Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They should be on the hot seat if Lance is not the guy. They could have had Stafford for less. Not only did they not get Stafford, he went to a division rival and beat them in the NFC Championship game and won a Super Bowl. 

I agree. And I suspect the apparent miss on Lance was related to Malik Willis’s slide this year. 

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

kyle shanahan?  the guy who won two road playoff games and got within a possession of beating the rams in LA in the championship game?  all with a shitty qb?

that guy is going nowhere.  he's a great coach.

He could have gotten a better QB for less than what he gave up for Lance and won a Super Bowl. 

Maybe I had it backwards but I thought I remember hearing recently that Shanahan didn't want Lance but instead was interested in Jones but Lynch wanted Lance? Or perhaps it was they both didn't want Lance but ownership did? Either way unless it was in fact Shanahan that forced their hand to draft him I don't think it's fair to him to put the blame on him. 

I do agree about the Stafford thing though, even at the time of the trade rumors I remember thinking the 49ers were the perfect fit for Staff and was wondering why they didn't pursue him. Perhaps they did but we turned down their deal cause Holmes really wanted Goff instead of Jimmy G? 

I'm go out on a limb and day it won't happen very often where a team wins 9 games and wins a playoff game on the road in Green Bay. Now imagine what Shanahan could have done with Stafford when they would've won the division and had home field. 

yeah, he might've even gotten to the nfc championship game!

ok.  go ahead and have your last word on your ridiculous debate that shanahan isnt a good coach because the 49ers front office didnt trade for matt stafford.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

yeah, he might've even gotten to the nfc championship game!

ok.  go ahead and have your last word on your ridiculous debate that shanahan isnt a good coach because the 49ers front office didnt trade for matt stafford.

I absolutely did not say Shanahan isnt a good coach. Go ahead and quote a post of me saying that. I'll be waiting. 

Missing on a QB switch is an easy way to create controversy in a front office. Missing on a massive trade is another way. Doing them both at the same time won't go unnoticed. 

But I don't see how they trade Jimmy G at this point. They turned down the offer of a 2nd round pick already. And what team is going to give up a 1st for a QB who will have to come in and learn a new system without being able to throw until July?

The 49ers are walking a tightrope. They need Jimmy G but they can't admit it because that would be admitting failure on Lance. Also the team responds to him and performed well with him. What do your players think if you dump a QB who has won games for a kid who hasn't proven himself in practice, just so the GM and Coach can validate their bad decision?

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Because the reports are that in year two they still don't believe he is ready to be the QB, and the 49ers have been underwhelmed by him.

Ah, those anonymous reports again.

I see them still very much in the playoff window with a favorable schedule.   There has been no market for an injured Jimmy G, so really no point in giving him away when he can be an ample backup plan should Lance fail when given a shot.  

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Ah, those anonymous reports again.

I see them still very much in the playoff window with a favorable schedule.   There has been no market for an injured Jimmy G, so really no point in giving him away when he can be an ample backup plan should Lance fail when given a shot.  

There is a point in giving Garoppolo away. The 49ers clear $25 million in cap space if they do. 

The anonymous reports were also right that the Rams were wanting to move on from Goff and interested in Stafford. 

There is a point in giving Garoppolo away. The 49ers clear $25 million in cap space if they do. 

The anonymous reports were also right that the Rams were wanting to move on from Goff and interested in Stafford. 

OK. So there is a reason to give Jimmy G away.   They will need that call space.   Still think it’s too early to bust on Lance especially based on anonymous reports.  I’m not going to debate the accuracy of anonymous reports.   That’s a waste of time.  

52 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Why do people think Trey Lance is a bust after only one year where he sat on the bench as planned?    

I was about to say the same thing. It may have been in the 49ers best interest to truly redshirt him, and not even have him dress for a game last year (a la Jordan Love’s rookie season), to allow him to be the backup this year and perhaps take over as starter next… the way they treated him last year, I think unfairly raised the public perception of his expected role this year.

Everyone knew he was not ready coming into the draft last year. There is a lot of projection occurring for what “should be” his trajectory, when really, whether it’s in year one or year four, so long as he ultimately becomes a quality starter and the 49ers don’t give up on him first, the pick was a good one.

He was one of my favorite prospects last year, I’m certainly not ready to call him a bust if Jimmy G is starting for the 9ers this fall.

I don't know about the logic of trading three 1st round picks for a guy that will sit at least two years. On top of that, Lance basically sat out his final season in college so he would have been redshirted for two seasons. By this point, you are almost halfway through his rookie contract before he even becomes a full time starter. The other thing is the 49ers had options. Stafford was there for the taking and would have fit perfectly into Shanahan's offense. Instead they paid more for a risky project QB while Stafford went to their division rival and eliminated them from the playoffs en route to a Super Bowl. 

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't know about the logic of trading three 1st round picks for a guy that will sit at least two years. On top of that, Lance basically sat out his final season in college so he would have been redshirted for two seasons. By this point, you are almost halfway through his rookie contract before he even becomes a full time starter. The other thing is the 49ers had options. Stafford was there for the taking and would have fit perfectly into Shanahan's offense. Instead they paid more for a risky project QB while Stafford went to their division rival and eliminated them from the playoffs en route to a Super Bowl. 

He sat for a year as planned.  It is too big of leap to make the call right now that he will sit again this year.  

22 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

He sat for a year as planned.  It is too big of leap to make the call right now that he will sit again this year.  

I was responding to the post above about sitting him effectively two years. A QB you draft 3rd overall and invested three 1st round picks should be starting by year two. If he is unable to win the job in year two, that is not a good sign. Lance may end up winning it by default since Garoppolo is injured and has a history of injuries. 

I've been glad to watch the Lions build this team up instead of reaching on a QB. Way too many other holes & depth needed.  All of the earlier talk about Zach Wilson & Trevor Lawrence being able to take a step forward - why is it not possible for Goff to do the same, in year 2 in this system?  I'm not expecting him to be Rodgers or Mahomes, but with a good OL, & decent running game, and perhaps most importantly a coaching staff that builds him up, I think he could take a big step forward.

• Like 1

I’m not sure Goff even needs to take a step forward. 

He started six games after Campbell took over playcalling. The team averaged 22.7 points during that stretch. Over a whole season that would have been good enough for 18th, just ahead of the Raiders, just behind the Ravens. 

In the eight games he started with Lynn calling plays they averaged 16.75 points. That would have been good for 29th, just ahead of HOU, NYG, JAX. 

Presumably the return of Ragnow, the additions of Chark and eventually Jaymo, and a full offseason with a new OC will help the offense improve even if Goff does not. It is not out of the question that, even with no improvement from Goff, the Lions could move from the 25th ranked scoring offense to the 15th. Still not great but respectable, even if Goff doesn’t improve appreciably from how he finished last season.