5/6/24 6:10PM Tigers @ Guardians

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, oblong said:

Would Nick have signed?  

As I recall, Nick asked for an extension when approached by Gardenhire about working out at first base. I can guess that didn’t land well with the Tigers front office. 
My suspicion has always been that the Tigers weren’t really committed to keeping Nick. Again, Gardenhire was a temporary manager and it wasn’t a secret at all. To what degree Gardy really gave a crap what Nick said, one way or another, who knows. Maybe the Tigers were committed to bringing the team salary into a certain window and extending Nick would have created problems there. 
so to answer your question, I don’t believe Detroit was interested in keeping Nick. They were getting top draft picks and opted to move on in that direction. 
What’s your take? 
Rereading this I’ll add, I believe if the Tigers had made a realistic and good faith offer early on Nick would likely have signed. I think things between the two parties had soured to the point that both sides weren’t interested in the end.

Edited by 1776

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Andre Lipcius is hitting .320 with 9 HR in Triple A.      Wasn't good enough for us, though.  

How much evidence do we need to say that AAA and spring training stats don't matter? 

Edited by kdog
  • Thanks 2

Just now, kdog said:

How much evidence do we need to say that AAA stats don't matter? 

It is the PCL, but Andre had some good stretches in the minors with the Tigers, he just didn't sustain them. If he turned the corner  - good for him.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

As I recall, Nick asked for an extension when approached by Gardenhire about working out at first base. I can guess that didn’t land well with the Tigers front office. 
My suspicion has always been that the Tigers weren’t really committed to keeping Nick. Again, Gardenhire was a temporary manager and it wasn’t a secret at all. To what degree Gardy really gave a crap what Nick said, one way or another, who knows. Maybe the Tigers were committed to bringing the team salary into a certain window and extending Nick would have created problems there. 
so to answer your question, I don’t believe Detroit was interested in keeping Nick. They were getting top draft picks and opted to move on in that direction. 
What’s your take? 
Rereading this I’ll add, I believe if the Tigers had made a realistic and good faith offer early on Nick would likely have signed. I think things between the two parties had soured to the point that both sides weren’t interested in the end.

I am not sure on giving a guy like him a long term deal.  I was surprised he got the money he did so that shows what I know. I was never high on the guy. I think he fits in when he’s among talent but not a key guy.  The Tigers were bent on tearing it down despite what they say. 

• Like 1

Not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind seeing some prospects moved for legit MLB hitters about now. This pitching staff is good enough to contend for the AL crown, and it's being wasted on this moribund offense. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind seeing some prospects moved for legit MLB hitters about now. This pitching staff is good enough to contend for the AL crown, and it's being wasted on this moribund offense. 

I agree. I don’t know what prospects would bring back but I believe this pitching staff is good enough to keep the team in it with the addition of a bat or two. They don’t even have to be top tier bats. 
I’ll never know how much    $$$ Harris has to spend, provided he would even do so. 

Edited by 1776

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Seeing how Sand Diego just got one of best hitters in MLB in Arraez for basically a bag of baseballs and their #7 prospect, clearly that deal would have been too spicy for our smartest guy in the room Scott "Brad Pitt Billy Bean" Harris...imo he sucks, and I dont care if it's only his second season, I didnt buy his bullsh*t, especially when the first thing he said when he came in was "our top priority is going to be all about plate discipline and professional hitting approach!", then he proceeds to keep Harvy, who is literally the antithesis of Scott's intial mission statement.  "But, but Dtrain, Scott wasnt just gonna cut Javyyy!!"...well, if he was a man of conviction who stands by what he says, he should have cut Javy to prove his conviction to the rest of his team and the fans..and if Chris told him "no, you cant cut Javy", then a man of conviction says "ok Chris, it's either me or Harvy", then resigns if the owner undercuts said convictions.  Point is, Harris is full of **** and doesnt know what he's doing.  

And all that's not even to mention the Soto trade debacle that left Harris looking like a buffoon and left holding the bag...

Edited by Dtrain72

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kdog said:

It's not as glamorous and he's already past it but it strikes me that Hinch is really cut out to be a pitching coach. You listen to him talk baseball and he lights up talking about pitching and pitchers, both his own and the other guy - but it's like hitting is terra incognita to him.

Edited by gehringer_2

Cleveland, KC, and Minnesota won tonight. If Harris is counting on competing in a weak division this year I’m thinking he may be wrong. Cleveland hired a good manager. KC added some pieces late. Minnesota has been on a role recently. 

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

The Tigers have a serious problem. It isn’t going to fix itself. 

in the Winter of '27, Harris will be done assessing and will makes some a-ma-zing moves, just wait, it'll be awesome

• Haha 1