2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

Arraez is definitely a throw back to the Rod Carews and Tony Gwynns of the world. 

Not sure what the advanced metrics say about his game or approach but it's a nice change of pace seeing a high balls in play singles and doubles hitter instead of the high launch angle three true outcome guy that seemingly everybody else is nowadays. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Arraez is definitely a throw back to the Rod Carews and Tony Gwynns of the world. 

Not sure what the advanced metrics say about his game or approach but it's a nice change of pace seeing a high balls in play singles and doubles hitter instead of the high launch angle three true outcome guy that seemingly everybody else is nowadays. 

Its certainly working for him.

I just noticed his SO%, too.  Holy cripes, man, it ain't fair.

image.thumb.png.f4ccb9c878e5b5632e7ec5f746cef00e.png

I remember the first time that I ever saw the phrase "empty batting average" in print, it was in The Sporting News of course, in the mid-70's and specifically referring to Von Joshua who was really awful but who managed a BA of over .300 one year, back when people thought that that was important. 

4 hours ago, casimir said:

I understand AVG is but one component of a player's worth and not the end all be all of it.  But that empty AVG is welcome to be moved into the Tiger lineup right about now.

Given all the other ststs we have now, you could completly drop batting average and not lose any important information about a player.  However, I would take Von Joshua's 1975 season over anyone in the line-up right now.  

4 hours ago, casimir said:

I understand AVG is but one component of a player's worth and not the end all be all of it.  But that empty AVG is welcome to be moved into the Tiger lineup right about now.

But OTOH, just because you have a high average doesn't mean it's also empty. Arreaz also walks and hits doubles and he has a 950 OPS. Chasfh's point that you can have a 950 OPS with a much lower BA if you hit for more power is dead on, but it doesn't mean that what Arraez is doing right now isn't still damn useful. All that said, based on his history and current BaBIP, it's mostly just a nice hot streak.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

But OTOH, just because you have a high average doesn't mean it's also empty. Arreaz also walks and hits doubles and he has a 950 OPS. Chasfh's point that you can have a 950 OPS with a much lower BA if you hit for more power is dead on, but it doesn't mean that what Arraez is doing right now isn't still damn useful. All that said, based on his history and current BaBIP, it's mostly just a nice hot streak.

Arraez has an OPS above .900 right now.  It probably is BABIP driven.

On the other hand, his OBP heading into this was mid to high .700s (just from eyeballing it).  I’d take that.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The A's have won 6 in a row and thanks to that streak they are no longer on pace for the worst record in MLB history.

Right on pace for the Tigers 2003 record. I’m hoping they would at least too that, but it’s not looking like that will happen. 

This has nothing to do with anything but I was box score scouring and Luis Arias of the Brewers triple slash totally stuck out to me. It is .045/.276/.091, he only has like 20 ABs so it's a total SSS but I never seen anything like that before even in a small sample. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

not sure I'm a fan of this..... 

The players will start buying more training side tech from outside venders. The teams may end up liking that economy wise, but coaches aren't going to like losing management of their players. There is already more of that now than they like. That part would creates more gulf between have and have-not players also.

On 6/9/2023 at 6:09 AM, RandyMarsh said:

He is not the type of player I used to liked because would have been overrated in the past.  However, I like what he is doing now (even before he had this remarkable season).  There is not enough variety in the game now.  Everybody ewants to be an all or nothing slugger now and a lot of players aren't good at it.  

2 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

This has to be one of the most heartbreaking ways to lose a game.

I think it is borderline cruel for the governing body of collegiate athletics to celebrate someone’s mistake like this. If the guy had hit a legit homer that would have been all right, but this? Not cool imho

• Like 3

My kid, going to be a freshman in HS this fall was invited to play summer ball with the HS varsity team. He got a start in LF last night made a diving catch in the gap. Gets up fires a sead to 2B doubling up the runner trying to get back.  Last innning, two outs towering fly ball to left. He is under it but ball drifts and misses his glove drops to the ground two runs score, ball game. Went from highest of highs to lowest of lows in one game.

I just don't get the whole age thing in major league baseball.

These kids have been playing high level baseball for most of their lives.

Many of them have had stellar college careers and then they are drafted around the age of 21.

So many of the young kids languish in the minors for their whole career.

What happened?

Now I keep hearing that at age 25 they are too old.

At the age of 25 they have been playing baseball for over 17 years.

It just stumps me that these young kids take so long to get major league ready.

Probably "most" never make it.

I get tired of waiting!

• Like 1