Week One: Detroit Lions (0-0) @ Kansas City Chiefs (0-0)

1 minute ago, Woodrowjr said:

Couldn't sleep either last night.  Ended up rewatching the 1st quarter with NFL+.  Their right tackle did not line up incorrectly or false start in the 1st quarter.  Hutch really got screwed as the game went on.

Could not sleep either, ha! Also glad to see the national media picking up on how much Taylor’s line ups and quick starts were being ignored.

It was instant impact. 

Jahmyr Gibbs 60 yards from scrimmage and a couple of elusive plays.  We'll see more.  He's a rookie, they're gonna bring him along slowly

Sam LaPorta 5 catches and threw the KEY block on the go-ahead touchdown

Brian Branch with the play of the game Pick-6

Jack Campbell didn't play much but made a couple of athletic plays. 

Pretty darn good first game for the rookies.  

I slept fine last night.   Took my melatonin and half a gummy and I was off to never never land in about 45 minutes. 

I was extremely calm watching that game last night.   I expected them to lose so I was just hoping for a good showing.   T&P needs a gummy for every game.........BEFORE the game.       

The most impressive part is that they played a C+ game (probably due the playing the *former* best team in football), and they still gutted it out.  They never got down.  They just kept grinding.  

That was a huge win. 

Could care less about Kelce and Jones being out.  This is the NFL and injuries and contract issues happen to every team. That is why its so hard in this league to win back to back.  Good teams will have contract issues and that is why its important you win during your window. This is a huge W because its a W on the schedule that was supposed to be a L.  You need wins like this because there is always a few games they are supposed to win and they lose.  The goal is to make the playoffs and hopefully a home game (and maybe a bye).

The fact that they didn't look great and still got a win was the biggest thing I will take away from this game.

There is a reason why Mahomes is already talked about being a top 5 QB of all time.  He is that good and yes we were lucky to get some drops.  A couple of KC's huge plays should of been called back from the non false start plays (I think there were 4 obvious false starts that should of been called that weren't).  Those big plays getting called back could of been a big mental blow to a team that doesn't have a go to WR.  The pass interference was a bad call (he basically stopped and forced contact) although I think the ref is going to make that call most of the time because there was clearly contact before the ball got there.  Its a huge factor playing against the super bowl team on the first game (and a night game) because the crowd is all worked up and loud as possible.  Its hard to make changes at the line. 

One thing I will be looking at is KC's defense this good the rest of the season with or without Jones.  Because that actually surprised me.  Or was Detroit rusty and affected by the crowd more.  They are young but only one season from winning the super bowl.

Good teams win games like this.

21 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That was a huge win. 

Could care less about Kelce and Jones being out.  This is the NFL and injuries and contract issues happen to every team. That is why its so hard in this league to win back to back.  Good teams will have contract issues and that is why its important you win during your window. This is a huge W because its a W on the schedule that was supposed to be a L.  You need wins like this because there is always a few games they are supposed to win and they lose.  The goal is to make the playoffs and hopefully a home game (and maybe a bye).

The fact that they didn't look great and still got a win was the biggest thing I will take away from this game.

There is a reason why Mahomes is already talked about being a top 5 QB of all time.  He is that good and yes we were lucky to get some drops.  A couple of KC's huge plays should of been called back from the non false start plays (I think there were 4 obvious false starts that should of been called that weren't).  Those big plays getting called back could of been a big mental blow to a team that doesn't have a go to WR.  The pass interference was a bad call (he basically stopped and forced contact) although I think the ref is going to make that call most of the time because there was clearly contact before the ball got there.  Its a huge factor playing against the super bowl team on the first game (and a night game) because the crowd is all worked up and loud as possible.  Its hard to make changes at the line. 

One thing I will be looking at is KC's defense this good the rest of the season with or without Jones.  Because that actually surprised me.  Or was Detroit rusty and affected by the crowd more.  They are young but only one season from winning the super bowl.

Good teams win games like this.

I hope Kelce and Jones are back - against Green Bay, Minnesota and Chicago

Gibbs just missed a TD by slipping.  I cannot wait to see him just break away from defenders.  I thought, he looked really good in his first game.  He did not shy away from contact and he kept his legs going.  Montgomery and Gibbs looked to be a formidable duo. 

Edited by Woodrowjr

Vacationing in the UP this week, only got to listen to the 1st half on the radio stream - Watched the highlights this morning.  As thrilled as I am with a win over a great team, if a couple of drops go the other way it would be different this morning.  Still have work to do in the secondary, but really nice win.  I was a little surprised even at DC having the stones to run the fake punt inside his 20.

4 minutes ago, djhutch said:

As thrilled as I am with a win over a great team, if a couple of drops go the other way it would be different this morning.  Still have work to do in the secondary, but really nice win.  

Couldn't you say that about the Lions too though?  If Jones doesn't fumble on the 10 yard line that could have changed the game as well.  If the Chiefs don't false start every play or line up incorrectly the game would have been different.  If CJGJ doesn't drop the pick.  All I'm saying is the Lions had plenty of missed opportunities as well but they won.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've got a very mixed reaction to Goff this morning. On one hand I thought he too often locked on to the #1 read and the defense say that and got into his throwing lanes.  Too many balls batted at the line of scrimmage.

But on the other hand... he had some AMAZING throws where the ball lead the receiver perfectly into a spot... threading the needle between defenders. This throw in particular is just stunning: 

1 hour ago, Woodrowjr said:

Gibbs just missed a TD by slipping.  I cannot wait to see him just break away from defenders.  I thought, he looked really good in his first game.  He did not shy away from contact and he kept his legs going.  Montgomery and Gibbs looked to be a formidable duo. 

IDK, Gibbs looks like he's going to get hammered regularly. Gotta keep these guys healthy.

A couple of thoughts....I would like a rematch with KC at a neutral site. Say in....Las Vegas?

We get Seattle next, at a wild loud Ford Field. They beat us last year and took our playoff spot. Payback time...Seadogs.