Week One: Detroit Lions (0-0) @ Kansas City Chiefs (0-0)

Some general thoughts on the game and Arrowhead:

Arrowhead was great and I would definitely recommend it to football fans. It definitely gives off something of a college football feel to an NFL stadium. Maybe it's because I was in the upper deck, but I will say that I didn't personally think it was that loud. It definitely got loud when it mattered, but I found myself saying "Ford Field can beat this", which I think they can (and maybe will next Sunday), but I am also biased... I think an indoor stadium (particularly the way Ford Field's roof is designed) is naturally inclined to provide a louder environment when it's rocking than an outdoor stadium. Though I also know the decibel records disagree with me. I also think there was a not insignificant number of Lions fans there. The speckles and seas of Honolulu Blue reminded me (sadly) of the days 5-10 years ago of The Game in Ann Arbor, where masses of scarlet would be painting the maize. But that tells you that there were a lot of us there. And at the end, you could definitely hear the "Let's Go Lions" chants. It was great.

There were some less than great aspects, which come with older stadiums. The scoreboards could definitely use an upgrade/renovation. Compared to what I've grown used to, and what the standard has become in the NFL, those things felt tiny... Also, the fireworks rained ash down on us in the upper bowls every time they went off. Judging by the comments from season ticket holder Chief fans around us, this was not usual, so not sure if it was just an abnormal wind or something. It wasn't a huge deal either, but I think I did end up drinking a bit of firework with my beer.

The truly incomparable part of the experience for me though was the people. Chiefs fans are the best opposing fans I have ever met, bar none. Now granted, I'm sure it's easier to be nice when you're playing an out-of-conference lovable opponent after hosting five straight AFC Championship games and winning the Super Bowl. At the same time though, every fan I encountered was nothing but kind and welcoming. At the end of the game, as Goff took his final knee, the Chief fan behind us went out of his way to offer to take a picture of me and my friend. Truly phenomenal. Leaving the stadium, as I mentioned, I am sure many Lions fans came across as obnoxious with how boisterous we all were. But they remained kind and pleasant, making comments like "y'all go restore the roar now" and "hope to see you in Vegas". I didn't come across a single bad apple.

Others have kind of beat the horse dead related to the game. I concur with everyone though. I think we brought a C+ performance and were still able to pull off the win, which is what good teams can do! I was very encouraged by the second-half defense and I think the offense is going to get things going in time. I thought Dan Campbell called a great game. I actually called the shot on the fake punt, which made everyone around us think there must be something in the water up here. The only thing I disagreed with was punting on the -40. I get that we don't have a Justin Tucker who can make a 57-yard field goal. Outside of getting someone who can though, I think we are better off going for it there than handing the ball to Mahomes, knowing that he can get the 30 yards back in one play, with ease. It worked out though. The officiating blunders were obvious from the upper bowl by the way, multiple times I saw the RT moving early and was calling it out, before even knowing that everyone across the country was seeing it too.

I'm really looking forward to the Seahawks game. Ford Field is going to be absolutely electric in a way I don't think Ford Field will have ever experienced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Don't have access to all PFF grades but saw the 5 highest and lowest and I couldn't believe that McNeil was our highest graded defender and 2nd only to Vaitai overall. I remember him making a stop in the backfield sometime in the 2nd half and that was the only time I recalled hearing his name called. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Don't have access to all PFF grades but saw the 5 highest and lowest and I couldn't believe that McNeil was our highest graded defender and 2nd only to Vaitai overall. I remember him making a stop in the backfield sometime in the 2nd half and that was the only time I recalled hearing his name called. 

cause pff grades are kind of garbage.

52 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Because a dt who is doing his job is stacking blockers, filling gaps, penetrating, etc., not necessarily making splash plays.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Did Malcolm Rodriguez play? I don't remember hearing his name called.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The truly incomparable part of the experience for me though was the people. Chiefs fans are the best opposing fans I have ever met, bar none. Now granted, I'm sure it's easier to be nice when you're playing an out-of-conference lovable opponent after hosting five straight AFC Championship games and winning the Super Bowl. At the same time though, every fan I encountered was nothing but kind and welcoming. At the end of the game, as Goff took his final knee, the Chief fan behind us went out of his way to offer to take a picture of me and my friend. Truly phenomenal. Leaving the stadium, as I mentioned, I am sure many Lions fans came across as obnoxious with how boisterous we all were. But they remained kind and pleasant, making comments like "y'all go restore the roar now" and "hope to see you in Vegas". I didn't come across a single bad apple

I had the same experience when I saw the Tigers play the Royals at Kauffman in 2015. It was a spur of the moment excursion during a cross-country drive where I was in the right place at the right time. Everyone was very cool to me, but then again the Royals were in the middle of a World Series year and the Tigers were garbage.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 5:08 PM, Jason_R said:

How the expectations have turned! The team went out and punked the Super Bowl champions in their home stadium on banner night, holding the league's top scoring offense to 20 points, and we are complaining about snap counts! Is this what it was like for Patriots fans all those years?

