Week One: Detroit Lions (0-0) @ Kansas City Chiefs (0-0)

27 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

First season of football living in Bears country... boy, did they not live up to the expectations set by everybody in these parts lol. 

It's almost comical the disparity between expectations and results today

omg.  its amazing.  INJECT ALL THE BEARS POSTGAME SHOWS INTO MY VEINS!!!!!

all those slappies had the bears winning this game and 10 games this season.  getting waxed by the pack is just amazing.  jeff joniak : "i'm having a hard time seeing the bears not win at least 11 games."

they really really really believe in justin fields.  btw, their #1 pick darnell wright?  awful in this game.

jalen carter, otoh, looked damn good for philly.

i was watching the pats at my friend's house.  came home and watched the bears game.  may just watch it again.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, buddha said:

all those slappies had the bears winning this game and 10 games this season.  getting waxed by the pack is just amazing.  jeff joniak : "i'm having a hard time seeing the bears not win at least 11 games."

they really really really believe in justin fields.  btw, their #1 pick darnell wright?  awful in this game.

i was watching the pats at my friend's house.  came home and watched the bears game.  may just watch it again.

I was amazed at how much some of the media and their snub fans fellated the Bears this offseason. I guess they assumed that Fields would all of a sudden turn into Hurts but the reality is that he's a really good running back disguised as a QB. On other other hand, Love looks like a good one because... of course he's a Packers QB so it's written in the stars that he'll be good.

You're right about Carter btw. I know about the off the field stuff and I like Gibbs+Laporta a lot but I still wish they just stood pat and took Carter, he's a legit gamewrecker if he keeps his head on straight which is, of course, still a big question mark.

Edited by NYLion

the bears oline is still terrible.  that's fields' biggest issue.  its the question bears fans should really be asking: is the offense bad because fields is a bad passer who cant read a defense, or is it because the oline is so bad he has zero time to throw.  i think its both.  he has no time to throw but he also just tucks and runs with no eyes downfield.  and when he does throw over the middle he gets picked.

it further justifies holmes passing on him for sewell.  fix the oline and the rest of the offense will follow.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, buddha said:

the bears oline is still terrible.  that's fields' biggest issue.  its the question bears fans should really be asking: is the offense bad because fields is a bad passer who cant read a defense, or is it because the oline is so bad he has zero time to throw.  i think its both.  he has no time to throw but he also just tucks and runs with no eyes downfield.  and when he does throw over the middle he gets picked.

it further justifies holmes passing on him for sewell.  fix the oline and the rest of the offense will follow.

How do you think Fields would fair if his O-line was as good as the Lions? Would you as a fellow Lions fans be worried that a QB like Fields, behind a good line, could give the Lions a run for their money when it comes to winning the division?

37 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

How do you think Fields would fair if his O-line was as good as the Lions? Would you as a fellow Lions fans be worried that a QB like Fields, behind a good line, could give the Lions a run for their money when it comes to winning the division?

Starting to feel like that ship has sailed. I'm sure he would do better behind the Lions offensive line, but you'd be hard pressed to find a quarterback who would do worse behind an elite offensive line.

They have to decide after this season whether he is worth offering a 5th year option to. He's sitting with an NFL record of 5-21. If he leads them to another mediocre record this year, Eberflus and Poles will be on the hot seat needing to deflect blame, if not outright fired. Fields isn't a great scapegoat for them seeing as they could have had their pick of the litter this past draft, but I also wouldn't imagine a long-term extension would be in the works.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think it's pretty hard to say at this point.  If he started out with a great OL then maybe... it all hinges on how good of a passer he is.  As dynamic as he is with his legs even just being a mediocre passer would probably make him a dangerous QB. But I think he might have had his growth stunted by horrible OLs. If he's constantly worried about being hit he isn't going to make more than 1 or 2 reads at the most before taking off. 

I remember how we used to talk about Lions' QBs getting happy feet. That they couldn't sit comfortably in the pocket for much time and seemed to be dancing back there just waiting for the hit rather than progressing through reads. I think Fields might have happy feet.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, buddha said:

The fact that they were playing the Packers was a factor in the hype we heard this week - a lot of people talked themselves into the idea that this was the time for the long losing streak to come to an end because, of course it was time for it to come to an end. Justin Fields is great, the Pack doesn't have #12 anymore, yada yada.

The Packers will have their struggles this year, new young QB and all.... but it's almost as if simply switching out #12 for Jordan Love doesn't inherently make them a 4-13 football club either.... they have some weapons on the offensive side, particular at RB, they have a pretty good defense, etc. But regardless, that's how a lot of folks I noticed, both in media and in person, approached this matchup... and as we learned yesterday, the club that's closer to being a 4-13 club is, same as it ever was, the Chicago Bears.

It really is glorius! I never thought I'd enjoy watching them lose as much as the Cowboys, but it actually gets kinda close!

Edited by mtutiger

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I think it's pretty hard to say at this point.  If he started out with a great OL then maybe... it all hinges on how good of a passer he is.  As dynamic as he is with his legs even just being a mediocre passer would probably make him a dangerous QB. But I think he might have had his growth stunted by horrible OLs. If he's constantly worried about being hit he isn't going to make more than 1 or 2 reads at the most before taking off. 

I remember how we used to talk about Lions' QBs getting happy feet. That they couldn't sit comfortably in the pocket for much time and seemed to be dancing back there just waiting for the hit rather than progressing through reads. I think Fields might have happy feet.

I don't have occasion to watch the Bears, but even a team with a bad o-line will occasionally play a team with a bad D-line and in those games a QB like Field whose offense is constrained by poor line play should be able to put up a performance that gives you some hint into what he might be able to do if he had time on a more regular basis. Has Fields been able to do that?

15 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

fields is such a good runner and the bears oline is so bad that its hard to say.  they signed nate davis from buffalo and he was AWFUL yesterday.  darnell wright is a good prospect but he's a right tackle and will take a while to get good (remember how sewell struggled early...you know, back when tp was saying how stupid the lions were for passing on fields).  fields is so physically talented that its weird that he's so ineffective throwing the ball.  if you give him - or any nfl qb - all day to throw he will find someone open.  

the bears should realize what they have and just go to an option/rpo college style offense.  using fields' legs and tricking the defense is the only way they'll be able to move the ball consistently.  its how they scored last year.  big plays from fields.

if you dont live here you dont realize just how annoying bears fans can be.  all summer long its been talk about how this is the year fields becomes a superstar.  you have numb nuts like greg gabriel mascarading as nfl analysts saying how the bears are going to win the division, blah blah blah.  chicago sports fans are usually ass holes, but this summer was especially bad.

which makes the fall of the white sox and the bears losing to green bay in week one that much sweeter.  watch, if they beat tampa there will be super bowl talk again.