work.

Thats wrong too. 

13 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Thats wrong too. 

No it isn't. Republican Governors and State Legislatures, along with pro birth advocates and leaders on the religious right have pushed for things like abstinence only education, limiting discussion in school around birth control, opposed handing out condoms in school to students, opposed morning after pills, and more.

Wisconsin: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Republicans block vote on birth control education

Missouri: Kansas City Star: ‘Do you believe in birth control at all?’ Missouri Senate moves closer to floor fight

Georgia: Macon Telegraph: Many Georgia school districts tell students: No sex until marriage

The Hill: Abstinence-only education making a comeback under Trump

ALEC: Contraception Mandate Once Again Up Before Supreme Court

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

No it isn't. Republican Governors and State Legislatures, along with pro birth advocates and leaders on the religious right have pushed for things like abstinence only education, limiting discussion in school around birth control, opposed handing out condoms in school to students, opposed morning after pills, and more.

Wisconsin: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Republicans block vote on birth control education

Missouri: Kansas City Star: ‘Do you believe in birth control at all?’ Missouri Senate moves closer to floor fight

Georgia: Macon Telegraph: Many Georgia school districts tell students: No sex until marriage

The Hill: Abstinence-only education making a comeback under Trump

I meant I was agreeing with you.

38 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Maybe if they started imposing as many penalties on the impregnators as the do the impregnated. Maybe mandatory vasectomies for unwanted pregnancies.  

As someone who's very conservative I agree with that we need to educate both young men and women on birth control. I was young once and abstinence is not a good plan.  I beleive men and women should agree on the birth control but we all know that doesn't happy.  That leaves more of the responsibility on the female and that should be part of the education. I don't mean that  in a sexist way but the female needs to look out for herself.  

22 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Fine, saying we're close to Handmaids Tale is hyperbolic, but saying woman will go to jail for having an abortion is not.

Do you believe if Roe and Griswold are overturned and abortion rights are left solely up to the states that we will start seeing woman and abortion healthcare workers (doctors, nurses, other) go to jail for having abortions or having preformed them? I do. I believe that because Texas is already taking us down that path with their new law enacted that imposes jail time for abortion by prescription through the mail.

Once they fully role back abortion rights, I have no doubt that the religious right will be coming for marriage equality and LGTBQ rights next. Not only will the religious right work to role back marriage equality and rights, we'll start to see all the gay conversion therapy bullshit pop back out of the woodwork again too.

After Roe is overturned, how soon will it be before we see states try to pass legislation that criminalizes women who travel for abortions in legal states and then return home? I could see something like that being tied up in federal courts for years, which by itself would give the idea the imprimatur of even-handed legitimacy.

19 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

How do we prevent a full-grown man from imposing himself sexually on a woman or girl a third or half his size?

20 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

people do pour their heart and soul into helping people with their children too.  arguing that they dont is just a strawman.

i think contraception should be easier to obtain for people.  the religious exemption under scrutiny in the obamacare fights had to do with "abortifacients", or iuds that supposedly scraped the uterine walls and killed a fertilized egg.  same with "morning after pills" and abortion by mail pills.  people object to providing these methods of birth control because they kill already fertilized eggs.

im not sure that is scientifically true of all forms of birth control to which a religious exemption was claimed, but that was the reasoning.  and if you believe human life begins at conception, it is not out of the realm of reality to consider those forms of birth control to be killing a human child.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/01/19/west-side-murder-surge-was-driven-by-social-media-old-conflicts-now-groups-are-working-to-chart-a-path-to-peace/?utm_source=Pico&utm_campaign=6600aee44f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_01_06_03_09_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b6b84a5cee-6600aee44f-124063403&mc_cid=6600aee44f&mc_eid=30fe6c2596

GARFIELD PARK — A West Side police district has seen more homicides and carjackings than any other during the two-year pandemic surge in violence — but area leaders say they are working to stop beefs before they erupt and chart a path to peace in the longterm.

The 11th Police District — which includes parts of Austin, Lawndale and East and West Garfield Park — had 105 homicides in 2021, up from 103 in 2020 and 74 in the year prior, according to police data.

While Chicago experienced a citywide surge in violent crime in 2021, West Side neighborhoods in the 11th District have long struggled with shootings and homicides. While the district has had the most murders of any district citywide for at least a decade, there has been a significant increase — in 2011, the district had 44 homicides, less than half the number last year.

Carjackings in the 11th District have risen sharply since the pandemic began. In 2019 when there were 79, in 2020 there were 185 and in 2021 there were 192, according to police data.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/01/19/west-side-murder-surge-was-driven-by-social-media-old-conflicts-now-groups-are-working-to-chart-a-path-to-peace/?utm_source=Pico&utm_campaign=6600aee44f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_01_06_03_09_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b6b84a5cee-6600aee44f-124063403&mc_cid=6600aee44f&mc_eid=30fe6c2596

GARFIELD PARK — A West Side police district has seen more homicides and carjackings than any other during the two-year pandemic surge in violence — but area leaders say they are working to stop beefs before they erupt and chart a path to peace in the longterm.

The 11th Police District — which includes parts of Austin, Lawndale and East and West Garfield Park — had 105 homicides in 2021, up from 103 in 2020 and 74 in the year prior, according to police data.

While Chicago experienced a citywide surge in violent crime in 2021, West Side neighborhoods in the 11th District have long struggled with shootings and homicides. While the district has had the most murders of any district citywide for at least a decade, there has been a significant increase — in 2011, the district had 44 homicides, less than half the number last year.

Carjackings in the 11th District have risen sharply since the pandemic began. In 2019 when there were 79, in 2020 there were 185 and in 2021 there were 192, according to police data.

You can't get carjacked if you just ride your bike.

16784526.jpg

Edited by Tigeraholic1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

They call that rape I thought?

Not all coercive, non-consensual sex rises to the level of aggravated rape. Sometimes girls and women give in to sexual coercion when they don't want to, just to get past the moment with as little harm as they can manage to.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

After Roe is overturned, how soon will it be before we see states try to pass legislation that criminalizes women who travel for abortions in legal states and then return home? I could see something like that being tied up in federal courts for years, which by itself would give the idea the imprimatur of even-handed legitimacy.

No one knows what will be passed, but I think given their legislative track record, pro birth Republicans would likely push something like that. I do believe once Roe and Griswold are overturned that Republican controlled states will start to impose, as Texas is already doing, strict penalties against having abortions that will be up to and including jail time. There are many pro birth advocates and pro birth elected officials that have been pushing for criminal penalties on abortion. Once Roe and Griswold no longer stand in the way it will be the wild west in America.

Detour for the ROMAD family to Orlando for the weekend.  Driving down the main drag they have a giant complex devoted to the red, white and blue color scheme called "Machine Gun America" which appears to be the result of 20 years of GWOT/'Murica/neckbeard and I can only imagine the vapors and pearl clutching that visitors to this country experience when they see it.   Of course, I'm sure the citizens of Ukraine wish they had more of that right about now. 

Edited by romad1