5/24/24 6:40PM Blue Jays @ Tigers

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I'll be the guy that wasn't impressed by only 3 runs in the 4th.  Bases loaded with none out and the runs scored on a botched sac fly / error, a hit by pitch that got shoelaces, and an infield ground out.  No actual hits to bring runs in.  Just fortunate luck.

Yup. Have to 2nd the emotion. The Jays gave this one away in the 4th without all that much help from the Tigers. 2 HR is nice but 7H and only 2 by RH bats. McKinstry again made his case for Javy to stay at short. Still, it's a win.

14 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

Gibson's announcing makes baseball about as exciting as Joe Buck's announcing makes football exciting.

Gibson has no energy, no inflection in his voice.  My god he is awful.

You know that Kirk Gibson has Parkinson's, right?     The medication he takes for that has horrendous side effects.    Most people on "Parky" meds wouldn't even want to get out of bed because it's so incredibly draining (which is why he only does some games and not all games anymore).  Kirk is a pilot - he can no longer fly a plane because of that.   I doubt he can even drive a car anymore.       

He's not "boring" now, he's just drained (without the meds he'd be in constant pain and would have even more limitations in abilities).  Faced with what he's going through - EVERY SINGLE WAKING MOMENT in his life right now, I'm gonna cut him some slack.    This might be the only thing he has to really look forward to doing and he can only do it a little bit.     Have a heart.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Keith with an .840 OPS in May coming into this one so he's starting to find his stride, unfortunately it coincides with Greene falling off a cliff offensively. 

Fire Hinch!

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You know that Kirk Gibson has Parkinson's, right?     The medication he takes for that has horrendous side effects.    Most people on "Parky" meds wouldn't even want to get out of bed because it's so incredibly draining (which is why he only does some games and not all games anymore).  Kirk is a pilot - he can no longer fly a plane because of that.   I doubt he can even drive a car anymore.       

He's not "boring" now, he's just drained (without the meds he'd be in constant pain and would have even more limitations in abilities).  Faced with what he's going through - EVERY SINGLE WAKING MOMENT in his life right now, I'm gonna cut him some slack.    This might be the only thing he has to really look forward to doing and he can only do it a little bit.     Have a heart.  

I know he has Parkinsons.  And that affects his announcing. 

You enjoy listening to him? He has a job that requires him to speak and at least sound like he cares about the game.  He can't do the job.  I guess by your argument, the Tigers should only let players go when they want to retire. I know he can't hit but this might be the only thing he looks forward to...keep him on the roster.

1 hour ago, tiger2022 said:

You enjoy listening to him? He has a job that requires him to speak and at least sound like he cares about the game.  He can't do the job.  I guess by your argument, the Tigers should only let players go when they want to retire. I know he can't hit but this might be the only thing he looks forward to...keep him on the roster.

They held onto Jim Price well past his sell by date. Gibby deserves the same benefit

3 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

Take voice strength out of it.  I get more baseball out of Gibson or Petry than Monroe or Jones.

48 minutes ago, casimir said:

Take voice strength out of it.  I get more baseball out of Gibson or Petry than Monroe or Jones.

That’s especially true of Petry, but Dan Dickerson can also get some usefulness out of Monroe.

54 minutes ago, casimir said:

He can get a little silly and drive something into the ground that would be better let go, but the guy that I have the most trouble listening to is Petry. Great guy and fine in small doses but when he gets wound up it's like he won't even take time to come up for air - coming at you rapid fire and then with the stutters to boot - just too fatiguing to listen to sometimes.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That’s especially true of Petry, but Dan Dickerson can also get some usefulness out of Monroe.

In what I have heard, Monroe's analysis tends to be better on the radio, no doubt in part because Dickerson keep things more focused on the game than Benotti does but probably also because he probably feels freer to be honest. Radio clips don't end up viral on twitter very often.....

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Yes, I really feel for him.  A teacher at the school I am at had to retire due to Parkinsons.  He is brilliant and his mind is still there, but he has no energy.  It is killing him that he had to retire.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I like Petry best, but Gibson is easily better than Monroe and Jones.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I haven't listened to him this year but in years past I always liked Petry, I thought he was the best out of the bunch(not saying much) but judging by your guys responses I guess he has gotten alot worse.

I think Petry is great.  

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, I really feel for him.  A teacher at the school I am at had to retire due to Parkinsons.  He is brilliant and his mind is still there, but he has no energy.  It is killing him that he had to retire.

My MIL developed it late and the progress was rapid. At then end the choice became upping dosages to where the body was able to maintain but the person was no longer there or have the person and know that the body was going to shut down sooner.

15 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

In what I have heard, Monroe's analysis tends to be better on the radio, no doubt in part because Dickerson keep things more focused on the game than Benotti does but probably also because he probably feels freer to be honest. Radio clips don't end up viral on twitter very often.....

Does Monroe measure what he says more carefully on television because he is afraid of being ridiculed on Twitter?

On 5/24/2024 at 10:58 AM, 1776 said:

The latest ‘Have a Seat’ podcast is a good one with Jake Rogers. 

Very telling moment at the end—Dickerson and Benetti always ask the guest to suggest the next guest for them. Hinch suggested Skubal during the first episode, then Skubal suggested Rogers during the second.

When they asked Rogers at the end, he thought for a second and said “Javy Baez”, and there was some chuckling in response. Then Rogers basically said naw, I’m kidding, he would be a hard get. Then he suggested the catching coordinator instead.

That tells me a LOT about how Baez might well be regarded by the rest of the team: as basically an island unto himself. One more data point in support of the hypothesis that Javy is on the team, but not of the team.

I think Rogers settled on Faedo for the next podcast. I think that would be an interesting one to watch.

Yeah, It was an almost awkward couple of seconds after Baez’ name dropped. Telling.

It was mentioned during the TV broadcast that JK Simmons was interviewed, but I don’t think it was specific about being for the podcast or not.

But, yeah, the Baez comments…..  Do we think Baez as subscribed to the pod?