Need advice: Top three Tigers...

A little project I'm working on that I need opinions on the top three Tigers of all time. Try not to let recency bias effect your decision as much as possible.

I'm thinking #1 and #2 are Ty Cobb and Al Kaline, but I'm open to being persuaded if you think otherwise.

29 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

A little project I'm working on that I need opinions on the top three Tigers of all time. Try not to let recency bias effect your decision as much as possible.

I'm thinking #1 and #2 are Ty Cobb and Al Kaline, but I'm open to being persuaded if you think otherwise.

Are pitchers included?

20 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I wouldn't put any pitchers in the top three.  If Verlander had played his entire career with the Tigers, I'd probably put him in there but not based on his time with the Tigers.  

Well, I'm not sure if Chris is strictly looking at a statistical top 3 or just people's opinions. Cabrera was by far the best Tiger hitter I saw in my lifetime. It's hard to judge players from a different era to today's game. Especially when we never saw some of them play. All we can go by is stats...

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I

Top 3 is easy.  If he said top 5, it gets more interesting.  

then you'd get into a nice peak vs longevity argument.  especially with greenberg vs trammell/whitaker.  

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The only other one I might move up to third is Greenberg.  If you take his predicted output from his wwii years, he gets close to Gehringer, but I'd probably still take Gehringer.  

The full years before and after his seasons affected by the military service, Greenberg had WARs around 6.  His 162 game average WAR was higher than Gehringer.

Or how about this wrinkle.  Cabrera is actually below both in Tiger career WAR per baseball reference.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The only other one I might move up to third is Greenberg.  If you take his predicted output from his wwii years, he gets close to Gehringer, but I'd probably still take Gehringer.  

Just going by stats, I would go with Kaline, Cobb and Greenberg. But opinions? I would have to squeak Cabrera in there somehow. The recent Triple Crown, multiple HR and RBI titles, 3000 hits and 600 home runs are very hard to ignore. Older player stats great but Miggy was just so recent. A generational talent