2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

5 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I like the pitch clock, but what I really like is that managers can't change relievers after 1 batter.  To me that's the biggest improvement.

Hasn't this been a round for a couple of seasons already?  Don't get me wrong, it is helpful.  My worthless guess is that the recent rule has helped more overall.  Certainly we can agree the pitch clock helps move things along with every plate appearance while the reliever rule helps things move along later in the game.

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Great pitcher for us, but if we’re being honest, kind of a doucher, too.

"Kudos to me"

Quit whining.    Things move forward whether you like it or not and honestly I think it's good for the game.  TV ratings are up.   It was getting totally out of hand.   I always hated Mike Hargrove for his lengthy stupid routine before stepping into the batters box.......for EVERY SINGLE PITCH.    Every single pitch turned into that by 2022.  Enough already.  

Robot umps next !

Same here, I was most concerned that the clock would be really intrusive like right behind home plate on the camera or tv would have a big graphic of it which in turn would distract me every pitch cause it would make me anxious thinking if the pitch was gonna be thrown in time but I rarely even think about it during the game.

Also I was a little worried that there would be a lot of violations but that hasn't been the case either atleast in Tigers games anyway. 

The thing I worried most about the pitch timer was that teams would find a way to undermine it to make games go longer, and umpires would start peeling off from enforcing violations, and that games would start creeping back up toward three hours-plus by now. But two months in, it looks like pitchers are still rushing, and umpires are still vigilant.

Pitchers could still figure out how to effectively max out their times in between pitches, which would not only give them a bit more rest between pitches but would also make the games close to three hours on average, but I haven’t seen where they’ve started doing that yet.

There are differences between teams in time of game, ranging from 2:34 for the Guards up to 2:46 for the Orioles. I wonder how much of that is related to taking more time in between pitches, batters, innings, etc., versus non-time-oriented game play. You can tease that info out of downloaded Statcast data. Maybe I’ll get around to that at some point.

Id imagine most of the disparity comes from how good the offenses and/or how bad the pitching staffs are.

The Guards are starting to score some more runs but for awhile I think their offense was even worse than ours, on top of that they don't give up many runs so between the two that prob explains their shorter times. 

40 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The pitch clock is great and I agree it was implemented perfectly.  I don't see the clock or think about it, but it makes the game easier to watch/hear.  

Agreed. A good thing. The only thing I would like to see implemented is during the extensive ABs ex 12 pitches+. At the 12 pitch point to one batter, add an additional 20-30 seconds at least at that point (one time). This way the pitchers arm is not overly extended during a short period. I swear I have seen this effect Ps (and their arms 'health wise') shortly afterwards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alex said:

Agreed. A good thing. The only thing I would like to see implemented is during the extensive ABs ex 12 pitches+. At the 12 pitch point to one batter, add an additional 20-30 seconds at least at that point (one time). This way the pitchers arm is not overly extended during a short period. I swear I have seen this effect Ps (and their arms 'health wise') shortly afterwards.

This is not a bad idea, if the goal is to protect the pitcher's historical advantage over the hitter to some degree.

Absent that, one way for a pitcher to get through a situation like this is to simply not put everything he has into his 13th, 14th, etc., pitch to try to induce swing and miss—in other words, give in to the situation and ease up to reduce stress on his arm. Maybe that's not fair—or maybe it is, who knows?—but in this new world of ours, them's the breaks.

Edited by chasfh

Time for my humble brag, in High School I got to face Drew Henson, at the time he was like the most heavily scouted kid in the area and would always draw big crowds. Anyway after embarrassing me and my entire team(I think we had 1 hit at this point) I came up for the 3rd time. I cheated so much cause that was the only way I could catch up to his 90 some mph fastball(I don't think I seen anything more than 80 before him) and I got lucky and even though I was still late the ball found my bat and probably due to his velo I laced one just inside the 1st base foul line and I guess I flipped the bat even though I didn't realize it. I got to 2nd base and their SS was like "Dude I can't believe you just flipped the bat on Drew Henson, you better hope you don't get another at bat" and lucky for me I didn't. K that's my "Al Bundy" High School sports story for the day. lol

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Time for my humble brag, in High School I got to face Drew Henson, at the time he was like the most heavily scouted kid in the area and would always draw big crowds. Anyway after embarrassing me and my entire team(I think we had 1 hit at this point) I came up for the 3rd time. I cheated so much cause that was the only way I could catch up to his 90 some mph fastball(I don't think I seen anything more than 80 before him) and I got lucky and even though I was still late the ball found my bat and probably due to his velo I laced one just inside the 1st base foul line and I guess I flipped the bat even though I didn't realize it. I got to 2nd base and their SS was like "Dude I can't believe you just flipped the bat on Drew Henson, you better hope you don't get another at bat" and lucky for me I didn't. K that's my "Al Bundy" High School sports story for the day. lol

Did I ever tell you guys about the time George Korince struck me out?  Yeah, thought so.  George Korince is the only pitcher in baseball history to strike out both me and Mickey Mantle.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Did I ever tell you guys about the time George Korince struck me out?  Yeah, thought so.  George Korince is the only pitcher in baseball history to strike out both me and Mickey Mantle.

I'm sure you gave him a tougher AB than that bum Mantle though! The only Major Leaguer that I know of that I ever played with was Chris Getz, played with one summer on a travel league I was on and against him in High School. He was a couple years younger than me and most of the guys on our team yet he was head and shoulders above everybody else. He was like Mike Trout and the rest of us were current Miggy. I always think of him to appreciate just how good these MLBers are. He was only a utility player for a few years yet he was just so much better than everybody that I played with growing up. 

• Like 1

There was a low key road racing series that I use run all the time.  Mickey Ward used to show up to some of the races.  This is when he was still boxing, but he was a low key kind of guy when not boxing.  I beat him every time...but don't tell him I said that.    

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There was a low key road racing series that I use run all the time.  Mickey Ward used to show up to some of the races.  This is when he was still boxing, but he was a low key kind of guy when not boxing.  I beat him every time...but don't tell him I said that.    

Not unless you want a left hook to the liver.

• Like 1