04/01/2023 4:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Tampa Bay Rays

casimir

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wow, platooning Schoop already, or is he hurt.    And Haase dropping from Cleanup to Ninth in one game? 

I don’t think Schoop is sitting vs a RHP is odd.  I do think Haase being moved down is odd.

10 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t think Schoop is sitting vs a RHP is odd.  I do think Haase being moved down is odd.

Nope. If Schoop's leash were any shorter he'd bump his nose turning his head. Ironically. probably also true for McKinstry - they wan't to get him into some games, see if they have anything before deciding to move on or not. I could have it backwards, and we'll know soon enough, but so far I get more of an impressoin this regime is going to be the inverse of the last one - move guys around fast - short tryouts, make it or break it and then next man up. Not so many long leisurely auditions anymore.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wow, platooning Schoop already, or is he hurt.    And Haase dropping from Cleanup to Ninth in one game? 

Seems low, but they may be playing the numbers, Haase was .576 OPS against RH starters last year, .580 for his career.  Seems to be his main career Achilles problem offensively.

(I'd still prefer him a hit s bit higher myself regardless)

13 minutes ago, StatikIEV said:

Seems low, but they may be playing the numbers, Haase was .576 OPS against RH starters last year, .580 for his career.  Seems to be his main career Achilles problem offensively.

(I'd still prefer him a hit s bit higher myself regardless)

I think Hinch likes the idea of hitting the catcher last to save wear and tear and give him more time to concentrate on his pitcher early in the game. So unless you want the bat in the top half of the order, which you don't for Haase against a RHP, then go ahead and drop him all the way to the bottom.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

If Schoop is already platooning, yikes

Should we be surprised?  He struggled in spring.  If he could be traded, it won’t be for much.  Nobody expects him to be with Detroit beyond that.  If he doesn’t hit quickly, the band aid gets ripped off.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Should we be surprised?  He struggled in spring.  If he could be traded, it won’t be for much.  Nobody expects him to be with Detroit beyond that.  If he doesn’t hit quickly, the band aid gets ripped off.

I guess not...

I do think the MO of this team is going to be to set lineups based on platoon matchups more so than past Tiger teams, but didn't expect Schoop to be a part of that, at least initially, because he's a veteran

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think it's a simple case of A.J. putting everybody into games everywhere early in the season to see who sticks where, and also, whether they see the need to get the Express going.

Right, expect a different line-up almost every day.  

16 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Welp

I think this has more to do with wanting to see McKinstry or whatever other LHH IF they cycle through. If you look at his numbers, Schoop has almost zero career OPS platoon split. Cut it a little finer it is still a muddled picture. He had a big platoon split in 21 - you might expect it to get bigger for your average player as they pass by their prime, but the ironic thing is that last year he collapsed against LHP even worse than RHP, putting up a reverse platoon split of 80 points. So no immediate reason to think he's going to be all that much better against LHP. But you would expect the LHH like McKinstry to have the bigger split to protect as most LHH do.

As noted above, the Harris regime does not seem disposed to give Schoop any legacy priority - he's going to have to play his way back into a regular job if he can.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Thing I realized earlier today...

McKinstry and Rogers are older than Austin Meadows.

I guess more important than age is team control and cost. Maybe they end up being late bloomers but if not, they didn't require a big investment.