2024 MLB Thread

Can you place bets anywhere on when this Skenes guy blows out his arm? I know it’s unethical to do this, but I’m just wondering if it’s legal because lots of unethical things are legal. I’m not wishing ill on him. It’s just that there aren’t many human bodies made to endure this kind of punishment and injury seems inevitable. 

10 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Can you place bets anywhere on when this Skenes guy blows out his arm? I know it’s unethical to do this, but I’m just wondering if it’s legal because lots of unethical things are legal. I’m not wishing ill on him. It’s just that there aren’t many human bodies made to endure this kind of punishment and injury seems inevitable. 

Jason and Gibby were drooling over a possible Skubal-Skenes match up when we play Pittsburgh at the end of May.

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

We might know a guy that knows guy that knows a guy that knows

afd21b44-37bb-40fa-bb7f-c7e974e5406e-JA2.jpg?width=1320&height=1032&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If the Angels had fans, they'd hate him. 

You should take a look at the Angels historical attendance numbers.   37,000 average and over 3M total for nearly 20 straight years between their 2002 title and Covid.   

Edited by Hongbit

7 hours ago, Hongbit said:

You should take a look at the Angels historical attendance numbers.   37,000 average and over 3M total for nearly 20 straight years between their 2002 title and Covid.   

Just people that can't get into Dodgers games or there to see the road team. 

40 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Just people that can't get into Dodgers games or there to see the road team. 

Again no.  Orange County has its own population of over 3 million people.    It’s the 6th largest county by population in the United States.  They have had their own team separate from the Dodgers for 56 years.  

25 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Again no.  Orange County has its own population of over 3 million people.    It’s the 6th largest county by population in the United States.  They have had their own team separate from the Dodgers for 56 years.  

Why ruin the narrative with facts?

On 4/4/2024 at 3:53 PM, Sports_Freak said:

Wow...14,000 seat stadium;

We were in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago and happened to drive past the old Tropicana Hotel. Site of the proposed ballpark for the Philadelphia/Kansas City/Oakland Athletics. What a horrible location. Just something else to clog traffic on the strip during game nights.

Especially since there seems to be vacant property not far off the strip that may have room for ample parking unlike the Tropicana site. Do they really expect tourists to attend games, especially in the hot Vegas Summer months?

12 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

We were in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago and happened to drive past the old Tropicana Hotel. Site of the proposed ballpark for the Philadelphia/Kansas City/Oakland Athletics. What a horrible location. Just something else to clog traffic on the strip during game nights.

Especially since there seems to be vacant property not far off the strip that may have room for ample parking unlike the Tropicana site. Do they really expect tourists to attend games, especially in the hot Vegas Summer months?

Being right on the strip strikes me as very odd.  The Raiders are off strip, maybe even on the other side of the freeway off of the strip?  The Golden Knights I think are along the back side of the strip.

This whole situation seems greasy to me.  The exit from Oakland is one thing.  And to your point, why would they need to knock down property right on the strip for a new ball yard?  And why move when the new place isn’t going to be ready for so long?  And then there is the connection between the Athletics’ owner and the Sacramento Kings’ owner with Sacramento serving as an “interim” home.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

the Halos have fans, questionable if they still have any happy ones after the last 6 months.

The fan intensity here in the OC is way milder than Detroit. Baseball is just one of many entertainment options not a "soul passion" like Detroit. It seems strange to me still after 25 years but not weird anymore. In a way Trout seems the same way which is why he wants to stay. You would think a Philly kid would kill to win. I guess the zen got to him.

The problem here is the owner who  the fans would love to get rid of. Total incompetence. It was cool to see Ohtani and the stands were filled with his jersey. Huge asian population in the OC. That I miss but what really sucked is I would attend almost every Tiger game with my loud mouth only to eat crow almost every game. Detroit plays terrible here. Really bad. Like the Porcello game bad. I miss Tiger stadium.

The Vegas Golden Knights play at T Mobile Arena, which is behind NY NY.  I've been there twice during the season and tickets were impossibly high.

The Tropicana site is on the southern tip of The Strip and frankly, it's kind of dead down there.  Once you reach NY NY and MGM you turn around and go back North.  

And I don't expect visitors to go to a game in the summer if it's outside.  Vegas in the summer is very hot and uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Kendall Baker at Yahoo Sports AM thinks it's still this:

Ohtani scandal deepens: Former Angel David Fletcher, who was one of Shohei Ohtani's best friends, placed bets with the same illegal gambling operation at the center of the ongoing scandal.

The absolute nightmare scenario for MLB.       This along with the Xfinity fiasco,  and the avalanche of injuries.............things aren't going well for baseball right now.