Utah Jazz are trading Simone Fonteccio to the Pistons for a 2024 2nd round pick

they gave up bogey AND burks to the knicks for grimes, garbage, and two second rounders?

you turned down first rounders for bogey last year and then PACKAGED him for two SECOND rounders?

what a garbage gm.

grimes is fine.  the italian dude is fine.  waiving killian is fine, i guess, but wiseman is still on this team for some unknown reason.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

what a garbage gm.

I haven't given the Pistons any significant attention for years, and I am only left to wonder WTF? So many deals resulting in what appears to be absolutely nothing.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Would Gores so much as move off of Weaver in the offseason?

Has he seen enough?

What does Monte Williams think about all of this?

letting him make all these trades tells me weaver is going nowhere.

What Vecenie said about the Fontecchio trade.

The Simone Fontecchio trade is not quite the blockbuster trade some may want, but Fontecchio has been quite good as a starter in the frontcourt for Utah this season. He hits 3s and is more than competent defensively as a hybrid 3/4 wing. Given that it's not easy to find players like him, it shouldn't be a surprise that he had been a popular target among contending teams with limited resources or ones hampered by trade restrictions in the new CBA.

The 2024 second-rounder they surrendered to the Jazz is essentially going to be a top-three choice in the second round. Gabriele Procida, the 2022 draft pick also surrendered to Utah, is also having a good season in Germany playing for Euroleague team ALBA Berlin. Procida is a wiry athlete who can attack in transition and get to the rim. If he ends up shooting the ball well, he'll have a real chance to make it in the NBA. He’s just 21 years old, so he has time.

It’ll be interesting to see the contract Detroit offers Fontecchio, a restricted free agent, in the offseason. But for now, the big issue for them has been an inability to fill legitimate, NBA-caliber rotation minutes this season, especially with players who can both shoot and defend reasonably. If they can get Fontecchio locked up for the next few years, he should provide that. They have a ton of cap space and he has a low cap hold, so this deal is essentially a way to get an extra rotation body in the door as they build for 2024-25.

It’s a deal that surprised me at first, but the more I look at it, the more it makes sense for both teams.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, buddha said:

On the flipside:

After seeing all these moves, is it enough for Gores? Does he think Bojan had a higher price last year (were any of those "1st rounder" real offers, or just rumors)?

He gave Weaver a directive to change this team before this season ends. Was it an ultimatum?

I wouldn't close the door on this. It may depend on how the Pistons finish the season with all these new kids. With some... hope? Or looking worse than ever...?

Edited by 1984Echoes

32 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

On the flipside:

After seeing all these moves, is it enough for Gores? Does he think Bojan had a higher price last year (were any of those "1st rounder" real offers, or just rumors)?

He gave Weaver a directive to change this team before this season ends. Was it an ultimatum?

I wouldn't close the door on this. It may depend on how the Pistons finish the season with all these new kids. With some... hope? Or looking worse than ever...?

if he left weaver in place and told him to change the team or else, you would imagine some short term deal for a big money guy (or a forst round pick) would result.  instead you had more movement on the edges.  i dont think this is any indication that weaver is going anywhere.  

but i dont know.  im just speculating.

4 hours ago, buddha said:

I don’t know.  I understand what you’re saying, but that also implies that Gores has rationally thought this through as an actual plan.  The phrase “rationally thought” is tricky here.

for all the justified weaver bashing, these types of trades are what they should have been doing last year instead of bringing in the likes of bagley, wiseman, and harris.  getting rid of ancient vets with limited use and instead getting younger (except for fontecchio) shooters to surround your young core.  spread the floor.

everything we all asked them to do.

the bagley/gallinari trade where you had to include two seconds to get off the bagley contract was another waste of resources.  waiting too long to trade bogey and burks so you dont get at least a first round pick was another waste of resources.  but finally getting shooting means....something?  right?  waiving killian so monty cant bench ivey or sasser is.....something?  baby steps to proper roster management?

maybe weaver has been kneecapped and tellum is making decisions now?  maybe its someone else?  cause these trade deadline day moves are almost the exact opposite of everything weaver has done to this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buddha said:

for all the justified weaver bashing, these types of trades are what they should have been doing last year instead of bringing in the likes of bagley, wiseman, and harris.  getting rid of ancient vets with limited use and instead getting younger (except for fontecchio) shooters to surround your young core.  spread the floor.

everything we all asked them to do.

the bagley/gallinari trade where you had to include two seconds to get off the bagley contract was another waste of resources.  waiting too long to trade bogey and burks so you dont get at least a first round pick was another waste of resources.  but finally getting shooting means....something?  right?  waiving killian so monty cant bench ivey or sasser is.....something?  baby steps to proper roster management?

maybe weaver has been kneecapped and tellum is making decisions now?  maybe its someone else?  cause these trade deadline day moves are almost the exact opposite of everything weaver has done to this point.

I like to think Tellum and Gores were responsible for past seasons and have now let Weaver do his job. 

Probably not but oh well.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I like to think Tellum and Gores were responsible for past seasons and have now let Weaver do his job. 

Probably not but oh well.

i think it might be the other way around with tellum/weaver.  weaver has misused assets since he got here.  he's also had a fetish for big men.  to suddenly aquire picks and trade AWAY big men is a complete 180 from the last four years.

Maybe the Pistons analytic departments came up with an algorithm where Troy types in his proposed trade and sends it out but before the other team receives it the program changes it so it is the exact opposite of what he proposed.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think it might be the other way around with tellum/weaver.  weaver has misused assets since he got here.  he's also had a fetish for big men.  to suddenly aquire picks and trade AWAY big men is a complete 180 from the last four years.

If Weaver's been kneecapped then hanging onto him seems dumb. I suppose it could just be because they don't want to make a mid-season move. I guess the answer to that question should be clear about April 15.