2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

Immaculate Grid 88 8/9:

🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩

Score of 241. The last 2 of the bottom row hurt me, the one I got right had a high percentage and the one I missed I knew multiple answers to for sure but I guessed on a guy who I was fairly confident in that wasn't as recent hoping for a small percentage only for him not to have won it. 

• Like 1

I am better with the long-time franchises in the grid because it's easier for me to come up with combos from from 70s, 80s and 90s than more recent years.  I think it's because I follow the game differently now.  When I was younger, I would follow all the teams by reading team by team stats in The Sporting News and later Baseball Weekly.  It was all right there in one place and that was my only chance to see all the stats.  Now, I just look up one player at a time whenever I have a question and some teams I don't care about much, so I just don't follow them as closely.  The other thing is fantasy baseball has made me care less about teams and more about individuals.       

Traditional triple crown categories for Ohtani

10th in wins, although 4 wins from first

2nd in SOs, 12 behind

8th in ERA, 0.52 behind

4th in AVG, .006 behind

1st in HR, 6 ahead

1st in RBI, 1 ahead

If he stays healthy this will be the greatest season of all time for a baseball player.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

2nd in SOs, 12 behind

8th in ERA, 0.52 behind

4th in AVG, .006 behind

1st in HR, 6 ahead

1st in RBI, 1 ahead

If he stays healthy this will be the greatest season of all time for a baseball player.

Pud Galvin

1884 72 GS 71 CG 155 ERA+ 20.5 WAR. 

He was on the juice though - animal testosterone

And he couldn't hit.    

43 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

2nd in SOs, 12 behind

8th in ERA, 0.52 behind

4th in AVG, .006 behind

1st in HR, 6 ahead

1st in RBI, 1 ahead

He may have just had the greatest month in the history of baseball. For June he slashed .394/492/952 with 15 HRs. There's been about 20 different occasions of times where guys topped his 1.444 OPS(11 of which were by Ruth and Bonds) but of course Ohtani didn't just put up the offensive numbers. He chipped in with a 3.26 ERA over 30 innings as well so factoring that in I think it's enough to put him over the top. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

Mentioning Pud Galvin, made me think of the single season GOAT, Old Hoss Radbourn.  His 1884 season.  60-12, era+ 205, 678.2 IP.  You know when you gave the ball to Old Hoss, you were going to get his bulldog mentality. 

In a perfect world, the award for the top pitcher should be named the Old Hoss Radbourn award.  

I took a tour of Fenway this week.  The history and nostalgia and all of that is fun.  The angle of the wall around the Pesky Pole in RF is much more impressive in front of you than on TV and sitting atop the Green Monster and all of that.  I know a lot of stadiums way back when we’re susceptible to fires, and Fenway was a partial victim, but I learned a tornado also ripped down part of the CF stands.

Anyway, walking around and hearing the stories and all of that, and I’m looking at the hundred year old seats and aisles wide enough for two people if they maneuver past each other sideways,…. That’s got to be an absolutely miserable place to watch a ballgame.  And no trough urinals?  I’m sorry, but a place that old needs to have trough urinals.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

I took a tour of Fenway this week.  The history and nostalgia and all of that is fun.  The angle of the wall around the Pesky Pole in RF is much more impressive in front of you than on TV and sitting atop the Green Monster and all of that.  I know a lot of stadiums way back when we’re susceptible to fires, and Fenway was a partial victim, but I learned a tornado also ripped down part of the CF stands.

Anyway, walking around and hearing the stories and all of that, and I’m looking at the hundred year old seats and aisles wide enough for two people if they maneuver past each other sideways,…. That’s got to be an absolutely miserable place to watch a ballgame.  And no trough urinals?  I’m sorry, but a place that old needs to have trough urinals.

It's a great place to watch a game once.  It's like going back in time to another era.  It is a terrible place to watch games if you go regularly.    

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

they've spent a ton of money re-doing wrigley on the inside (and outside).  the concourses are much wider now and the food and drink choices better represent the modern day wrigley attender.  in many ways, it feels like a much different place while also feeling the same.  theyve done a nice job with it.

they still have troughs!  but theyre much nicer than they used to be.

not so long ago they had nets above the lower deck seats to catch falling concrete!

8 hours ago, buddha said:

they've spent a ton of money re-doing wrigley on the inside (and outside).  the concourses are much wider now and the food and drink choices better represent the modern day wrigley attender.  in many ways, it feels like a much different place while also feeling the same.  theyve done a nice job with it.

not so long ago they had nets above the lower deck seats to catch falling concrete!

I’ve been to Wrigley a few times.  Fortunately I got to watch one from the LF rooftop bleachers across the street before they closed all that access up.  Tickets, transportation food and drinks comped by work.  I should have had a few more pops.

The first one was an absolute luck out.  Summer of ‘91, a couple of friends went from Toledo, but got shut out at the booth.  Some dude heard us complaining, had extras from work, sold them to us for maybe $10 or $20 each, and it turns out they were 2nd row just behind 3rd base.

On 7/8/2023 at 11:35 AM, Tiger337 said:

It's a great place to watch a game once.  It's like going back in time to another era.  It is a terrible place to watch games if you go regularly.    

Depends where you sit, right? The red seats are really good. The green seats are like old Tiger Stadium, seemingly made for people five-six and under. There is some cost differential between the two, of course.

On 7/8/2023 at 11:47 AM, buddha said:

It wasn’t just falling concrete it was catching.

My first two years there, I would occasionally hear splat, which was the sound of bird poop hitting nearby seats. Birds were able to fly up and perch on the girder directly above row 9 of the 400 sections of the second deck. I moved my seats to another row just to avoid it, and told my rep why, and he said, yeah, we’ve heard about that problem before. Yet, it still took at least another couple or three years before someone finally got the bright idea to put the nets up there. Maybe it was because of falling concrete and not bird pooping. But putting up the net was basically … ahem … killing tw … no, I just can’t …

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Sean Casey (the only player I've seen get thrown out on a grounder to deep left) has been named Yankees hitting coach for the remainder of the season.

that was back in the gameday era when that was as close to real time as you could get, along with MB updates in a game thread.

In one of those it just said:

"Casey grounds out to LF"