Tigers Beat Writers Lionizing Sub-Replacement Level Ex-Tigers

Edman85

I’ll never forget when in an early game Ausmus left him in the game during a challenging situation. People ripper Ausmus. Mark came in to explain that a knock against Norris in the minors something like lacking a killer instinct or something like that.  So Ausmus was probably testing him. That stuck with me. 

29 minutes ago, oblong said:

I’ll never forget when in an early game Ausmus left him in the game during a challenging situation. People ripper Ausmus. Mark came in to explain that a knock against Norris in the minors something like lacking a killer instinct or something like that.  So Ausmus was probably testing him. That stuck with me. 

Just to be clear....that was the knock on him since high school! Soft as baby poo.

• Like 1

In those first few games after the trade, I remember that Brooks was reporting life/spin on Norris' FB way into the top percentiles. But the constant tweaking to try and fix the unsustainable unreproducible delivery and the various assorted injuries along the way soon enough resulted in that FB being long gone. The last time we saw him I didn't recognize anything interesting in his pitch dynamics. It's too bad, he seemed like a good guy at heart, but for all his supposed athleticism,  his body just betrayed him as a pitcher.  It made/makes no sense that a guy that athletic could never coordinate himself into any semblance of a normal controlled delivery.

Interesting that Micro said "since high school", it makes me picture him as a basketball player.  He would have a lousy jumper because he couldn't repeat his stroke, and would not have the competitive fire to win games in the closing minutes by the sheer force of his will power.  A brilliant athlete who is on the bench during the last 5 minutes.

57 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

When we traded for Norris he was averaging nearly 96 and topping out at 98 with over 12 inches of vertical movement, 2 years later and he was down to 92 and topping out at 94-95 with 5 inches more drop. Just a crazy drop in stuff in a short amount of time and that is just the FB. 

The problem is his stuff had been that volatile since he was on the prospect radar. You could see home one start in HS and he'd be electric and the next he was completely ordinary.

1 minute ago, microline133 said:

The problem is his stuff had been that volatile since he was on the prospect radar. You could see home one start in HS and he'd be electric and the next he was completely ordinary.

Yeah can't speak for HS but it was like that for the Tigers for sure, kinda reminds me of Manning since he has been called up for the Tigers. Haven't seen much this year but in prior years he will show flashes of electric stuff but then look relatively ordinary stuff wise other starts. 

• 2 weeks later...