Training Camp and Preseason Games

TP_Fan

39 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

The more I read about Mims is he is looking good. Raymond is a lock i think so that only leaves 1 or 2 spots open. Jones will probably make it but if the like the upside of Green or Drummond and they don't think Jones has much left he may not.

Raymond is only a lock so far as he is the starting kick/punt returner. I don't think he's a lock as a WR alone. Green and Drummond both seemed destined for a practice squad spot.

6 hours ago, NYLion said:

There's zero chance that Jones or Reynolds get cut especially with Jamo out, I say that with full confidence.

Zero chance and full confidence, huh.

Reynolds gets hurt and can’t start the year and he’s getting cut.  

Reynolds gets arrested for doing something dumb and he’s getting cut.

Reynolds gets suspended by the NFL for gambling and he’s getting cut. 

Zero chance and full confidence means no qualifiers. 

In all seriousness I think this is a really good signing on multiple levels. Yes, Bridgewater will provide a quality backup and a chance of salvaging the season if Goff goes down.

More than that though (because we all hope that will never come to fruition), I think he will provide quality mentorship to Hooker, and ensure - barring injury chaos - that Hooker won’t be pressured to even dress this year, let alone see the field. Teddy has been a starter in the league, he’s been a quality backup, and (possibly most importantly) he’s resurrected his career from a pretty catastrophic knee injury. Bridgewater was originally supposed to be out for 19 months with his ACL tear and knee dislocation, but returned after about 15 months. I do think there is something to be said for the psychology of that kind of injury, and I hope he is able to pass some wisdom off onto Hooker.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Zero chance and full confidence, huh.

Reynolds gets hurt and can’t start the year and he’s getting cut.  

Reynolds gets arrested for doing something dumb and he’s getting cut.

Reynolds gets suspended by the NFL for gambling and he’s getting cut. 

Zero chance and full confidence means no qualifiers. 

Well....duh if those things happen. 

I guess I should clarify, didn't think I had to but here we are. If HEALTHY, neither guy will get cut. Ok, maybe not zero chance, lets say .00001% chance. IF either gets arrested or found guilty of gambling then, sure, it'll be 100% chance of getting cut.

Edited by NYLion

Goff is 27 and has played more than fine the last year and a half. I see no reason to replace him if he keeps playing well. In which case we did just draft Hooker to be a backup QB. Unless Hooker ends up being Russel Wilson 2.0, given where we are at right now as a team, I'd have rather used the pick to get a player who could potentially start for us this year.

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Remind me again why we drafted Hendon Hooker?

To be a long term backup solution and a potential starter if Goff falters. You didn't think he was playing this year, did you? His injury only occurred 8 months ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

To be a long term backup solution and a potential starter if Goff falters. You didn't think he was playing this year, did you? His injury only occurred 8 months ago.

I did think Hooker would be ready for some point down the line this season, but not right away. I did think someone else we could have drafted at that spot could have played and potentially started and contributed this season. I'm not going to get too worked up over this as I recognize the talent Hooker has and I recognize the fact that many 3rd round picks never start right away or amount to anything in the end. It is what it is.

15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I did think Hooker would be ready for some point down the line this season, but not right away. I did think someone else we could have drafted at that spot could have played and potentially started and contributed this season. I'm not going to get too worked up over this as I recognize the talent Hooker has and I recognize the fact that many 3rd round picks never start right away or amount to anything in the end. It is what it is.

He was injured in December or was it late November? ACL injuries usually take a year to recover from and longer to recover from fully (see Jamo as an example who played late in the year but  wasn't close to 100%)) so this year was always going to be a redshirt season. 

I get the argument that they could have drafted a guy that could be a starter or at least a rotational player in the 3rd but Holmes doesn't care about need, he cares about drafting good players and getting Hooker at that spot was good player value and a good insurance policy at the most important position in sports in case of Goff injury/ineffectiveness. I doubt they drafted him with replacing Goff in mind but I think they wanted to upgrade the QB room with a developmental guy that has starter potential.

33 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

In theory I think he will be healthy enough to play by November. But with Goff on the roster, I don’t think even Stroud or Young would have played this year, outside of a backup role.

Without pulling up statistics, it sure feels like QBs who have had a year to redshirt and learn an offense before getting hit by NFL defensive linemen have a better track record. Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, and Hurts all come to mind as guys who were allowed to have a slow start to the league.

• Thanks 1

hooker was a great gamble in round 3.  great season at tennessee.  great arm.  gets a year (or two) to sit behind goff and get better.

if you thought we drafted hooker to back up goff this year, you were misinformed.  he has a knee injury.  if you want them to draft a qb in round 3 to be a serviceable backup this year, you are also nuts.  the lions are entering a period where they should be a playoff team, you dont want a rookie backup in that situation.  go get a serviceable vet (or a really serviceable vet like teddy).

the only issue with hooker is his age.  he's 25 already.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, buddha said:

the only issue with hooker is his age.  he's 25 already.  

You don't think the fact that he was a system QB in a very specific, spread offensive scheme is at all an issue? The offense that Tennessee ran last year will likely translate very little to the NFL schemes. Tennessee lines their receivers out way wide to the sidelines on many plays. I think Hooker is a very talented QB, but I think the scheme he ran helped him out a lot too.