Matt Shepard Out as Tigers PBP, Jason Benetti In.

mtutiger

37 minutes ago, 1776 said:

What is the status of Lance Parrish currently? Any opinions on him joining Dan on radio. In 2019 he was some kind of assistant to the GM but that GM is gone. He’s managed in the minor leagues and been successful in the bigs. I have no idea what he would be like on radio? Opinions?

while I love the 84 guys I'd like to see them move on from those guys. I really like Dirks  a get for the Tigers would be to get Grandy as the full time Color guy on TV.. He's was on this last season for an inning and he just blew CMo and Shep out of the booth.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

while I love the 84 guys I'd like to see them move on from those guys. I really like Dirks  a get for the Tigers would be to get Grandy as the full time Color guy on TV.. He's was on this last season for an inning and he just blew CMo and Shep out of the booth.

I bet Granderson doesn't want to deal with the grind. That's a tougher and tougher sell, which is why the full-time analyst is increasingly a thing of the past. Hopefully they can get 15-20 games or so out of him, but I do know he has TBS duties and charity obligations.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I bet Granderson doesn't want to deal with the grind. That's a tougher and tougher sell, which is why the full-time analyst is increasingly a thing of the past. Hopefully they can get 15-20 games or so out of him, but I do know he has TBS duties and charity obligations.

I'm sure thats the case and he probably gets paid pretty good by TBS

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I only listened to him for 1 game but I thought Alex Avila was good the time I heard him with Dan a couple seasons ago. 

He was very good.   Would it be weird with his dad's firing?      I am guessing Dirks & Scales on a rotating basis and if Curtis Granderson wants the TV gig, he should get it, but I think he''s got other things going that a bit bigger than baseball, doesn't he?  

4 hours ago, Toddwert said:

Because he was just talking to you about baseball, he wasn't trying to sell you anything and that's why Dirks is so good.  Just talks baseball..........that's all we want.    C-Mo is unlistenable.  Just stop trying to cheerlead..........do it when it's the right time.  That's one thing Rod had down (Ohhh Jackson!).       I know they'll use Gibby part of the time and I don't mind that, but you can tell that those Parkinson's meds are draining him and I hate hearing him struggle.     Petry's alright.  Maybin is alright and sounds better now than he did the first few times I heard him nationally.     Jonesy is interesting.  Not polished, but it works, but it wouldn't work 160 times.   

We don't even know who's gonna carry them next year.   Bally's is going to survive another year?

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 5:12 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Because he was just talking to you about baseball, he wasn't trying to sell you anything and that's why Dirks is so good.  Just talks baseball..........that's all we want.    C-Mo is unlistenable.  Just stop trying to cheerlead..........do it when it's the right time.  That's one thing Rod had down (Ohhh Jackson!).

Also, not only know when, but know how to cheerlead. It’s one thing to say, in a sort of excited and breathless voice, “Tigers trying to score some runs here and put this game away!”, versus, “Come on boys, let’s score some runs!”

I had such an unprecedentedly bad attitude about the team this year that I never bought TV or even radio to follow games. Not having the Tigers or all of you as a part of my life was an uncommon experience, and I hope this next season brings out the better more hopeful side of me, and the prospect of a better TV crew excites me. The way Harris cobbled the team together this year gives me hope, and I also hope that Riley Greene can stop getting hurt. I have never lived in Detroit, and I am only by the most generous definition of the term, even Detroitish from a distance. I usually hate the off-season and I might actually follow it this year. SPACE…IMG_6326.thumb.jpeg.7fd8ceea43110dca6852395700fcd014.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Also, not only know when, but know how to cheerlead. It’s one thing to say, in a sort of excited and breathless voice, “Tigers trying to score some runs here and put this game away!”, versus, “Come on boys, let’s score some runs!”

There is a point when to get excited and if you do it all the time, not only is it annoying but it doesn't describe the game.

One thing I have always appreciated about Dan Dickerson is his general excitement when someone from the other team does somethin exciting too.   That's pretty important actually and a lot of broadcasters weren't crediting the other teams impressive feats.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be fine if Mario and Rod both came back with the provision that once a week Rod and Mario would take turns making the other wear a dress. I think this would drain off the tension in their relationship There would be plenty of opportunities for non-violent revenge and they would figure out after a while how to get along.  

33 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Joe Davis, from Michigan and has mentioned that Ernie Harwell is his idol many times, just mentioned that Josh Jung has a brother who is a top prospect in the Tigers system.

Joe Davis would be great but its gonna be hard to get him away from living the good life in LA and he does a lot of national games so Bally would need a back up PBP guy

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I would be fine if Mario and Rod both came back with the provision that once a week Rod and Mario would take turns making the other wear a dress. I think this would drain off the tension in their relationship There would be plenty of opportunities for non-violent revenge and they would figure out after a while how to get along.  

According to the local rag (Detnews) :

In 2022, Allen got his first broadcasting job since the altercation, with the Miami Marlins. It's with Bally Sports Florida; contacts at Bally Sports Detroit vouched for him, especially Jeff Byle, an executive producer who will lead the search for Shepard's replacement. The relationship between Byle and Impemba isn't nearly as good. There is none.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2023/10/04/what-does-mario-impemba-think-about-tigers-fans-calling-for-return-to-tv-booth/71054740007/

so there's that.

Edited by gehringer_2

14 hours ago, Toddwert said:

Joe Davis would be great but its gonna be hard to get him away from living the good life in LA and he does a lot of national games so Bally would need a back up PBP guy

Both the Cubs and the White Sox have primary PxP guys who not only take games off so they can do national work, their contracts obligate them to privilege the national work over the local baseball work. I would really hate for the Tigers to hire someone like that.

26 minutes ago, oblong said:

How much would a guy who does just national games thorughout the year make annually?  Is it worth the daily grind of doing the same work for a team?  Do they make mid six figures?  10K a game?  I wonder how that works.

Impemba’s contract, which ran through 2018 and is estimated to have paid him more than $500,000 annually, will not be renewed. Allen was in the final year of a final-year deal, with a salary pegged at about $350,000, and had a network option for 2019 that attorneys are working to settle, according to sources familiar with each broadcaster who asked to remain nameless because of legal sensitivities.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Both the Cubs and the White Sox have primary PxP guys who not only take games off so they can do national work, their contracts obligate them to privilege the national work over the local baseball work. I would really hate for the Tigers to hire someone like that.

I guess my question is does Ballys want to deal with juggling around broadcasters when they could just bring in someone with no other jobs to worry about

10 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

I guess my question is does Ballys want to deal with juggling around broadcasters when they could just bring in someone with no other jobs to worry about

Fair question. It would seem like a lot more work for them than they need to take on.

26 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Pretty big pay discrepancy between Mario and Rod, if that report is accurate.  Basically doing the same job, the same amount of time.  I guess it’s more difficult to find a good PBP than an ex-player to do color—those guys are plentiful.

also that pay is after what 10+ years of working For FSD and The Tigers and ratings back then were much higher

44 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Pretty big pay discrepancy between Mario and Rod, if that report is accurate.  Basically doing the same job, the same amount of time.  I guess it’s more difficult to find a good PBP than an ex-player to do color—those guys are plentiful.

I wonder if the responsibilities are different?  Maybe as the PBP guy Mario does other things like narration or PR visits or hosting events. Could even be things like reading promotions during the game. While Rod can take a breather or use the restroom Mario has to read copy.  The PBP person drives the events while color guy reacts. Just spitballing.