5/6/24 6:10PM Tigers @ Guardians

Torkelson, however, has failed to do damage on the most hittable of pitches. He has whiffed at 9 percent of middle-middle pitches. He has put 18 of 43 middle-middle pitches in play and averaged an exit velocity of only 91 mph with a 13-degree launch angle. He is credited with a hard hit — a ball with an exit velocity of 95 mph or greater — on 10 of those 18 batted balls but has only produced one barrel, defined as a ball where the combination of exit velocity and launch angle leads to a minimum .500 expected batting average and 1.500 slugging percentage.

https://theathletic.com/5473193/2024/05/06/tigers-spencer-torkelson-struggles-offense-defense/

The thing with Tork is sure a puzzle but I'm not sure what can be done.  Anything a writer or person twitter or the internet can say or offer is obviously already known to the team and to him. Sometimes the body can't or won't do what it needs to do.  Hitting is hard. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

The thing with Tork is sure a puzzle but I'm not sure what can be done.  Anything a writer or person twitter or the internet can say or offer is obviously already known to the team and to him. Sometimes the body can't or won't do what it needs to do.  Hitting is hard. 

I have to say that the one thing that characterizes Torkelson is that he doesn't appear very mentally bright.   I wouldn't ask him to work out the details of an employee picnic based on some of the things I've seen him say and do.   The pizza pizza celebration was unintentionally brilliant tweaking of the mothership, i can't say I perceive any actual subversion behind it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, oblong said:

Frankly, I hope he's not listening to anybody on Twitter.... the amount of anger he generates, geez, even if he turns it around I'm not sure he'll ever be accepted here.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Frankly, I hope he's not listening to anybody on Twitter.... the amount of anger he generates, geez, even if he turns it around I'm not sure he'll ever be accepted here.

I'm pretty sure that Tork won't have a high ceiling. I just need him to be decent for a year or two until they figure out how to replace him. The worst case scenario is being an unplayable boat anchor.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Hey, he is on pace for 50 doubles…and obviously 0 homers. 🤦🏻

image.png.b219c46b58aea235d0d5cd53df056325.png

Is it possible Torkelson is just a slow starter?  There's not much resume to work with, the above are his splits for last season.  But this happens to some ballplayers, such as Maeda.

4 minutes ago, kdog said:

I'm pretty sure that Tork won't have a high ceiling. I just need him to be decent for a year or two until they figure out how to replace him. The worst case scenario is being an unplayable boat anchor.

I don't know what his ceiling is at this point.... but I do think he is capable of turning it around.

Regardless, I don't see how he recovers his standing with the fanbase even if he does turn it around. To borrow a phrase from contemporary politics, it's appears to have gone beyond "frustration" into "negative polarization" with a lot of folks, at least on Twitter IMO

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

Is it possible Torkelson is just a slow starter?  There's not much resume to work with, the above are his splits for last season.  But this happens to some ballplayers, such as Maeda.

He never does anyhing when it counts.  He doen't start hitting until they are already out of the race.  He just doesn't care.  Too soft. 

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

The relative lack of hard hit rate differentiates this year from last year, IMO. 

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

The relative lack of hard hit rate differentiates this year from last year, IMO. 

Which is ironic given he hit the ball hard last season, but BABIP was unkind.

56 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Some players are like that.  Tony Clark, Carlos Pena, ...The anger seemed to start as early as 2022.  It might be the high expectations.