It ended up working out well for the Lions. It was finally called on 4th and 20, turning it into a 4th and 25 on what ended up being the Chiefs last offensive play. If it would have been called earlier, he would have been legal (maybe).

I’ll post the game thread after the Seahawks play tomorrow afternoon, but if the Lions can start 2-0 against two 2022 playoff teams, they will have set themselves up extremely well to “win” the first half of the season. The schedule in weeks 5-8 has what should be three very winnable games against the Panthers, Bucs, and Raiders. Week three’s bout against Atlanta should be winnable too, though they’ve made a lot of improvements and can’t be overlooked. And then there is going into Lambeau week four and going into Baltimore week seven, both very tall tasks.

What game(s) will y’all be watching tomorrow?

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’ll post the game thread after the Seahawks play tomorrow afternoon, but if the Lions can start 2-0 against two 2022 playoff teams, they will have set themselves up extremely well to “win” the first half of the season. The schedule in weeks 5-8 has what should be three very winnable games against the Panthers, Bucs, and Raiders. Week three’s bout against Atlanta should be winnable too, though they’ve made a lot of improvements and can’t be overlooked. And then there is going into Lambeau week four and going into Baltimore week seven, both very tall tasks.

What game(s) will y’all be watching tomorrow?

all of them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, romad1 said:

When i thought this team was different was taking Aaron Roger's mana away from him.   When I saw something really different: was the Chief's Andy Reid looking panicked on the sideline on Thursday night. 

Reid is a good coach. Hard to beat him, especially when he’s had time to game plan for you. 

Yes, they were missing Kelce, but we were missing Jaymo. 

Yes, they were missing Jones on a holdout, but we were missing Isaiah Buggs trying to keep him fresh for a trade for Mike Evans. 😉

4 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Reid is a good coach. Hard to beat him, especially when he’s had time to game plan for you. 

Yes, they were missing Kelce, but we were missing Jaymo. 

Yes, they were missing Jones on a holdout, but we were missing Isaiah Buggs trying to keep him fresh for a trade for Mike Evans. 😉

What we had working for us was they had that 5th columnist WR who played for us but dressed for the Chiefs.

23 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Some general thoughts on the game and Arrowhead:

Arrowhead was great and I would definitely recommend it to football fans. It definitely gives off something of a college football feel to an NFL stadium. Maybe it's because I was in the upper deck, but I will say that I didn't personally think it was that loud. It definitely got loud when it mattered, but I found myself saying "Ford Field can beat this", which I think they can (and maybe will next Sunday), but I am also biased... I think an indoor stadium (particularly the way Ford Field's roof is designed) is naturally inclined to provide a louder environment when it's rocking than an outdoor stadium. Though I also know the decibel records disagree with me. I also think there was a not insignificant number of Lions fans there. The speckles and seas of Honolulu Blue reminded me (sadly) of the days 5-10 years ago of The Game in Ann Arbor, where masses of scarlet would be painting the maize. But that tells you that there were a lot of us there. And at the end, you could definitely hear the "Let's Go Lions" chants. It was great.

There were some less than great aspects, which come with older stadiums. The scoreboards could definitely use an upgrade/renovation. Compared to what I've grown used to, and what the standard has become in the NFL, those things felt tiny... Also, the fireworks rained ash down on us in the upper bowls every time they went off. Judging by the comments from season ticket holder Chief fans around us, this was not usual, so not sure if it was just an abnormal wind or something. It wasn't a huge deal either, but I think I did end up drinking a bit of firework with my beer.

The truly incomparable part of the experience for me though was the people. Chiefs fans are the best opposing fans I have ever met, bar none. Now granted, I'm sure it's easier to be nice when you're playing an out-of-conference lovable opponent after hosting five straight AFC Championship games and winning the Super Bowl. At the same time though, every fan I encountered was nothing but kind and welcoming. At the end of the game, as Goff took his final knee, the Chief fan behind us went out of his way to offer to take a picture of me and my friend. Truly phenomenal. Leaving the stadium, as I mentioned, I am sure many Lions fans came across as obnoxious with how boisterous we all were. But they remained kind and pleasant, making comments like "y'all go restore the roar now" and "hope to see you in Vegas". I didn't come across a single bad apple.

Others have kind of beat the horse dead related to the game. I concur with everyone though. I think we brought a C+ performance and were still able to pull off the win, which is what good teams can do! I was very encouraged by the second-half defense and I think the offense is going to get things going in time. I thought Dan Campbell called a great game. I actually called the shot on the fake punt, which made everyone around us think there must be something in the water up here. The only thing I disagreed with was punting on the -40. I get that we don't have a Justin Tucker who can make a 57-yard field goal. Outside of getting someone who can though, I think we are better off going for it there than handing the ball to Mahomes, knowing that he can get the 30 yards back in one play, with ease. It worked out though. The officiating blunders were obvious from the upper bowl by the way, multiple times I saw the RT moving early and was calling it out, before even knowing that everyone across the country was seeing it too.

I'm really looking forward to the Seahawks game. Ford Field is going to be absolutely electric in a way I don't think Ford Field will have ever experienced.

Did they serve any actual Kansas City BBQ at the stadium?