2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

This was a badass OF from the 70’s:

300A8A8E-6722-407C-A44E-02E2EFD36ED8.jpeg

Wow, I saw those guys play a few times in Toronto at CNE Stadium.  Jim Rice was charismatic, you couldn't take your eyes off of him.  And Dewey Evans, if you look up "right fielder" in the dictionary you would see his picture.  And Fred Lynn glided around out there, I never saw DiMaggio of course but that is how he was described.  They were just freaking awesome.

On 4/18/2023 at 12:31 AM, Jim Cowan said:

Wow, I saw those guys play a few times in Toronto at CNE Stadium.  Jim Rice was charismatic, you couldn't take your eyes off of him.  And Dewey Evans, if you look up "right fielder" in the dictionary you would see his picture.  And Fred Lynn glided around out there, I never saw DiMaggio of course but that is how he was described.  They were just freaking awesome.

It is interesting to hear someone outside Boston describe Rice as charasmatic, as Lynn was seen as the charasmatic one here.  Both were awesome in their primes though, even if that didn't last too long.  Evans was just the opposite.  He was like the lou Whitaker of the Red Sox, really good for a long time, but never regarded as a superstar.  I'd put him in the Hall of Fame over Rice.   

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

It is interesting to hear someone outside Boston describe Rice as charasmatic, as Lynn was seen as the charasmatic one here.  Both were awesome in their primes though, even if that didn't last too long.  Evans was just the opposite.  He was like the lou Whitaker of the Red Sox, really good for a long time, but never regarded as a superstar.  I'd put him in the Hall of Fame over Rice.   

Guys like Parker and Winfield, and Ellis Valentine, got lots of love as defensive right fielders but for me Evans was the best of all of them.  That, and a serious power bat, and a long career, should have gotten more Hall consideration than it did.

• Like 1

The A's are looking like the 03,19 and 22 Tigers right now. They're on pace for 26 wins at the moment while getting blown out most of their losses. 

Speaking of them they announced that they are agreeing to buy a bunch of land in Vegas for a future stadium site so it appears a move is coming, who knows how soon though. 

Its funny that less than 10 years ago Vegas was basically off limits for any major team event now teams are moving there, franchises are being given there and major events are constantly being held there. My how things have changed. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Its funny that less than 10 years ago Vegas was basically off limits for any major team event now teams are moving there, franchises are being given there and major events are constantly being held there. My how things have changed. 

I think a big part of this is that there’s no longer a cohort of people alive that has the 1919 Black Sox scandal as part of their living memory. 

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I think a big part of this is that there’s no longer a cohort of people alive that has the 1919 Black Sox scandal as part of their living memory. 

I think it’s the gambling laws being loosened in many states. Gambling is no longer taboo and the leagues don’t pretend it doesn’t exist anymore. They’ve basically embraced the industry, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. 

15 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

I think it’s the gambling laws being loosened in many states. Gambling is no longer taboo and the leagues don’t pretend it doesn’t exist anymore. They’ve basically embraced the industry, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. 

I think it's that too, and they're both related.

15 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The A's are looking like the 03,19 and 22 Tigers right now. They're on pace for 26 wins at the moment while getting blown out most of their losses. 

Speaking of them they announced that they are agreeing to buy a bunch of land in Vegas for a future stadium site so it appears a move is coming, who knows how soon though. 

It's a done deal. 35,000 seat stadium with semi retractable roof to be built for opening day 2027. They are one mile off the Strip and close to Football and Hockey teams in a soon to be Sports area with each stadium about a mile apart. Maybe bars and Strip clubs in between..??? Raiders- Knights - Athletes - Hookers- Strippers- Drunks and Gamblers...should be great Family entertainment 😀

I'm guessing they will be really bad until then..tank..tank..tank to Vegas Baby.

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wait, the A's hope to be play in Vegas by 2027?    So that means they'll have to play in Oakland for almost 4 seasons?   Oh, that is goin to get very ugly.      Screw John Fisher.  

They will move to a temporary home at their AAA ballpark I'll bet

7 hours ago, oblong said:

Everyone is tweeting this but to me it’s about as easy of a DP a SS can make. 

Yeah it's not like he had to actually "turn it", just a simple ground ball right to you that any High School player worth his weight in salt would gobble up followed by running to the bag and throwing it.

I guess the maybe the impressive thing was the instincts to go straight to 2nd and then make an accurate throw but even that I think any professional(including minor leaguers) would be able to do that the vast majority of the time. 

58 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

They will move to a temporary home at their AAA ballpark I'll bet

Sounds like that could be toasty in June/July.  Then again, it ain't like the current stadium in Oakland is a perfect playpen anyway.

Gotta be safe to say that we'll never see another MLB team in Oakland, right?  The Giants will claim the territory and point to the Athletics' recent attendance if Oakland comes in future relocation/expansion talks.

Its funny how these things work out.  A couple of decades ago, the Giants were rumored to be moving to Tampa.  Oakland would have had the Bay Area to itself.

Edited by casimir

Yeah they'll have a new stadium but I just don't see how things will be any better for the A's in LV. I heard they are banking on alot of the tourists going to games but really with all the things to do in Vegas why would one choose to go to baseball game when you can do that anywhere in the country? Even if they did you would need a big chunk of those people to go to the games to make any tangible difference.

As far as the local market, its a pretty small market so presumably you're not going to get a alot of people watching the games and TV ratings are like the biggest revenue source for MLB teams now. 

I guess it's going to come down to how committed to winning Fisher is,if he puts forth the resources to have a consistent winning team then maybe the locals will come out in droves but if he runs it the same way I don't see how it's going to be any different. Much like how people thought a new stadium would get people to come out and watch the Marlins. Made little difference. 

8 hours ago, oblong said:

Everyone is tweeting this but to me it’s about as easy of a DP a SS can make. 

I don't know.  Baez can't keep half of his throws to 1B out of the dirt, so I can appreciate Betts throwing on the run & jumping up off of the base.

The hardest part was the throw but still that is relatively easy play for a big leaguer. To me the most impressive thing is that there was no hesitation or indecisiveness that you may see from a player at a new position. He immediately went straight to 2nd and jumped off the base to make the throw just like a regular SS would. 

I think it just shows how talented these big leaguers are, almost all of them played SS and were the dominant player on their teams/league growing up.  I think that type of athleticism, skill and feel for the game doesn't just go away for these players. Atleast for the most part.