Week Fourteen: Detroit Lions (9-3) @ Chicago Bears (4-8)

MichiganCardinal

4 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Looks like rain Saturday in Chicago turning to snow on Sunday. I love watching football in that kind of weather. I hate watching Jared Goff in that kind of weather. 

Ya know... I actually kinda hope that it's really bad weather that makes passing all but impossible. I think I trust our ground game better than their ground game. And if the passing threat of Fields is mostly eliminated then the we can focus more on stopping his ground attack.

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

How often has Goff played in those conditions? It seems this narrative developed from one game in 2018 that was clear, no wind and cold. I think it was more the Bears had an elite defense that year and not this bad weather narrative. 

I think ALL QBs suffer in bad weather. So yeah, Goff won't be as good in bad weather... but I don't think anymore so than most QBs. (Maybe QBs who's home stadium is outdoor in northern areas have a bit more experience and maybe they don't get effected by it as much... maybe.)

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Thankfully Fields fumbled twice scrambling in a dome. Can't imagine what he will look like in those conditions. 

I'm hoping that muddy conditions will make scrambling hard. Designed runs with predicted paths and lead blockers might still be an issue, but lots of quick cuts and sharp turns will hopefully be tricky.

The Lions would eliminate the Bears from NFC North contention with a win on Sunday.

To clinch the division next Saturday Night against the Broncos, the Lions would need probably too much help to fairly expect: (1) Lions beat Bears, (2) Giants beat Packers, and either (3a) Raiders beat Vikings, or (3b) Bengals beat Vikings. If all three occur, the Lions clinch the North with a win against Denver.

It's not impossible, but more likely is probably the following week on Christmas Eve in Minneapolis.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Thankfully Fields fumbled twice scrambling in a dome. Can't imagine what he will look like in those conditions. 

In half a season Fields already has almost as many rushing yards as Goff does in his whole eight year career. They are different players asked to do different things. Goff is not asked to handle the ball as a runner, and nobody seriously believes that he is particularly skilled at doing so. He has some moments, like yesterday, when he buys time in the pocket and makes a play. He also has times where he doesn’t. To acknowledge this, and to assume that a QB who is as skilled a runner as Fields is may be better suited for play in the snow and swirling winds of Soldier Field is not to say that Fields is better than Goff, that Goff sucks, that we should trade them straight up, etc. 

For this season (and for his career) Goff averages 35 passing attempts per game. If it is snowing and windy at Soldier Field on Sunday, or in any other start in Goff’s career or in any other QB’s career, I, as a fan, would not want to see them drop back 35 times. 

For the record, I think you make a very good point that Goff may have elevated some coaches, as much as many think coaches have elevated him. I also think you have a good point about selection bias in that we overlook similar mistakes by other QBs. Nevertheless, I hope Goff isn’t asked to drop back 35 times on Sunday at the Bears. If he is, that will not bode well. 

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Ya know... I actually kinda hope that it's really bad weather that makes passing all but impossible. I think I trust our ground game better than their ground game. And if the passing threat of Fields is mostly eliminated then the we can focus more on stopping his ground attack.

I love watching sloppy football. Is Ragnow heathy? Maybe I agree with you. But Fields is hard to bring down. 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The Lions would eliminate the Bears from NFC North contention with a win on Sunday.

To clinch the division next Saturday Night against the Broncos, the Lions would need probably too much help to fairly expect: (1) Lions beat Bears, (2) Giants beat Packers, and either (3a) Raiders beat Vikings, or (3b) Bengals beat Vikings. If all three occur, the Lions clinch the North with a win against Denver.

It's not impossible, but more likely is probably the following week on Christmas Eve in Minneapolis.

Like all of us, I'm "division title or bust", but when it comes to an actual playoff spot, you'd have to think that if the Lions win on Sunday to get to 10 wins they're all but mathematically in at worst the 3rd wildcard. Last year a 9-7-1 team and a 9-8 were the 2nd and 3rd wildcards (while the 9-8 Lions missed). Can't see three other non-division winners in the NFC getting up to 10. Dallas yes. But any NFC South non-division winner can't pass the Lions. So could two other non-division winners catch a 10-win Lions? Rams at 6-6 play the Ravens and Niners, Seahawks at 6-6 play the Niners and Eagles, and maybe one of 6-6 Minnesota/GB could get up to 10+ wins (and beat out the Lions for the division) but unlikely both would.

Edited by lordstanley

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Like all of us, I'm "division title or bust", but when it comes to an actual playoff spot, you'd have to think that if the Lions win on Sunday to get to 10 wins they're all but mathematically in at worst the 3rd wildcard. Last year a 9-7-1 team and a 9-8 were the 2nd and 3rd wildcards (while the 9-8 Lions missed). Can't see three other non-division winners in the NFC getting up to 10. Dallas yes. But any NFC South non-division winner can't pass the Lions. So could two other non-division winners catch a 10-win Lions? Rams at 6-6 play the Ravens and Niners, Seahawks at 6-6 play the Niners and Eagles, and maybe one of 6-6 Minnesota/GB could get up to 10+ wins (and beat out the Lions for the division) but unlikely both would.

I saw the remaining schedule for Green Bay last night and if the play the way have the last few games, they'll win out. That's 11 possible wins. 

37 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I saw the remaining schedule for Green Bay last night and if the play the way have the last few games, they'll win out. That's 11 possible wins. 

Which would give them the division title if the Lions topped out at 10 wins. It would still need 2 of Minnesota, Seattle and LA Rams to go 4-1 or better to knock the Lions out of the wildcard in that case.

5 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Lions OL > Bears DL.

Way more concerned about DJ Moore that I am with Fields. Run the ball and keep him off the field

40 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I really doubt they win out. They're playing well, but the NFL is hard and they are very young. I don't think they're even that particularly good talent-wise, I think they are just very well coached and execute exceptionally well.

I would suspect they go 3-2 or 4-1 in their remaining games. Which should probably be good enough for a wildcard spot. Not a team I would love to see in January, though we've beat them in January before.

25 minutes ago, number20 said:

Lions OL > Bears DL.

Way more concerned about DJ Moore that I am with Fields. Run the ball and keep him off the field

the bears dline is much improved.  especially since they brought in sweat.  i wouldnt assume the lions were going to run all over them.  they'll need a good game from goff and no turnovers this time.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

All the Lions have to do is beat the Bears and the Vikings once and they win the division. Minnesota and Green Bay play each other so both teams aren't going to win out. Lions would hold the tiebreaker with Green Bay and Minnesota would be at 7 losses. 

The tiebreaker with Green Bay isn’t as clear cut. Obviously we tied with them in-season so the second tiebreaker is record in-division. Wins over Chicago and Minnesota would put us at 4-1 before week 18, they sit at 2-2 right now. If they won out, we would need to win both games against Minnesota to not force the third tiebreaker, which is common games.

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The tiebreaker with Green Bay isn’t as clear cut. Obviously we tied with them in-season so the second tiebreaker is record in-division. Wins over Chicago and Minnesota would put us at 4-1 before week 18, they sit at 2-2 right now. If they won out, we would need to win both games against Minnesota to not force the third tiebreaker, which is common games.

The first tiebreaker would be division record. If the Lions beat the Bears and win one of two vs the Vikings, they would both be tied at 4-2 in the division. The Lions already won the tiebreaker in common games. The Packers lost to the Falcons and Raiders. Even accounting for a loss to Denver (which Green Bay lost to) the Lions own that tiebreaker. By beating the Vikings, they would be at 7 losses and eliminated. 

Edited by Motown Bombers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1