08/06/2023 1:40 pm EDT Tampa Bay Rays vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

28 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

Ya Haase and Rogers haven’t done him any favors with their pitch selection but Manning’s breaking ball has been broken for a while now? That’s concerning 

It would help if he would keep his FB velo up. He was trending toward 90 mpH with the FB and throwing his slider up to 84. That's not enough velo difference. Manning should be able to keep guys off balance timing wise with his curve, but he doesn't have enough command of the curve, he's either hanging it or missing with it completely.

• Like 1

I've already given up on Manning as being anything more than a serviceable number 4. He'll string together a few good starts in a row here and there to give you hope but ultimately revert right back to the player he truly is which is a mid 4s type pitcher.

BTW that's not necessarily a bad thing, there's some value to being roughly league average and giving you 5-6 innings a start but any hope of him being an All Star caliber pitcher like we envisioned at one point is long gone in my eyes. 

31 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I've already given up on Manning as being anything more than a serviceable number 4. He'll string together a few good starts in a row here and there to give you hope but ultimately revert right back to the player he truly is which is a mid 4s type pitcher.

BTW that's not necessarily a bad thing, there's some value to being roughly league average and giving you 5-6 innings a start but any hope of him being an All Star caliber pitcher like we envisioned at one point is long gone in my eyes. 

He’s our Milt Wilcox.  Was hoping for Dan Petry.

32 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Every rotation needs a Porcello. Let's hope Manning can be at least as good as Porcello was.

looking at some more pitch data for Manning, this season he's increased his slider usage about 30% at the cost of the his change and curve. I'm going to guess he did that to chase a higher K rate against RHB, but as has been noted, his slider isn't that good, and it doesn't give him as much delta Velo as he had with more curve and change-use. And without the change/curve he's now he's giving up an 815 OPS against LHB (657 in '22).  Tell me again about the brilliance of Tigers' pitching coaching? They don't seem to be pushing the right buttons with Manning.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

looking at some more pitch data for Manning, this season he's increased his slider usage about 30% at the cost of the his change and curve. I'm going to guess he did that to chase a higher K rate against RHB, but as has been noted, his slider isn't that good, and it doesn't give him as much delta Velo as he had with more curve and change-use. And without the change/curve he's now he's giving up an 815 OPS against LHB (657 in '22).  Tell me again about the brilliance of Tigers' pitching coaching? They don't seem to be pushing the right buttons with Manning.

Yes I think that the brilliance of the Tigers' pitching coaching has never extended to the starters, it was based on over-achievements in the bullpen.  Lately that has been hit-or-miss.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Losing 2 of 3 to the Rays is one thing, but there was quite a bit of sloppiness this series.  That was discouraging.

I almost commented on this last night but decided against it. I understand this team isn’t overly talented. However, the problem you note isn’t out of the norm with this team. Agree, very discouraging at this level. 

10 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes I think that the brilliance of the Tigers' pitching coaching has never extended to the starters, it was based on over-achievements in the bullpen.  Lately that has been hit-or-miss.

This regime really loves the slider. I understand why, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I still believe it's the hardest pitch on an arm.

Edited by gehringer_2