Training Camp and Preseason Games

TP_Fan

12 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I need clarity on CJ's status before I lock in my Lions record prediction for the season. I've been flip flopping between 14-3 one day and 7-10 the next.

I know they won’t be worse than last year.  

The question is: Does Teddy want to become primarily and only a backup at this stage of his career?

From the Lions perspective, it's better to have him on board and learning the playbook ASAP, if they want him as primary backup. If Goff goes down, Teddy saves the season (in theory).

Maybe Sudfeld is actually a pretty good backup. But there's no way for anyone to know that, even the coaching staff. For 100% comfort-level on having a backup that saves a season versus stumbles us out of the playoffs... money is on Bridgewater, not Sudfeld.

But from Teddy's perspective, if he's stuck as a backup for right now, it's better for him to NOT sign at this point and see which team (Lions or otherwise) runs into a situation in which they need a season-saving QB like him to step in...

I don't know how many playoff-level teams are out their that are uncomfortable with their backup QB situation... I don't think many as no one wants to lose a season to this type of situation... And the Lions may even be comfortable with where their QB room is at... but Teddy definitely adds a huge boost to the Lions' room if they can get him to sign on...

Yes, extend him sooner than later. If Lions brass truly believes in him, they should do it as soon as possible before the QB market inflates more and before the team becomes too good. He probably comes in at more than $40m/yr considering the Jones contract but we're talking $50m if he and the Lions have another successful season and they wait to extend him. 

Next offseason is a big one. St. Brown and Sewell will be extension eligible (do those right away), they'll need to make a decision on Goff's extension with free agency looming, Jonah Jackson decision (I'm leaning towards not extending him) and Gardner-Johnson and Moseley will be free agents. This is when the REAL work begins for Holmes.

Edited by NYLion

23 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Gun to your head today, extend Goff or no?

I say 3 years / $120M, $90M guaranteed. Just throwing out a number. Not sure what his deal will look like. But it won’t be small.  

Gun to my head, yes.

If I am Holmes and I have the choice though, I wait. Not that I don't have faith in him, but I want to see what I've got in Hooker first (even if just in practice), and I want to see how far Goff can get us this year. If he meets or surpasses expectations, he's going to get a monster deal, and he'll have earned it.

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Gun to my head, yes.

If I am Holmes and I have the choice though, I wait. Not that I don't have faith in him, but I want to see what I've got in Hooker first (even if just in practice), and I want to see how far Goff can get us this year. If he meets or surpasses expectations, he's going to get a monster deal, and he'll have earned it.

exactly.

let him show last year wasnt a fluke.  and then let him show it again after ben johnson leaves next year.

I actually thought Kennedy showed quite well in his short stint with the Lions when the injuries piled up, he made some big catches to my recollection. This is an indication of improving talent level forcing out useful players. 

I wouldn't be shocked if he made his way back to the Lions practice squad if he makes it through waivers.

On 7/27/2023 at 10:44 AM, TP_Fan said:

Gun to your head today, extend Goff or no?

I say 3 years / $120M, $90M guaranteed. Just throwing out a number. Not sure what his deal will look like. But it won’t be small.  

Yes, he has played like a top 7-10 QB the past year and a half. He's also proven that with a good set of offensive weapons and line around him, he can be apart of a team that goes to the Super Bowl. From a purely statistical standpoint Goff has proven with Ben Johnson and Dan Campbell that he is capable enough to play consistently good and winning football. If this team had any type of defense last year during the first half of the season they are probably a 10 win team and that's largely thanks to Goff and co on the offense along with Ben Johnson.

I was so eager to chase Stafford out of town, waving around my stats about his record and stats against top 15 defenses, how he could never beat good teams, lost on the road, threw too many INTs, etc. I lost the forest for the trees. On the whole, Stafford was a good to very good starting QB and those are very hard to come by in the NFL. There's a reason why 15 or so teams are always caught in the QB carousel and we were not.

I was so eager to run Stafford out of town and I got my wish. I won't do the same for Goff. A writer on the SideLion Report website had what I would believe to be a fair contract. Give Goff (pulled from the article) 3years (through 2027), $110 million ($36.66 million per year), $75 million (basically the first 2 years, as a practical matter) fully guaranteed at signing. Anything beyond 3 years would not have guaranteed money involved. I think that type of deal is fair and equitable for both sides, unless Goff wants a 5/6 years of guaranteed money. I'd have a much harder time doing that.

I'd be perfectly fine giving him that 3/120 with 90M guaranteed, in fact I think that would be ideal for both parties. Goff gets his guaranteed money and job security for the next few years and the Lions get stability and a really good QB without committing too many years to him if they choose to want to go in another direction in the not too distant future. 

Only about 5 mins in and it is showing footage of the draft war room but it feels like it confirms that Gibbs was truly the guy they were targeting all along and that they view him as a receiver more than anything.

*right after they trade back*

Campbell: "This guy plays like a receiver"

Sheila: "Gibbs?"

Campbell: "So if we can pull this off(moving back and still getting him)"

Sheila: "Yeah awesome"

Campbell: "Oh my God yeah"

Sheila: "Yeah it would be thrilling!"

I did watch the first 30 mins of that episode before I fell asleep last night.  The entire part with Gibbs showed just how highly they had him rated. He was their guy.  When the cardinals offer came in they were already saying, “will he be there still?”  And the unbridled excitement, you could tell that is who they wanted. He isn’t just a RB. And they were both ready to pull the trigger on Jack Campbell.

Talking heads were all over the lions after the first round, but it grew on a lot of people.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'd be perfectly fine giving him that 3/120 with 90M guaranteed, in fact I think that would be ideal for both parties. Goff gets his guaranteed money and job security for the next few years and the Lions get stability and a really good QB without committing too many years to him if they choose to want to go in another direction in the not too distant future. 

I don't see any way he gets less than Daniel Jones.