Training Camp and Preseason Games

TP_Fan

1 hour ago, TP_Fan said:

I did watch the first 30 mins of that episode before I fell asleep last night.  The entire part with Gibbs showed just how highly they had him rated. He was their guy.  When the cardinals offer came in they were already saying, “will he be there still?”  And the unbridled excitement, you could tell that is who they wanted. He isn’t just a RB. And they were both ready to pull the trigger on Jack Campbell.

Talking heads were all over the lions after the first round, but it grew on a lot of people.  

Just got to the part with the Campbell pick, I kinda wonder if they were between him and Gonzalez cause you hear Campbell say "Id be fine with that too" when Holmes seemingly brings up a different outcome if Campbell is gone and then when they show the Gonzalez pick the room doesn't celebrate like did when the pick before Gibbs was announced, only Holmes saying "well its easy", basically like it was gonna be between them two but now that Gonzalez was down it was a no brain pick for them. 

Ha I love the Branch transaction. Holmes calls the Packers GM and they tell him they want 44 and 152 so Holmes tells him he'll call him back. Holmes tells the Lions team that then calls the Packers back and says "Not giving you 152" then leans back in his chair and says "Ok that sounds better" and the Packers GM settles for 159 instead. It was only 7 pick difference but I love the fact that Holmes calmly and confidently held his ground and ended up getting the better deal. Good stuff. 

On 7/26/2023 at 2:16 PM, 1984Echoes said:

The question is: Does Teddy want to become primarily and only a backup at this stage of his career?

From the Lions perspective, it's better to have him on board and learning the playbook ASAP, if they want him as primary backup. If Goff goes down, Teddy saves the season (in theory).

Maybe Sudfeld is actually a pretty good backup. But there's no way for anyone to know that, even the coaching staff. For 100% comfort-level on having a backup that saves a season versus stumbles us out of the playoffs... money is on Bridgewater, not Sudfeld.

But from Teddy's perspective, if he's stuck as a backup for right now, it's better for him to NOT sign at this point and see which team (Lions or otherwise) runs into a situation in which they need a season-saving QB like him to step in...

I don't know how many playoff-level teams are out their that are uncomfortable with their backup QB situation... I don't think many as no one wants to lose a season to this type of situation... And the Lions may even be comfortable with where their QB room is at... but Teddy definitely adds a huge boost to the Lions' room if they can get him to sign on...

I agree. I would like him to sign a 2 season contract. But I assume the playbook may be different for him? He's a totally different QB than Goff.

7 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

I did watch the first 30 mins of that episode before I fell asleep last night.  The entire part with Gibbs showed just how highly they had him rated. He was their guy.  When the cardinals offer came in they were already saying, “will he be there still?”  And the unbridled excitement, you could tell that is who they wanted. He isn’t just a RB. And they were both ready to pull the trigger on Jack Campbell.

Talking heads were all over the lions after the first round, but it grew on a lot of people.  

I watched thru the Campbell pick and it got me fired up. Let's Go!!

9 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

When the cardinals offer came in they were already saying, “will he be there still?”  

I wondered when I heard this if they were actually talking about Gibbs. I thought it could have been Bijan edited creatively to make it seem like Jahmyr.

I do think it’s clear they thought very very highly of Gibbs.

15 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wondered when I heard this if they were actually talking about Gibbs. I thought it could have been Bijan edited creatively to make it seem like Jahmyr.

I think it was Gibbs cause you hear Campbell say to Sheila something like "This guy is like a receiver" and she says "Gibbs?" and he says "so if we could pull this off.." and Sheila cuts him off and says "that would be a thrill". 

haha the thankless job of a long snapper, nobody knows or cares about you until you screw up a snap.  I think back to like 20 years ago the Giants brought back a veteran LS for their playoff run and he ended up botching a snap that cost them a playoff game. I'll never forget his post game interview where he was swarmed by reporters and said "I'd give anything but my wife and kids to have stayed retired." Gut wrenching but that's how it goes for that position.

On 7/28/2023 at 11:20 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

You start to wonder a bit if teams are getting more and more tight lipped about players they think are sleepers. If the reports are to be believed it seems many other teams had a high rating on Gibbs but the convention wisdom was that he was a second round pick according to the media. And of course the media's info is based, in large part, on what teams are telling/leaking.

Might we be seeing a case of more teams thinking [for example]: "No one's talking much about Gibbs... so we're not gonna say anything either in the hopes that he falls to where we can get him."

3 hours ago, kdog said:

6 game suspension will be an issue. He needs real game reps:

It feels intuitively like the things he has down right now is the stuff you can't teach, which I think is good. The six-game suspension sucks, but I don't think it will derail his season or anything. He'll get this whole camp to workout with Goff and learn the playbook, and he could play full games in the preseason if they really wanted him to.

It feels like "QB not on same page as WR" is a pretty standard issue in late July.

4 hours ago, buddha said:

fellas, its training camp.  lol.

Do we all need another reminder about Bonderman's change up?

And?

Specifically for Martin, if he was getting lit up during training camp he wouldn’t get any run in the regular season and that hurts the depth.  With him having a good camp, thus far, it at least gives some optimism towards DL depth.  Not everything is meaningless. 

1 hour ago, TP_Fan said:

And?

Specifically for Martin, if he was getting lit up during training camp he wouldn’t get any run in the regular season and that hurts the depth.  With him having a good camp, thus far, it at least gives some optimism towards DL depth.  Not everything is meaningless. 

its training camp.

the most important thing - BY FAR - to come out of training camp is that everyone is healthy.  most of the rest is fluff.  

this is fluff.