🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

Β 

The bottom center was hard

Yup. Wanted to use Rodney, but had him on the grid already. Totally forgot Troy Percival even though he was a Tiger.Β 
Β 

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 113 8/9:
Rarity: 205
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜️🟩
Play at:

Edited by Tigerbomb13

12 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Judge is back. Tonight he’s had a HR, and I think a couple singles. Though you can tell he’s running a little gingerly, his swing looks good.

Β 

Well, if he connects just right, he won’t have to run.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 1:21 PM, casimir said:

The chatter of expansion is in the air. Β I know that it’s likely at some point. Β And I know that there is a popular idea that 4 team divisions will be the result. Β My contention against it is based on the math behind smaller populated divisions resulting in keeping better records out of the playoffs in lieu of worse records making it into the playoffs.

It almost happened in 1994 with Texas leading the AL West standings at 10 games below a neutral record. Β This season we currently have AL Central leading Minnesota at 3 games worse than Boston and New York, who are currently tied for last in the AL East and would be scratched out of the second season.

Now, I’m not here to throw a pity party for those scoundrels. Β On the contrary, I hope it holds. Β This situation at hand is exactly the dose of reality needed that would give pause to slicing up 32 teams into too many portions. Β In fact, I hope New York and Boston further their records above and beyond the AL Central winner (whomever that may be) yet still not make the playoffs because there are 3 wild cards with a better (and hopefully materially so) better record than the despicable duo.

Please, feel free to join me in this worthwhile crusade. Β I mean, I don’t know what to do exactly except for wait out the season and hope for the best for some and the worst for others. Β But there’s strength in numbers, and there’s plenty of room on the bandwagon.

Update to the AL standings.Β  Minnesota, the 10th best winning percentage, would win the division and be allowed into the playoffs ahead of 4 other teams with better winning percentages if the playoffs were to begin today.Β  They would line jump Boston (3 games behind), New York (2), Los Angeles (1 1/2), and Seattle (1).

My favorite all-time Yankee player was Thurman Munson, who died on this day (August 2nd) in 1979.

I remember where I was when I heard the news… and how devastated I felt.Β 
Β 

I loved his fierce personality.Β 
I just loved him, period.Β 

IMG_3310.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

My favorite all-time Yankee player was Thurman Munson, who died on this day (August 2nd) in 1979.

Β 

IMG_3310.jpeg

I think he deserved a stronger vote for the hall of fame than he received.

46 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Β 

IMG_3310.jpeg

Same. Β My all-time favorite non-Tiger.

RIP, Thurman

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Happy anniversary Joe Niekro's emery board.

Β 

I remember that well.Β  I laughed because he knew the emory board was in there and he deliberately tossed it pretending that he had no idea it was in there.Β  His excuse was that he needed to file his finger nails in order to throw the knuckleball properly.Β Β 

44 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Pretty unusual one today:Β 

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 125 8/9:
Rarity: 181
🟩🟩🟩
⬜️🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:

Β 

I would say who I missed but I don't know how to make it a spoiler.Β 

That was the easiest one ever, but I messed up trying to identify less obvious players.Β Β 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

That was the easiest one ever, but I messed up trying to identify less obvious players.Β Β 

My struggle is always that I don't know a ton of pre-1990s players and I don't pay that close attention to award winners.Β Β 

My mistake in this one was that I picked a player that only had a .295 batting average.Β Β 

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

My struggle is always that I don't know a ton of pre-1990s players and I don't pay that close attention to award winners.Β Β 

My mistake in this one was that I picked a player that only had a .295 batting average.Β Β 

I am the opposite.Β  I am better with pre-2000 players.Β  I follow all the current players, but my focus has switched from teams to individuals.Β  I don't care about awards much, but I can guess who won them.Β Β 

36 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am the opposite.Β  I am better with pre-2000 players.Β  I follow all the current players, but my focus has switched from teams to individuals.Β  I don't care about awards much, but I can guess who won them.Β Β 

My sweet spot is around 1999-2009 because I was younger and had more time to pay attention (and playing a lot of MVP Baseball 2005).Β  As I got older, I stopped paying attention to the average players, which is bad for this game as they play for more teams.Β 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Dear Baseball Reference,Β  Β don't do that ever again,Β  make it challenging.Β Β 

That was challenging!

I was able to shoehorn Alan Trammell in today for a sicko score square, so there's that.

I actually am putting a crib sheet together for my alma mater in all three sports they sponsor. Kind of a fun research project.

29 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Enough with the Immaculate nerdery.Β  There was a baseball brawl tonight.Β  "Down goes Anderson! Down goes Anderson!"

Β 

When did Anderson go down? Didn't see it...Β  sounds like some homer embellishments, of the worst kind. { Edit: actually, I saw it from a different angle on youtube and Ramirez did connect but was just a glancing blow and really didn't hurt Anderson much but he lost his footing }

Edited by Klondike
  • Like 1