2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

7 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Domingo German just threw a 99 pitch perfect game against the Oakland A’s.

4th in Yankees history. Joins Don Larsen, David Wells, Dave Cone.

24th in MLB history 

David Wells threw a perfect game?  How could I not remember that?  Wait...you're making that up just to mess with us.

28 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Does anyone else play Immaculate Grid? It has turned into something of a morning ritual for me even if I rarely get all 9.
https://www.immaculategrid.com/

Yes.  @Shades of Deivi Cruz got me hooked.  I take some measure of pride in jogging my memory for the team & team combos.  But there was a question about Marlins & Cy Young winner that made me realize I am losing touch with MLB as a whole and maybe becoming too focused on the Tigers.  I couldn’t correctly guess Sandy Alcantara from way back in 2022.

21 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yes.  @Shades of Deivi Cruz got me hooked.  I take some measure of pride in jogging my memory for the team & team combos.  But there was a question about Marlins & Cy Young winner that made me realize I am losing touch with MLB as a whole and maybe becoming too focused on the Tigers.  I couldn’t correctly guess Sandy Alcantara from way back in 2022.

My grid was so ugly today... In general though I can really only get it if former Tigers meet the criteria. I got two of them worked in to the five I got on today's grid. LOL!

I can usually get 7-8 of them, and have gotten 9 a few times. Usually even if a grid has a lot of possible answers, I make at least one dumb guess. It doesn't help that I try to not use obvious answers, so I end up choosing wrong simply because I thought Mo Vaughn played for the Rangers and Red Sox (he didn't, it was the Mets after Anaheim and Boston) instead of just picking Eovaldi.

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's crazy to think of the 24 perfect games 5 came in a 3 stretch from 09-12 and that of course it should've been 6 with Galarraga's. Then after that stretch we gone 11 years since the next one.  

Someone theorized that the drought kind of correlates with the beginning and end of the shifting phase.

21 hours ago, smr-nj said:

IMG_3195.jpeg

Reminds of the year before he wore a game used Babe Ruth cap during a game, he paid $35K for.  Wore for one inning fined $2500. He paid the fine with one dollar bills. He has since sold the cap at auction for $537K good investment!

https://www.sportscasting.com/what-happened-to-the-35k-yankees-hat-david-wells-wore-for-1-inning/

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

Someone theorized that the drought kind of correlates with the beginning and end of the shifting phase.

The theory being that a single here and there is more available against a shifted D anytime a player is willing to take it, like when your team is really scuffling against a pitcher having a good day? That's not unreasonable logic.

OTOH, I think the end of the drought in the present case is easier to see simply as the result of a confluence of events leading to a particular team management putting a really terrible team on the field.

15 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Reminds of the year before he wore a game used Babe Ruth cap during a game, he paid $35K for.  Wore for one inning fined $2500. He paid the fine with one dollar bills. He has since sold the cap at auction for $537K good investment!

https://www.sportscasting.com/what-happened-to-the-35k-yankees-hat-david-wells-wore-for-1-inning/

His wearing it during a game increased its value by at least 5x all by itself.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

His wearing it during a game increased its value by at least 5x all by itself.

Wow... that is fun.

Immaculate Grid 88 8/9:

🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩

My score was 267.  Picking Lou as ROY and Cecil Fielder as the Tiger/Blue Jay helped a lot I guess.